Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Utah

Michchamp

I'm worried about this game, because I endured the horror that was last season, where Michigan apparently needed a "wake up call" on a weekly basis, instead of just one early in the season.

but under most normal circumstances, i.e. not 2013 Michigan football, teams improve over the course of the season, injuries aside.

the game against Miami(OH) looked worse because of the turnovers, but at least Gardner was only responsible for one, and it was on a tip INT. and the fact that all three TO's came one after the other made it look worse than it was. spread those out, and it was clear we controlled the rest of the game. it's nothing like last year's UConn or Akron disasters.

maybe Saturday won't be so bad. It'll be a battle, but at least Utah hasn't played anybody yet, blowing out Idaho St., and 0-3 Fresno St (who Nebraska beat by almost the same score). Sagarin has them ranked slightly ahead of us, but with a much worse s-o-s.

time to become cautiously optimistic, and not be a whiny loser who complains about every play, and no one can stand to watch games with.

Utah is probably the best team aside from ND, better than both App State and Miami, that M will have faced so far. The thing that bugs me about the Miami game is the difference between the Box Score and what I saw with my own eyes... The team looked like crap at times and looked great at others. I'm not sure Utah will put up a bigger fight, but it would be nice to see the Michigan team get better and not repeat the same mistakes.

And though a Pac-12 team now, Utah is still really a MWC program so very comparable to a MAC-talent level (with more pacific islanders, of course...).

We really could lose this game. Aside from rivalry games, Utah usually plays up to the competition. Michigan better be ready.

On another note, next year Michigan hits SLC. That is going to be fun and im definitely going to be there.

Utah is going to be tough do no huddle football. Rush and pass a lot. Try for almost 90-100 plays a game

I too didn't like what I saw Saturday and have been worried since ND

We really could lose this game. Aside from rivalry games, Utah usually plays up to the competition. Michigan better be ready.

On another note, next year Michigan hits SLC. That is going to be fun and im definitely going to be there.

I may just meander up there from SoCal myself...

Michigan usually plays "down" to the competition too ...the problem for many, many years now. It would be nice to see a team dictate tempo and pace for once.

We'll be there too ..at least planning on it. The stadium is maybe 10mins from downtown SLC and easy to get to. Also, Utah ain't BYU and there ARE bars in SLC.

Very nervous for this game. After the ND showing, I came to expect a loss in this one. However, Utah's QB did have major issues with throwing picks last year (16). If the defense can pressure Wilson and force some bad throws, there may be opportunities for some game changing INTs. Lewis and Peppers could very well be the MVPs of the game. That's what I am hoping for.

Utah is probably the best team aside from ND, better than both App State and Miami, that M will have faced so far.
You are Captain Obvious.
The thing that bugs me about the Miami game is the difference between the Box Score and what I saw with my own eyes... The team looked like crap at times and looked great at others. I'm not sure Utah will put up a bigger fight, but it would be nice to see the Michigan team get better and not repeat the same mistakes.

It was really those three possessions for us in the 2nd Qs that ended Fumble, Int, Fumble, and basically put Miami in the red zone twice for easy points; coupled with the hangover from ND, that made things look worse. It was a bad 6 1/2 minute stretch. We controlled the rest of the game, and scored on 6/10 other drives.

I know it wasn't a great win, but I think people are being way more negative about it than they should.

hotels-com-captain-obvious-at-the-bar-commercial.jpg

Thank You.

I'm just saying that the competition is now improving, so too must the team. But Utah was a better program under Meyer and during Alex Smith and while Whittingham is solid, they're tougher in SLC than on the road.

Never stayed in a hotel close to the University. If anyone knows any really nice ones in SLC let me know. Im driving to SLC the day of the game, but getting a hotel for the aftermath. It would probably be a good idea to book a year ahead of time.

There are two Marriotts in downtown (a Mormom company) as well as a Hilton and a boutique Hotel Monaco. There are also hotels closer to campus that aren't necessarily large chains.

Sandy is a suburb of SLC that isn't a short drive ...but don't stay in Ogden or Provo

Im familiar with the area of Sandy. Just never been close to campus before and I would prefer somewhere closer to campus. I only live about 2.5 hours away, but id rather not drive home after the game. Thanks for suggestions Vic.

do you still have to pay a "membership fee" to get into every bar, on the pretext that they are "private clubs" not bars? and also are drinks and shots still limited to one oz sizes? that sucks, although your liver, brain and your wallet will appreciate it.

no, the "sponsor" and "membership" thing is gone (as far as I know) but there are still rules governing what you can order. for example, you can't order more than one drink at a time so no Beer/Shot and you have to finish your first beer before getting another and you can't order liquor at dining tables, only at the bar. maybe some of these are just in SLC and not statewide (Park City, for example) but the liquor laws began to loosen around the same time they hosted the Winter Olympics and some younger folks are getting elected to Utah office.

As for hotels - there are a ton downtown and all around that shopping/pedestrian area built for the olympics and SLC is not a huge city. From downtown to the Utah stadium is a quick drive. I am sure there will be a fair bit of Michigan fans and some hotels/bars earmarked for UM gatherings.

We figured it's a short flight and different sort of game - trying to talk our A2 friends into joining us.

Last edited:

wow. last time I was there was 2004.

the bar situation really didn't matter, as i only went there for the skiing. was visiting my former college roommate who moved there. he was just no fun to party with.

a couple years later, I heard from a mutual friend who visited him that the guy was then big on those "pickup artist" books, and forced him to take a copy of one, and said it would "change his life." idiot. what sort of 30-year-old man needs help "talking to girls?"

I got stuck in salt lake airport for 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon in 1998. Argh

Utah is much better than people are giving them credit for. They lost very close games last year and without many of their top players. This will be a dog fight.

Back