Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

USA 2 Portugal 2 Final

Bradley had a nice shot to just kick it back into their zone... what's he do? Chips it 50 feet.

Fucking hell.

Calm down guys. It isn't a horrible result. If we're scared to go into a do or die vs germany, we probably don't belong in the round of 16 anyway. Destiny is still in our hands.

I really think we needed to be able to rest some guys which would have happened if we had won like we were suppose to in the position we were in I the last few seconds.......It really feels like a loss.. It will be hard to regroup...
We have a ton of guys banged up...

Last edited:
yeah, I think we hold tie breakers with both Portugal and Ghana, unless Germany beats us 3-0.

Or Portugal or Ghana win in a rout verses each other.. More so Ghana then Portugal who we only beat by one..

If we win or tie against Germany, we advance. If we lose and Ghana beats Portugal, there is a chance that Ghana could take the 2nd spot.

The tie-breakers in order are:
1. Goal differential (goals scored - goals allowed)
2. Goals scored
3. Head-to-head match-up between tied teams. We beat Ghana, so we'd advance if it got to this tie-breaker.

Currently we have a +1 goal differential, while Ghana has a -1 goal differential.
We have scored 4 goals and Ghana has scored 3 goals.

If we lose to Germany by one and Ghana does not beat Portugal by more than 1, we're almost guaranteed to advance. But I like the way we've been playing and even though Germany is one of the best teams in the world, I think we have a chance to tie or maybe, if we play our best possible game, beat them.

If ghana and portugal tie, we're in no matter what we do.

I am not worried about a Tie which I knew about.. I am worrying about either team winning in a rout if we lose to Germany by more then goal... Portugal is in trouble But I think all Ghana has to do is win by 2 goals and we could be in deep trouble.. And if we lose to Germany by 2+ goals thing get dicey..

One lack of defensive concentration changes the whole team dynamics.... Seconds from resting key injured players...Now we have to tie Germany who is coming off a 2-2 tie.. Going into this tournament we all would have said we would be lucky if we keep a game close with Germany.

Last edited:
If we win or tie against Germany, we advance. If we lose and Ghana beats Portugal, there is a chance that Ghana could take the 2nd spot.

The tie-breakers in order are:
1. Goal differential (goals scored - goals allowed)
2. Goals scored
3. Head-to-head match-up between tied teams. We beat Ghana, so we'd advance if it got to this tie-breaker.

Currently we have a +1 goal differential, while Ghana has a -1 goal differential.
We have scored 4 goals and Ghana has scored 3 goals.

If we lose to Germany by one and Ghana does not beat Portugal by more than 1, we're almost guaranteed to advance. But I like the way we've been playing and even though Germany is one of the best teams in the world, I think we have a chance to tie or maybe, if we play our best possible game, beat them.

here's a good summary of the scenarios.

basically... if we beat or tie Germany, we go through regardless.

and if Portugal and Ghana tie, we also go through regardless of how we play against Germany.

If we lose, AND Portugal & Ghana doesn't end in a tie, it comes down to goal differential. Right now, the goal differential is US +1, Ghana -1, Portugal -4. So the scoring in the final games would determine who goes among US & winner of Portugal/Ghana.

if the US/Ghana goal differential is equal, then the next highest tie-breaker is goals for... which is currently in our favor, unless Ghana beats Portugal and scores more than one goal.

obviously, given Portugal's higher differential, we'd want them to win; they'd either need to win by 4 or we'd have to lose to Germany by 4.

IF we had only managed to keep that F%&$! late goal out...

How many points for a win? I guess I don't understand how Ghana/Portugal who both sit at 1 point can get in over the U.S. team..

How many points for a win? I guess I don't understand how Ghana/Portugal who both sit at 1 point can get in over the U.S. team..

3 for a win. The US has 4 and Ghana and Portugal both have 1, so if the US loses and they don't tie, whoever wins will also have 4 points and it goes to the various tiebreakers.

still pissed about that last goal...

seriously We all know Germany could drill us....

30 damn seconds away from resting key guys... How the hell did we let that damn goal go in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at Mexico... Going for more goals up 2-0... I know killing time in the corner is what soccer teams do but the first time late our guy went to the corner he could have cut to the goal and maybe got a good shot on goal...

3 for a win. The US has 4 and Ghana and Portugal both have 1, so if the US loses and they don't tie, whoever wins will also have 4 points and it goes to the various tiebreakers.

Okay thanks. I just assumed you get two for a win..

still pissed about that last goal...

seriously We all know Germany could drill us....

30 damn seconds away from resting key guys... How the hell did we let that damn goal go in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya im still upset about it. Our "best player" Bradley completely missing the goal on 2 tries then kicking it right at a defender on an empty net. Then he turns the ball over with 30 seconds left to go in the game.....ridiculous. That being said...how the fuck do you let someone behind you with 20 seconds left to go in a game. so so soooooo dumb....

here's a good summary of the scenarios.

basically... if we beat or tie Germany, we go through regardless.

and if Portugal and Ghana tie, we also go through regardless of how we play against Germany.

If we lose, AND Portugal & Ghana doesn't end in a tie, it comes down to goal differential. Right now, the goal differential is US +1, Ghana -1, Portugal -4. So the scoring in the final games would determine who goes among US & winner of Portugal/Ghana.

if the US/Ghana goal differential is equal, then the next highest tie-breaker is goals for... which is currently in our favor, unless Ghana beats Portugal and scores more than one goal.

obviously, given Portugal's higher differential, we'd want them to win; they'd either need to win by 4 or we'd have to lose to Germany by 4.

IF we had only managed to keep that F%&$! late goal out...

aka root for Portugal....root for usa. no way Portugal makes up the goal differential unless Germany blows us out by like 5.

Back