Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

We got Austin for another year

coel73

Unless anything out of the ordinary happens. I love it. We have some continuity for next year, and in the event that Caldwell mucks it up, the door will be wide open for Austin to slide in as head coach. I haven't looked at the schedule for next year, but Caldwell should be measured on his ability to generate wins verses the good teams. We faced them all early this season, and promptly shit the bed. If we can't regularly beat .500+ teams next year then Caldwell HAS to go no question.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/01/with_final_coaching_vacancy_fi.html#incart_river_index

Don't get "continuity" twisted as though I wanted Caldwell to stay. His late game mismanagement infuriates me to no end.

No, next year is 10+ wins so we get to keep Caldwell for another year after next. Quite frankly, fewer than 10 wins next year should get him fired because that schedule is as easy as you will find in the NFL.

No, next year is 10+ wins so we get to keep Caldwell for another year after next. Quite frankly, fewer than 10 wins next year should get him fired because that schedule is as easy as you will find in the NFL.

Looking at a season based on wins/losses vs. strength of schedule is a horrible way to determine a coach's future.

A year ago the Panther's were 7-8-1.... a losing record. A year later they were 15-1 with the best record in the NFL.

Teams improve and regress every year. This year's "weak teams" might be next year's playoff contenders. And this year's close teams might be 1-15 next season.

Looking at a season based on wins/losses vs. strength of schedule is a horrible way to determine a coach's future.

A year ago the Panther's were 7-8-1.... a losing record. A year later they were 15-1 with the best record in the NFL.

Teams improve and regress every year. This year's "weak teams" might be next year's playoff contenders. And this year's close teams might be 1-15 next season.

Carolina is the exception, not the norm. Many factors play into these things, but no one should be looking at the Lions 2016 opponents and not see 10 wins.

coaches get extended/fired based on meeting expectations. The schedule you play definitely should be part of that. You can preach parity but theres plenty of teams on that schedule for next year that have been bottom dwellers for a half decade. So ya, expectation is we win those games or Caldwell should be held responsible.

Yeah if they can't pull off at least 10 wins with that schedule then there's a big problem. I think if they can't at least make the playoffs then Caldwell should immediately be fired. Before they even get on the team bus after the last game fired.

Home

Green Bay Packers - W - Been money at home against them recently (except you know)
Minnesota Vikings - W - Swept but I'll give us the win
Chicago Bears - W - Should beat at home
Philadelphia Eagles - W - Should beat, worst in NFC East
Washington Redskins - L - Depends on which Kirk we get but this could be a tougher game than some think for argument's sake lets say loss, since we probably will drop one we should have won at home
Jacksonville Jaguars - W - Still garbage
Tennessee Titans - W - still garbage
LA Rams - W - Always plays us tough regardless for some reason, should win though

Green Bay Packers - L This year notwithstanding lets error on the side of tradition
Minnesota Vikings - L Home and home split likely
Chicago Bears - W We beat them 24-20 and they had a WR core that was CFL ready, always a tough win in the Windy City
Dallas Cowboys - L Healthy Romo and Dez and a better back they pick up in the draft have them returning to the playoffs and winning the NFC East
New York Giants - L Shoot out potential as the Giants can always score in bunches with Eli and ODB.
Houston Texans - L Depends on their defense aka JJ Watt and our oline holding up
Indianapolis Colts - L Andrew Luck had a down year, until it happens again consecutively he gives them a chance
New Orleans Saints - W Superdome is a tough place to play, Brees and Payton back and their defense was the absolute worst in history against the pass (no lie). But the Lions are trending up and this team is trending down, we can win a shootout with a timely stop.

That's how you could go 9-7. Flip some teams in there say we beat the Skins but lose to the Rams or beat the Colts but lose to the Saints. Need to beat one of the Texans or Colts and beat one of the Giants or Boys on the road to get to 11. If all goes according to plan and we split in the division and sweep the Bears again.

