Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander

DR said:
Has Leyland announced his plans for Sunday? He has to go with Verlander, right?
last i heard he was not going to have verlander pitch in the next racist logos series.

Spockmaster said:
DR said:
Has Leyland announced his plans for Sunday? He has to go with Verlander, right?
last i heard he was not going to have verlander pitch in the next racist logos series.

That's what they were saying yesterday on 97.1, but I didn't know if that had actually been announced by anyone, or if they were just going by the projected starters online.

DR said:
Spockmaster said:

That's what they were saying yesterday on 97.1, but I didn't know if that had actually been announced by anyone, or if they were just going by the projected starters online.

Leyland did say he won't pitch him Staurday.

Somebody pointed out on motownsports by not pitching him Saturday, Verlander will be on schedule to pitch in 2 more series against the White Sox and the next two series against the Indians following this one.

"As difficult as it is to give up on a first-round pick, the decision was said to have been a little easier for the Tigers because they weren't convinced that Verlander would become a successful big league pitcher."

--nice negotiating ploy.

How soon after this was the deal reached?

mjsb2 said:
DR said:
"As difficult as it is to give up on a first-round pick, the decision was said to have been a little easier for the Tigers because they weren't convinced that Verlander would become a successful big league pitcher."

--nice negotiating ploy.

How soon after this was the deal reached?

Pretty quickly.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/041023verlander.html

"Smith said the Tigers' declaration they were no longer interested in Verlander was not a negotiating ploy."

Ha, riiiight. I remember that now, the dad contacting Detroit himself. Wow. What might not have been.

I think Verlander pitches on Monday. He's been looking a little tired and has said as much so I think he could use an extra day right now to get his legs back. From a team perspective, Tampa Bay is a tougher team than Cleveland and it's also good to have our Ace going against the better competition.

Not to mention any pitchers, but there are instances this yer where other teams tried to keep their Ace from pitching against the best teams every time out in an effort to protect him. Not Verlander, he's pitched as much against the AL East as most starters in the AL East.

That comment after that article:

"It's a blessing in disguise though. I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't pitch an inning of ML baseball. It'll be interesting to see what we do with the money."

Lol :) :) :)

read something interesting tonight. its been 12 years since a pitcher hit 18 wins and 200 strikeouts before the end of august; Pedro Martinez in 1999 was the last one. He had a pretty great season that year if i remember correctly...

Back