Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

violence against Asian Americans?

Michchamp

I'm suspicious of the claims being made about this lately... it suddenly became a thing, and it's not clear why.

Why is a 65 year old getting kicked around by an (apparently insane) black homeless man in NYC national news? (front page news here in Houston for some reason)

Are all these attacks really related, or just random events being linked together as a means to accomplish some as-yet-to-be-determined end?

The government has really ramped up anti-China rhetoric... it doesn't seem like the people committing violent acts are the types to be influenced by international politics though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suspicious of the claims being made about this lately... it suddenly became a thing, and it's not clear why.

Why is a 65 year old getting kicked around by an (apparently insane) black homeless man in NYC national news?

Are all these attacks really related, or just random events being linked together as a means to accomplish some as-yet-to-be-determined end?

The government has really ramped up anti-China rhetoric... it doesn't seem like the people committing violent acts are the types to be influenced by international politics though.

I haven't seen any numbers, but I think the narrative is that people are influenced by the association with covid.

We need causes to oppose and support that foment controversy and define factions. Or someone does.

Last edited:
In the 16 biggest cities, hate crimes reported to police increased from 49 to 122 from 2019 2020.

Asian Americans make up 5.6% of the population, and their share of hate crimes increased from 2.7% to 7.1% in 1 year.

https://www.csusb.edu/sites/default/files/FACT SHEET- Anti-Asian Hate 2020 3.2.21.pdf

Just skimming, I think this suggests it's not reflected in the general population attitudes. Republican/Democrat stats look similar.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any numbers, but I think the narrative is that people are influenced by the association with covid.

I suppose. I am surmising though the people promoting the narrative are sophisticated in PR and possibly well-funded. That's why I'm suspicious. They know how to get stories or themes planted in major newspapers.

the stories don't look like usual police-beat crime reporting, but more like an article or comments sent by some PR flack to an editor to print.

And at least around here, they're getting high-profile space on news websites.

They seem to be raising the alarm about this, without proposing any solutions yet.

It's a 1 year spike in one metric, but it follows a long trend of improvement in the FBI stats.

Just about every town around us has had a "Stop Anti-Asian Hate" rally in the last couple of weeks -our town had one on Monday, the town we just moved from had one over the weekend and I've seen several others in the local online news sites. As Gulo speculated, it's all linked to the COVID association and being blamed on the white supremacy crowd emboldened by Trump. I haven't seen data on the spike, but historically the majority of anti-Asian hate crimes are not committed by white people.

Last edited:
There was a lot of yelling about racism being a motivating factor in the atlanta shooting (even though a couple of the victims were not asian), but as far as I can tell, no actual calls for more gun control. "Raising awareness" seems to be the goal, which means there's probably going to be an "Asian Lives Matter" or something that is or will be soliciting donations soon.

There was a lot of yelling about racism being a motivating factor in the atlanta shooting (even though a couple of the victims were not asian), but as far as I can tell, no actual calls for more gun control. "Raising awareness" seems to be the goal, which means there's probably going to be an "Asian Lives Matter" or something that is or will be soliciting donations soon.

Shohei Ohtani is going to start during the playing of the national anthem.

Why is a 65 year old getting kicked around by an (apparently insane) black homeless man in NYC national news? (front page news here in Houston for some reason)

Interesting that no one ever accused your avatar of fomenting hate for Asians.

Back