Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Umpires get a replay Wrong

And it never ceases to amaze me that the announcers don't know the rules, either. That MLB video is prima facie evidence that all four umpires are just plain ignorant.

And, forgive me, but no MLB umpire should have a stomach the size of Ebbets' Field.

Last edited:
And it never ceases to amaze me that the announcers don't know the rules, either. That MLB video is prima facie evidence that all four umpires are just plain ignorant.

And, forgive me, but no MLB umpire should have a stomach the size of Ebbets' Field.

Sorry, I don't get this. Who cares if an umpire is the size of Richard "Refrigerator" Perry as long as he does the job correctly.

Sorry, I don't get this. Who cares if an umpire is the size of Richard "Refrigerator" Perry as long as he does the job correctly.

Seriously.

Umpires barely need to move around at all, no more than a couple steps in either direction to get into position to see a play.

I say he can't do it as well if he's old, slow and out of shape.

I say he can't do it as well if he's old, slow and out of shape.

Really, because obviously slim Umpires like Bill Hohn, Bill Welke, C.B. Bucknor, and Angel Hernandez never get a call wrong, or do a bad job right?

Even with four-man crews, umpires have to move quickly and travel a bit to get into proper position. They can rotate from base to base, get into the outfield, and have to be in position for rundowns.

They are not statues who pivot, and guys like Culbreth are not in condition to move as fast as the game demands of them.

Even with four-man crews, umpires have to move quickly and travel a bit to get into proper position. They can rotate from base to base, get into the outfield, and have to be in position for rundowns.

They are not statues who pivot, and guys like Culbreth are not in condition to move as fast as the game demands of them.

They don't really have to move very far to get into position. Can't think of any scenario which would require an umpire to move a lot to get into position.

They don't really have to move very far to get into position. Can't think of any scenario which would require an umpire to move a lot to get into position.

Why don't you tell me about your personal experiences as an umpire, in regards to getting into proper position to make a call, so I can compare them to my own?

Snark aside, often times the HPU needs to get to third to anticipate a play if the 3BU leaves his spot to judge a catch-play. Which means the 1BU has to rotate to home plate, because once any umpire leaves the infield, he does not return to his position. (in a four-man crew).

It's not as easy as it appears to be.

Last edited:
It's not as easy as it appears to be.

And yet they still seem to get it done.

Umpires often make bad calls or miss them, but I can't think of a single time where a call was missed because an umpire didn't hustle to check out a play 90-feet away.

And yet they still seem to get it done.

Umpires often make bad calls or miss them, but I can't think of a single time where a call was missed because an umpire didn't hustle to check out a play 90-feet away.

I can. Umpires are consistently out of position. Even in the MLB. And that's not really the line of this specific discussion. We are debating whether or not an umpire has "to move a lot to get into position." They often do. Sometimes they are not in the right spot when they don't have to move very far.

Here's an example:

baseball_galarraga_joyce.jpg

Joyce is 90 degrees to the throw as it taught, but, you have to change locus on any call. If he moves two feet to his right, it's a perfect game. As I recollect, Cabrera made this play which is why he didn't move off his position A. But you have to move a little and get set before the call.

Here's another one:

images

Cuzzi is well past the first base extended line and does not see that no tag is applied. He called this game-winning run as out and the Giants ended up losing the game.

You can see the difference, even from directly back of the plate:

giantsmetscallx-large.jpg

And one more:

phil-cuzzi-twins-yankees-b4e2c495297165bc_large.jpg

Cuzzi again. He's too close, on the move and, because of that, he loses track of the ball. He never picks up the ball and follows it to the ground like you are supposed to; he's focused on the foul line, which is the exact way to ensure you will blow that call if it's close. What you do there is literally track the ball and watch it land. The HPU could have called that correctly with ease.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClQ1H8eJ0w

Last edited:
I thought we were debating if an umpire should be allowed to be fat. You keep saying it's a different argument/debate, but the reason I responded (and I think mjsb) was because of a fat umpire, or to quote: "stomach the size of Ebbets' Field".

And none of the umpires you showed being out of position appear to be overly fat, old, or slow, so I fail to see how it correlates to the point you're trying to make.

And the Jim Joyce call, does anyone here really think it had anything to do with positioning? You're assuming he gets it right if he's 2 feet to his right, but that's just wild speculation.

I thought we were debating if an umpire should be allowed to be fat. You keep saying it's a different argument/debate, but the reason I responded (and I think mjsb) was because of a fat umpire, or to quote: "stomach the size of Ebbets' Field".

The line of conversation was what I said it was. It had changed.

And none of the umpires you showed being out of position appear to be overly fat, old, or slow, so I fail to see how it correlates to the point you're trying to make.

See above.

And the Jim Joyce call, does anyone here really think it had anything to do with positioning? You're assuming he gets it right if he's 2 feet to his right, but that's just wild speculation.

It's not wild speculation, it's personal experience of making similar calls myself a few thousand times. He was not in a position to see the separation of the runner from the base.

Back