Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Week 4 Score Prediction Thread - vs. Rutgers

Michchamp

Saturday, September 23, 2023 in Ann Arbor, MI. Time 12:00 PM Eastern; Rutgers vs. Michigan. TV - BTN

Line: UM -24
o/u: 43.5

Sagarin: 16 pt. Michigan win

Michigan is 8-1 all time against Rutgers (thanks, Brady...); last year we blew them out 52-17, despite trailing 17-14 at the half; Rutgers had a blocked punt TD in the 1st Q.

Harbaugh is back on the sidelines this week.

Jim-Harbaugh-Head-Coach-University-of-Michigan.jpg

About our opponent: The Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Cribbing from last year's thread:
First question on everybody's mind: Why is The State University of New Jersey called Rutgers?

It's a very unappealing name in the English language, a "rut" having three different meanings, none of them particularly positive or upbeat.

Rutgers was founded in 1766, making it the eigth-oldest college in our crappy country. It was affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church and originally named "Queen's College," which is a generally more prestigious-sounding name than "Rutgers," but fell out of fashion when we decided we didn't want to be ruled by royalty.

Henry Rutgers was descended from a landowning Dutch family in New York. He fought in the Revolutionary War, and later donated $5,000 (real money in those days) from his fortune to fund the school, as it had closed due to financial problems.

This part is good:
In gratitude, and hoping the college would be remembered in the Colonel's will, the trustees renamed it Rutgers College on December 5, 1825. (Colonel Rutgers left nothing to the college upon his death.)
ah well, nevertheless they kept the name. But Old Henry wasn't the best guy:
Rutgers supported the American Colonization Society, arguing against abolitionists that free people of color should be removed from the United States rather than allowed to grow as a population. He was himself a slaveowner, like many of his relatives.
They named their University after a slaveowner in hopes that he'd give them more money, and when he didn't, they still kept the name!

Okay... football.

Did I mention that Harbaugh is back?

17169829-large.jpg

Neither team has really played anyone of note, although Rutgers has the strongest opponent of either team, beating Northwestern
24-7 in Wk 1. Still... Northwestern isn't very good.

Rutgers other two opponents (Temple and Va Tech) are lousy, around ECU/UNLV/BGSU caliber according to Sagarin. Rutgers was only up 13-7 vs. Temple in the 4th Q before pulling away; they had a comfortable lead against VaTech the whole way, and won 35-16

Their QB is the same guy we faced last year (dual-threat Gavin Wimsatt); they have an RB (Kyle Monangai - Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year in 2022) who's currently 6th in the NCAA in rushing yards and tied for 4th in rushing TDs (Corum is 2nd, but doesn't have a lot of yards this year).

Their defense is very good so far, statistically, and comparable to ours, although the points they've given up to Temple and VaTech mostly came early. Other than BGSU, our opponents have only scored in garbage time. Their Team PED is solid.

Injury report: Jesse Minter said he thinks the secondary could be back to full strength soon. Sounds like Rod Moore may still be out, but Will Johnson may start. Makari Paige may be back.

On the offensive side, it looks like CJ Stokes is out. Maybe Jack Tuttle as well, but I couldn't find anything on him.

This one worries me a bit; I could see us struggle out of the gate, against a better opponent. They have good athletes on offense, but didn't exactly look sharp from the clips I saw. We can't let up on them. But having Harbaugh back should help.

So go ahead and make your predictions and post some analysis if you so choose, but as always leave the woofing and the barking for other threads!

Mason Graham is apparently dealing with a hand injury as well and looks like he'll be out a couple of games. Thankfully we are deep at DT, but he's really fun to watch play so that part sucks for us viewing fans.

I think JJ returns to normal this week and plays great.

Michigan - 38
Rutgers - 13

I am tempted to pick a big blowout, with Harbaugh back...

but I'm going to go with:

UM.........31
Rutgers..13

We fail to cover again.

Like Michchamp I am tempted to predict a blowout. I was expecting blowouts in the first three games and turned out to be wrong.

I have been thinking all week:
Michigan 35
Rutgers 14

20-17 Michigan

So far, everytime this year I think "No one could go closer than the closest spread predicted," Monster shows up and goes even closer.

I really hope we don't barely beat them by 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a tougher game than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like MichDad and Wolverines24 came closest on the spread; Monster comes closest on total

Back