Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Welcome to MSU Jayru Campbell

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...yru-campbell-embodies-challenges-hope-detroit

"The way you break the chain of poverty is once you become successful and self-sufficient to help others, it's your duty to come back to the same neighborhood and help one kid," Campbell said. "If we can get one successful kid from the program to come back and help, it will help us break the chain of poverty and break the chain of not being educated. That's the only thing they owe us, is to come back and help."

Kid has really tried to break the chain, too bad he blew his best chance. Doesn't men it will be his only chance, but it was his last chance with MSU.

Jayru obviously has some problems, maybe he'll be forced to get help dealing with them now.

I don't really feel bad for Jayru though, I feel bad for the security guard, doubt he'll be able to go back to work at Cass Tech without being the target of ridicule, must already be pretty humiliating.

I'm sure Coach Dantonio will be visiting Jayru soon, he'll pull the scholarship officially, but that will not be the end of their relationship. Coach D has a history of trying to help kids who he's cut loose from his football teams. He'll do what's best for the program 1st, but that doesn't mean he's going to turn his back on Jayru entirely.

coach d did help Glen Winston get a chance to play at Northwood

the thing about this is that I don't care about the football aspect, i just want this kid to get it together and not throw his life away. MSU will be fine without jayru and hopefully he gets a shot to play somewhere, i'm sure he will.

football should be the least of his concerns, if he were my son i wouldn't give a damn about sports.

good job by MD by not running out there and saying that they dropped him, even if it means that MSU is attached to that viral video. MD needs to talk to coach wilcher and figure out what's best

Wow his behavior is unacceptable..that's the second time within 2 months he's been involved in a fight.
With damion terry and cook we're set at QB, hopefully Dantonio pulls the offer.

Word on the street is it is at least his third. Rumor mill has him in the middle of a fight that broke out at a HS basketball game last month. A tourney game that CT wasn't even playing in.

Also, let's not forget he was benched by Coach Wilcher for the start of two CT playoff games for disciplinary reasons.

We know about some things. But there are rumored to be many more.

the thing about this is that I don't care about the football aspect, i just want this kid to get it together and not throw his life away. MSU will be fine without jayru and hopefully he gets a shot to play somewhere, i'm sure he will.

football should be the least of his concerns, if he were my son i wouldn't give a damn about sports.

good job by MD by not running out there and saying that they dropped him, even if it means that MSU is attached to that viral video. MD needs to talk to coach wilcher and figure out what's best

I don't think Dantonio can really comment on it anyway since they aren't permitted to talk about recruits that haven't signed LOIs.

A second video of the security guard incident, from a different angle has surfaced.

Some are arguing based on this second video that the security guard was the instigator in this. I don't see it that way. The security guard was enforcing a policy of not wearing a hat/hood in the school building. Jayru wants no part of it, and is the first to make it physical with a shove. From there, they seem to lock up arms and Jayru body slams him.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152220114589187&stream_ref=10

The kid should just lighten up, smile, and walk away or better yet, just take the damn hood off as opposed to challenging authority for the sake of challenging authority.

A second video of the security guard incident, from a different angle has surfaced.

Some are arguing based on this second video that the security guard was the instigator in this. I don't see it that way. The security guard was enforcing a policy of not wearing a hat/hood in the school building. Jayru wants no part of it, and is the first to make it physical with a shove. From there, they seem to lock up arms and Jayru body slams him.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152220114589187&stream_ref=10

The kid should just lighten up, smile, and walk away or better yet, just take the damn hood off as opposed to challenging authority for the sake of challenging authority.

Is it the security guards respnosibility to enforce dress codes? I doubt it. Regardless, Jayru was at fault here and he'll pay the price.

In school districts like Detroit, where staff deal with gang problems it very well could be the security guards responsibility to enforce dress codes, especially those designed to mitigate those problems. I bet even at CT the prohibition on hats/hoodies has something to do with that. Regardless, the policy is the policy, take off your hood - don't act like one...

Is it the security guards respnosibility to enforce dress codes? I doubt it. Regardless, Jayru was at fault here and he'll pay the price.

From what I understand, yes. Security enforces dress code and other behavioral/conduct issues in the school essentially for the reasons outlined by spartanmack. They do it all the time. Nothing new or unusual here.

