Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Week 3 Score Prediction Thread - vs. BGSU

Michchamp

This Saturday, September 16, 2023, the BGSU Falcons play the Michigan Wolverines in Michigan Stadium.

Kick is 7:30 PM Eastern (NIGHT GAME! WOOOO!) and it's televised on the BTN.

Line: UM -40.5; o/u 53.5
Sagarin predictor: 35 pt. UM win

Game notes: This is the 3rd all time meeting between UM and BGSU; we're 2-0; prior games were in 2000 and 2010.

We currently have a 17 game home win streak; this is the 2nd best home win streak since a 21 game home win streak under Lloyd Carr, from 1998 to 2001.

About our Opponent: Like ECU and EMU, BGSU was founded as a teacher school, or "normal college" as they called them, back in 1910. Bowling Green, OH was selected to provide a location in the underserved northwestern part of the state, and the school grew steadily from that point on.

There isn't too much else notable about it, including notable alumni; it's a pretty regular place.

The most notable thing I know about it is that my least "academically-inclined" friend in high school went there for a few years before dropping out.
As of July in the summer before college, he still did not know where to go, but after seeing (according to him) a cute girl wearing a Bowling Green shirt, he applied and was accepted in less than a month... high academic standards!

Miami%2BOhio%2BBowling%2BGreen

their cheerleaders are disappointing... none could be USC Song Girls.
But these are wholesome midwest girls, so there's something to be said for that, right?

BGSU Football History
There are a few interesting ties between UM and BGSU. Their program history is solid for a MAC team; 550-414-52 overall, with 12 MAC Titles, most recently in 2015.

Their program was placed on solid ground by the legendary Doyt Perry, part of the Woody Hayes coaching tree. Bo was an assistant under Doyt in 1955. Despite a successful coaching career at BGSU, Doyt Perry never jumped ship for a bigger program, and moved on to the Athletic Director post there. Their current stadium is named after him.
ab34d379cbbfb05ea9d1a348200b1f26.jpg

America doesn't produce straight-shooters like this anymore.
Former UM Assistant and eventual WVU HC Don Nehlen also coached there, and later on our good friend Urban Meyer had two winning seasons in Bowling Green ('01-'02) before moving on to Utah.

Currently BGSU is coached by former UM QB and QBC Scot Loeffler, who's been in that role since 2019.

BGSU has been sub-par under him, but not terrible. In 2021 they managed to upset Minnesota in Minneapolis, their first win over a power 5 team in a long time. Last year they went 6-7, but that included a 7-OT loss and losses to Miss. St. and UCLA.

BGSU is currently 1-1 and the lowest ranked of the three cupcakes we'll face this year; they lost a game at Liberty 34-24, but that was only after throwing FIVE (5) INTs, including a pick-6. And they beat EIU soundly last week.

UM Roster Notes

Last week, we played as close to a perfect game as possible, racking up 35 pts and allowing NONE until we subbed out our starters near the end of the 3rd.

Neither ECU or UNLV were huge blowouts. Part of this is to their credit: neither team made a lot of mistakes against us, but also our OL run blocking has been a work in progress. The starting mix of the OL is still in flux, according to Sherrone Moore.

Our backup QB situation is also dodgy; IU transfer Jack Tuttle got in and had a nice 14 yard run on a keeper, but got pushed into the wall (it was an ugly late hit). Harbaugh said he's expected to be fine, but will not play against BGSU.

Harbaugh also said that Jayden Denegal was supposed to play before Davis Warren last week. So it looks like Denegal is 3rd in the lineup. Warren has looked shaky in the backup role, so far.

Our secondary has been playing without Rod Moore and Makari Paige, but CB Will Johnson got back in and played sparingly. No word yet if any will return for BGSU.

And Sherrone Moore will be our Stand-in HC this week; last one before Harbaugh returns for Rutgers!

So go ahead and make your predictions and post a bit of analysis if you so choose, but as always, leave the woofing and the barking for the other threads!

Michigan has got to score more than 35 points. 35 is not going to get it done against PSU or OSU. I have been expecting them to have big blowouts the last couple of games and substantially over-estimated the scores.

Michigan 42
BGSU 3

I don?t know if she?s technically a Midwest farmer?s daughter or a northern girl?but she has a serviceable looking mouth and nice boobs.

The can?t all be California girls.

M 50

BGSU 0

UM.....42
BGSU...7

BGSU's QB threw 5 picks to Liberty. I think he throws a couple against us, and that gives us another score. But otherwise it looks like the UNLV game. We "go quietly into the night," subbing out starters early and trying to run clock, stop scoring in the 3rd, and don't run up the score against a former assistant & player. BGSU scores in garbage time.

Lol. Lots of close predictions. I think the running game gets on track today. Ground and pound

Monster nailed the spread and looks like the total pts scored as well.

He's on a roll this season.

Monster nailed the spread and looks like the total pts scored as well.

He's on a roll this season.

Math not your strong suit? You can't nail the spread and total points scored without getting the exact score right.

35 + 10 = 45

31 + 6 = 37

45 > 37

whoops! nothing gets by you. mind like a steel trap on this one!

I meant to say he nailed the spread and looks like he came closest on the total pts as well.

"Looks like" in my book means "I think so but am not sure" but I guess you have a different understanding of that.

whoops! nothing gets by you. mind like a steel trap on this one!

I meant to say he nailed the spread and looks like he came closest on the total pts as well.

"Looks like" in my book means "I think so but am not sure" but I guess you have a different understanding of that.

Plenty gets by you or goes over your head, that's well established over years of your posts. Like the fact that Monster was one of 4 people that had the same total.

And it's not that I have a different understanding of "looks like" or "I think so but..." It's that if someone gets the spread right but misses the exact score by a few points for both teams, then it's obvious they didn't get the total right as well. It doesn't "look like" he did and all it takes to prove the obvious is a bit of simple addition.

Back