Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Week 11 Score Prediction Thread - @ Penn St.

Michchamp

This Saturday, November 11, 2023 ("Armistice Day" to the really olds, "Veterans' Day" to everyone else) @ NOON Eastern Daylight Time on FOX, Michigan plays Penn State in State College, PA.

Line: UM -4.5 (it opened at UM -1!!!)
o/u: 45.5
Sagarin predictor: 2 pt. Michigan win

Sometimes expectations are met, and prior to the sason I think most college football fans who "know ball" as the kids say expected this game to be our first real test of the season, and they were correct.

This is the 4th all-time meeting between Michigan and Penn St. in which both are ranked in the Top 10 (we're 2-1 in those; Penn St.'s win was in '94). We're 16-10 overall vs. Penn St., with winning records both at home and on the road. Harbaugh is 5-3 vs. Penn St. (2-2 on the road).

Michigan has breezed through the competition on the field this season, with an avg. margin of victory of 34 pts./game. No one else has a margin over +27/game, not even Georgia. This should, on paper, be much closer.

Stats Watch!
We have a 21 game Big Ten win streak, now the longest in Program history.
Other stats (Penn St's rank in parenthesis):
Penalties/game: 1st - 2.6/g (39th - 5.5/g)
Turnover margin: t6th - +1/g (1st - +1.75/g)
Rushing defense: 9th - 90ypg (1st - 60 ypg)
Team PED: 2nd (9th)
Rush Offense: 50th - 167ypg (42nd - 173 ypg)
Team Passing Eff.: 2nd (54th) - This is our biggest advantage
Team sacks: t44th (1st... uh oh)

Also of note: their Red Zone defense is poor (93rd); ours is 1st and off-the-charts good (only 5 RZ scores all year on 11 opportunities total)

Ohio St.'s PED #'s are comparable to ours (they're #1 & slightly better in some ways), and against them, Drew Allar was awful... 18 of 42 (43%) for 191 yards, 1 TD 0 INT.

Assuming both UM and Penn St have stalwart run defenses, and our running game is not as good as it was, it seems like this comes down to QB play. We definitely have the edge there.

So go ahead and make your picks and post some analysis if you choose, but as always leave the woofing and the barking for other threads!

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, the ground game scares me. We don't look that strong. Happy Valley seems like a perfect place for this team to go down. Too many distractions and not enough run game against a good defense.

35-17 Penn State

I was far more worried about this game a month or two ago. Watching Penn State try to play offense against Ohio State left me vomiting in my mouth. Their D is tough so we will need JJ at his best. He will need a big day, which I think he is more than capable of providing. It's also a noon kickoff instead of a much tougher night game environment.

I can also see all the distractions actually being a boost to the team if they buy into the "us against the world" mindset. They've been on a mission since last year to get back to the CFP. I don't think they want it to end now with all the ruckus going on.

Michigan 31, PSU 21

Last edited:
Our run game has not allowed JJ to really run true read options. We haven't needed it because of the competition but I think that leash comes off this weekend. Should help free up the backs.

Michigan 34
PSU - 13

Fuck the B1G.

][V][ 34
PSU 28

Saturday edit: in light of all of the FAFO'ing of the last 48 hours, I feel like this team will be pissed. Is another 52-7 guess out of line?

Last edited:
Back