Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What draft pick from this year will have the biggest impact?

evolutionkb

Ebron is the top pick from this year. He is physically gifted and creates mismatches all over the field thanks to his size and speed. He has a solid pass catching rate and high expectations in a top offense. Is he more than a guys that can just move the chains? Can he be a field stretcher and a touchdown machine too? Will that drop percentage show up and have a bigger impact than all the positive plays? Do we have too many weapons, leading to a solid, if unspectacular rookie season?

Van Noy is our second round pick. He is the playmaker on the defense that we have been needing, forcing fumbles, getting picks, and sacking the QB. He has a high football IQ and is always around the football. He is a bit of a tweener though, and has been criticized for his strength getting off blocks. We are running a new defensive scheme where attacking the QB will come from different angles and players. KVN could be an impactful player that flys under the radar because of his draft status. He is a rookie coming into a really good front seven and could have huge impact from day one.

Wild card player is Caruan Reid. Reid is a mid round pick that went to Princeton. Reid is smart and athletic, and is expected to play a back up role. Similar athletically to Fairley and was second only to the top DT at the combine drills. Went to a school with inferior competition, but the physical and mental attributes are there. If Fairley goes down(again) with injury, Reid could find himself in a starting role if he is quick to adjust to the level of competition in the NFL.

Sorry for the rambling. Just had some thoughts I had to get down. Hell, we need something else to talk about until training camp starts.

Reid reminds me of Sammie Lee Hill in that he clearly has the tools but faced inferior competition. Sammie turned out to be a quality pick, maybe this is 2.0.

Reid reminds me of Sammie Lee Hill in that he clearly has the tools but faced inferior competition. Sammie turned out to be a quality pick, maybe this is 2.0.

Yup. They are different kind of players though. SLH is beast to clog the middle and Reid is there to rush the passer.

Freese when he hits the game winner in the Super bowl.

From what I've read Telcevecchio (sp) may win the job outright.

Talvecchio had a really bad day at mini camp. It's close actually but I think Freese wins since they used a pick. Talvecchio needs to win convincingly to get it.

Put me down for KVN. I don't think he will wow anyone right away but he'll have a solid year with a decent sack number to boot. If I had to put on my prognosticator cap Ebron will make some big plays on offense but will be too inconsistent to make a star out of himself year one. Reid is SLH development although your right he's better suited for the pass rushing three tech mold.

Last edited:
Talvecchio had a really bad day at mini camp. It's close actually but I think Freese wins since they used a pick. Talvecchio needs to win convincingly to get it.

Didn't read that, but agree...they'll go with the draft pick in a close race. Talvecchio vs Freese has been framed as the battle of leg vs accuracy...it comes down to which would they rather have.

Didn't read that, but agree...they'll go with the draft pick in a close race. Talvecchio vs Freese has been framed as the battle of leg vs accuracy...it comes down to which would they rather have.

With Sam Martin on kickoffs, I go with accuracy.

Ebron.

650 yards and 5 TDs for Ebron. But the real addition is the matchup issues he causes. This makes life a little easier for Calvin, Tate, the slot WR (when Ebron is at TE or on outside) and Bush.

Somehow after Stafford fails to make his players better again, the blame will fall on the lack of "weapons" that the team has put around him.

Somehow after Stafford fails to make his players better again, the blame will fall on the lack of "weapons" that the team has put around him.

If 2-3 get hurt again, sure. If most healthy for all 16 like 2011, well we'll probably see another 40 TD Stafford season.

So, that's what you're banking on? A Stafford shitshow?? Fly those Lions colors proud, buddy!! Jesus Christ lol.

Ebron.

650 yards and 5 TDs for Ebron. But the real addition is the matchup issues he causes. This makes life a little easier for Calvin, Tate, the slot WR (when Ebron is at TE or on outside) and Bush.

Not enough yards or TDs, LKP. Nothing less than 1,000 yds and 10 TDs or he's a BUST after his rookie year ...derp.

So, that's what you're banking on? A Stafford shitshow?? Fly those Lions colors proud, buddy!! Jesus Christ lol.

I swear some of these people just say that the Lions will lose just to be dicks. Or they have been scorned by the Lions and got their feelings hurt so now they just say it to make themselves feel better.

They don't say it because they actually have analyzed the situation and think the Lions will lose because if they did that they would see many positive things. But no matter what the Lions do, they will say the Lions will lose or underachieve.

Millen years, I was on the Lions lose train most years. And 2009/2010 my expectations were very low. But now the team has talent. They have underachieved with turnovers but there are plenty of good things and you should still have high expectations for this team when you look at everything.

Not enough yards or TDs, LKP. Nothing less than 1,000 yds and 10 TDs or he's a BUST after his rookie year ...derp.

Haha yep. Only the people that say that don't realize only about 2 TEs per year on average since 2002 have had 900 yards or more. They want Ebron top 2 instantly.

Haha yep. Only the people that say that don't realize only about 2 TEs per year on average since 2002 have had 900 yards or more. They want Ebron top 2 instantly.

With 650 yards his 2013 rank would be 13th. With 5 TDs his 2013 rank would be 12th.

Back