Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Was benching Stafford a ploy for Patricia and Quinn to keep their jobs?

dtroitlionsfan951

It?s something I?ve been thinking about. Why suddenly is it too risky to play Matt when it was fine a few weeks ago. I?m wondering if they are trying to use his injury as an excuse for this failed season so they can try to stay another year here. It?s been a very odd situation.

It seems that this is not up and up. Stafford does first-team reps and was scratched in a “game-time” decision and suddenly the backup is starting. And we don’t know his real status.

So who gets the reps in practice this week? I'd like to see the third string guy to see if he's any better than the 2nd string guy, cuz the second string guy sucked ass

Maybe.

If I were the Lions I would sit him as long as they can...pretty much tank. Once he is healthy, in the off season, shop him and blow this thing up. After the year he has had they should be able to get some good draft picks for him. Maybe get one of the stud QBs and start over.

The Lions have to draft a QB next year in R1 if one of the deep class of QBs is still on the board.

I just think they don't know how to run a franchise. I don't think anything they do is well thought out.
It's they just try to mimic what they think the Patriots/Belichick would do. But come across looking like idiots, because we are a shitty franchise.

I just think they don't know how to run a franchise. I don't think anything they do is well thought out.
It's they just try to mimic what they think the Patriots/Belichick would do. But come across looking like idiots, because we are a shitty franchise.

Agree, like many others they are always trying to do what someone else made work instead of coming up with their own recipe for success, copy cat league the problem is by the time the Lions try to copy cat something the trend setters are already on to it and coming up with the next new formula for success.

I thought getting rid of Caldwell was dumbass - at least there was marginal progress by normal standards. By Lions standards, it was substantial progress.

So who gets the reps in practice this week? I'd like to see the third string guy to see if he's any better than the 2nd string guy, cuz the second string guy sucked ass

Wtf do you think the 3rd string guy is going to look like? Lol. Who is it anyways? Is it David Blough?
As for Driskel sucking ass. Meh....who cares? He actually looked pretty decent if you ask me. He's a backup for a reason.

I said this in another thread. Quinn seems to always drag it keeping his job. Waiting 2 seasons to move on from Caldwell, them gets a 4 year extension. Blame injuries this season to keep his job this year. Then if there team makes the playoffs next year or shows a good deal of improvement, BAM another extension for him and Patricia because no one wants a lame duck situation. These guys are frauds and I hope Stafford comes out and says he could have played and ruins these clowns.

Wtf do you think the 3rd string guy is going to look like? Lol. Who is it anyways? Is it David Blough?
As for Driskel sucking ass. Meh....who cares? He actually looked pretty decent if you ask me. He's a backup for a reason.

I agree. Not sure what people were expecting, it?s not like he went 5-20 for 30 yards. The pick was bad and he missed a few throws but he performed about as well as I expected, if not better (although a lot of that was aided by the bomb to Golladay and Chicago playing soft to end the game).

I was incredibility annoyed by all the short passes throw the ball down the GD field!

It?s something I?ve been thinking about. Why suddenly is it too risky to play Matt when it was fine a few weeks ago. I?m wondering if they are trying to use his injury as an excuse for this failed season so they can try to stay another year here. It?s been a very odd situation.

Everything i heard was it was a new injury that happened during the raiders game.

“Basically the way last week worked was, you know, Stafford practiced all week,” Patricia said. “He took a lot of reps during the course of the week. Now we always practice our backup quarterback. We have for the entire season in a certain amount reps during the course of the week. I’d say depending on the previous game, a lot of those reps for the backup quarterback will usually go earlier in the week, maybe later in the week depending on kind of where Matthew feels at the beginning part of the week or if it’s a short week or something along those lines. He felt really good through the course of the week, so that was all positive from that standpoint. We had some additional scanning Friday evening that took place. That scanning really caused us to have some further internal discussions over the weekend. That was really what kind of sparked some of those conversations. The discussions, the details of those I’m going to leave private because they’re medical conversations.

That is what Patricia said today. How does a guy feel good all week and then late Friday they do scans and he's out? Don't you think they would be checking him all week and hold him out? Something's fishy about it and his excuses today on why they didn't rule him out until Sunday is to avoid a fine or cover up why he didn't play at all.

I don't think the Lion brass is smart enough to come up with a plan like this.

I don't think the Lion brass is smart enough to come up with a plan like this.

i think patricia has been pretty upfront about how the decision came about. Stafford practiced all week. They did additional imaging fri night. Decision was made Sat and they didnt downgrade him because if you downgrade someone then they cant dress and he wanted Stafford to have a say in that decision come sunday. nothing to see here folks....coming from a guy that would crush them if there was anything to crush them on.

i think patricia has been pretty upfront about how the decision came about. Stafford practiced all week. They did additional imaging fri night. Decision was made Sat and they didnt downgrade him because if you downgrade someone then they cant dress and he wanted Stafford to have a say in that decision come sunday. nothing to see here folks....coming from a guy that would crush them if there was anything to crush them on.

There is plenty to see here, because a guy called Jeff Driscoll is the Lions' starting QB. That's the issue.

I agree...this is a non story

It might be a non story and nothing major will happen but teams have been fined for things like this.

Back