Last edited:
Home

Green Bay Packers - W - Been money at home against them recently (except you know)
Minnesota Vikings - W - Swept but I'll give us the win
Chicago Bears - W - Should beat at home
Philadelphia Eagles - W - Should beat, worst in NFC East
Washington Redskins - L - Depends on which Kirk we get but this could be a tougher game than some think for argument's sake lets say loss, since we probably will drop one we should have won at home
Jacksonville Jaguars - W - Still garbage
Tennessee Titans - W - still garbage
LA Rams - W - Always plays us tough regardless for some reason, should win though

Green Bay Packers - L This year notwithstanding lets error on the side of tradition
Minnesota Vikings - L Home and home split likely
Chicago Bears - W We beat them 24-20 and they had a WR core that was CFL ready, always a tough win in the Windy City
Dallas Cowboys - L Healthy Romo and Dez and a better back they pick up in the draft have them returning to the playoffs and winning the NFC East
New York Giants - L Shoot out potential as the Giants can always score in bunches with Eli and ODB.
Houston Texans - L Depends on their defense aka JJ Watt and our oline holding up
Indianapolis Colts - L Andrew Luck had a down year, until it happens again consecutively he gives them a chance
New Orleans Saints - W Superdome is a tough place to play, Brees and Payton back and their defense was the absolute worst in history against the pass (no lie). But the Lions are trending up and this team is trending down, we can win a shootout with a timely stop.

That's how you could go 9-7. Flip some teams in there say we beat the Skins but lose to the Rams or beat the Colts but lose to the Saints. Need to beat one of the Texans or Colts and beat one of the Giants or Boys on the road to get to 11. If all goes according to plan and we split in the division and sweep the Bears again.

I feel the NFC East next year will be lopsided. Cowboys runaway with the division. Meanwhile Eagles are trash thanks to Chip "trade away all the talent" Kelly. Giants, I feel will struggle a little without Coughlin and Eli could start showing signs of slowing down. Redskins, will fall back down. They had a sort of magical little run this year thanks to many factors.

Our divisional opponents intrigue me. Packers, could reload in the offseason and be a juggernaut (add some pieces, healthy OLine, and Jordy back). Bears improved this season, but will Forte be back? Will Jeffrey be back? That defense still lacks talent. Vikings, are a good balanced team. I just feel that if they don't add a major weapon at the WR position they may have a worse record this coming year than this current season.

Also, the Texans are perplexing. They have 1 weapon on offense (Hopkins) who for a WR is always open. Guy literally must be single covered 75% of the time, don't understand why he doesn't get the Calvin treatment. They will probably part ways with Foster to save money, and that QB situation is very cloudy. They won so many games that they will likely miss out on the top 3 QBs, so what do they do?

I feel the NFC East next year will be lopsided. Cowboys runaway with the division. Meanwhile Eagles are trash thanks to Chip "trade away all the talent" Kelly. Giants, I feel will struggle a little without Coughlin and Eli could start showing signs of slowing down. Redskins, will fall back down. They had a sort of magical little run this year thanks to many factors.

Our divisional opponents intrigue me. Packers, could reload in the offseason and be a juggernaut (add some pieces, healthy OLine, and Jordy back). Bears improved this season, but will Forte be back? Will Jeffrey be back? That defense still lacks talent. Vikings, are a good balanced team. I just feel that if they don't add a major weapon at the WR position they may have a worse record this coming year than this current season.

Also, the Texans are perplexing. They have 1 weapon on offense (Hopkins) who for a WR is always open. Guy literally must be single covered 75% of the time, don't understand why he doesn't get the Calvin treatment. They will probably part ways with Foster to save money, and that QB situation is very cloudy. They won so many games that they will likely miss out on the top 3 QBs, so what do they do?

Those were the toss up games for me Zoom, because you really don't know what you are going to get from them. Packers, Vikings, Cowboys, Giants, Colts and Texans are all teams that are potential contenders or pretenders next year. I threw in the Skins because although I thought they had a bit of a magical run too, I do believe Cousins showed enough in his progression to contend with the mid tier. Now if he takes a step back to his previous form we win that going away. Also we tend to drop one crapfest at home, I just picked them. Gotta go at least 2-2 against the Boys, Giants, Texans, Colts. Absolutely do-able but all can be decent next year. If not though that is where we miss out.

Last edited:
Back