It does however seem like a fine line sometimes. This video could have been after the school day was over and perhaps Jayru was on his way out of the building and into the cold outdoor weather with a hood up. Innocent enough. But if that's the case, Jayru could have just kept walking on his way, or just dropped the hood until he was closer to the door.

Another rumored storyline has Jayru and the school security guards in a regular ongoing almost daily battle over this hoodie issue. Seemingly painting him as defiant about it for the sake of being defiant. BMOC syndrome, while the security guards perhaps deal with him more assertively and more directly than first time offenders.

Well, this story is starting to take a bizarre twist. The guard has some issues and it's now in question whether Campbell will be charged with a crime. Still cannot excuse what he did, but as usual, there's more to the story.

The guard had almost no training, and he targeted Campbell several times in his 2 days on the job and violated several rules in doing so. Why did he target Jayru, that's where it gets bizarre, I'll let it come out in the news, because it's a heresay so far.

Still think Jayru's scholarship should be pulled because he has had the other violent incident, but this story is getting weird.

If you tell a kid not to wear a hat/hood in the school and you observe him the next day doing the same thing so you tell him again, is that targeting/harassment? The tweets are dumb (he's a security guard, not a rocket scientist) but they are clearly after the fact and are not evidence of any prior harassment. He's probably trying to save face after video of him getting body slammed has been seen by everyone in the school. No doubt it's too late, I'm sure he got plenty of ridicule from the students afterwards, prior to the suspension. By the way, is anyone surprised that the students are falling in line, backing one of if not the most popular kid in school against an authority figure most of them have an automatic dislike for simply because they don't respect his position?

Last edited:
How do you come up with the security guard being a POS?

He wen on Twitter and called Campbell a pussy and said he's whoop his ass. The grown man should act like one. Again, my post does not defend Campbell at all

He wen on Twitter and called Campbell a pussy and said he's whoop his ass. The grown man should act like one. Again, my post does not defend Campbell at all

I did see that. Don't forget the "grown man" is a 22 year old kid. He got his ass kicked by a 17 year old and he was running his mouth to his friends on Twitter. The school district really shouldn't be hiring 22 year old security guards IMO. Hell....at 22 you still look like a 17 year old!

I did see that. Don't forget the "grown man" is a 22 year old kid. He got his ass kicked by a 17 year old and he was running his mouth to his friends on Twitter. The school district really shouldn't be hiring 22 year old security guards IMO. Hell....at 22 you still look like a 17 year old!

I don't think I'm way out on a limb here when I speculate that the candidate pool for the position of "Detroit Public School Security Guard", particularly at the High School level, is indeed a shallow one.

I don't think I'm way out on a limb here when I speculate that the candidate pool for the position of "Detroit Public School Security Guard", particularly at the High School level, is indeed a shallow one.

since the city has an unemployment rate of 35% I would think that they could find a better cantidate than a 22 year old kid. Of course of that 35% probably 30% are either unemployable or don't want to work!

since the city has an unemployment rate of 35% I would think that they could find a better cantidate than a 22 year old kid. Of course of that 35% probably 30% are either unemployable or don't want to work!

I'll put it this way, and I think you'll agree. I suspect that the candidate pool while very shallow, is perhaps very broad. Lots of under-skilled candidates.

You might be able to get a little bluegill or a perch here and there in that shallow water, but the big ole walleye and trout of the deeper waters are in a different body of water altogether.

There's a rumor going around that he might end up at OLSM after the dust settles. that might be a good situation for everyone

There's a rumor going around that he might end up at OLSM after the dust settles. that might be a good situation for everyone

I would think Oak Park would be a possible destination. Coach Greg Carter is formerly of DePorres and Inkster.

Wilcher will play a big role in where Jayru goes to school next year. He'll treat Jayru like a son and find the best situation.

I would think Oak Park would be a possible destination. Coach Greg Carter is formerly of DePorres and Inkster.

Wilcher will play a big role in where Jayru goes to school next year. He'll treat Jayru like a son and find the best situation.

some program insiders are saying that he's not going to be able to commit on that offer from MSU but our staff is still there to guide him and offer advice. they said that he has more important things to worry about than his scholarship status

Back