Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What is our next move guys?

Anything new on throwing the poison pill offer to Weber? I keep hearing this is a possibility, but if it is, why hasn't it happened yet?

It's almost guaranteed not to happen..if a team offered Webber a 12 year contract with a 1st year salary of $14 mil, Nashville could match the offer ( it would take some maneuvering of the roster). The preds GM said they will match any offer that is thrown out there, and Webber doesn't want to risk signing a 12 year deal with a team only to have the preds match it and keep him in NSH for the rest of his career.

It's almost guaranteed not to happen..if a team offered Webber a 12 year contract with a 1st year salary of $14 mil, Nashville could match the offer ( it would take some maneuvering of the roster). The preds GM said they will match any offer that is thrown out there, and Webber doesn't want to risk signing a 12 year deal with a team only to have the preds match it and keep him in NSH for the rest of his career.

Salary cap hits are done on average I believe. The theory as to why they work is that instead of offering a long term deal, a team would offer a short term deal that couldn't be matched under the cap. The Preds have a lot of room though, but if you offered 2 years at 15 mil a season would they match it? Maybe, maybe not. The risk for the Wings at that point is that he says yes and then bolts after two years or doesn't give them a discount on an extension after they overpay for two years. Now there is also a player cap at a certain amount but I cannot seem to find what that amount is.

Last edited:
I really don't know the ins and outs of this, so if I understand it wrong or I'm missing something, let me know.

From what I heard on the radio we could basically offer him a huge 1yr or 2yr deal that would be impossible for Nashville to match, but would still fit under our cap number. Nashville would then be forced to offer more dollars over more years in order to retain him unless he decided to stay for some other reason. If this is the case, I really don't understand why we wouldn't do that unless Holland doesn't think he's worth it.

Again, if I'm missing something here, let me know.

Salary cap hits are done on average I believe. The theory as to why they work is that instead of offering a long term deal, a team would offer a short term deal that couldn't be matched under the cap. The Preds have a lot of room though, but if you offered 2 years at 15 mil a season would they match it? Maybe, maybe not. The risk for the Wings at that point is that he says yes and then bolts after two years or doesn't give them a discount on an extension after they overpay for two years. Now there is also a player cap at a certain amount but I cannot seem to find what that amount is.

You're correct about the salary being the average of entire contract. However let's say the Wings throw out a 1 year $14 million (the league max) deal at Webber, I have to believe Nashville would match it. It Might screw up the Preds internal Cap number for a year but not Vs the 72 million Cap level. Nashville is currently $30 million Under the cap..they already lost Suter, and imagine that they would do anything in their power to keep Webber.

In addition, there is no way in Hell Kenny would offer Webber a contract this year, it would cost him 4 1st round picks if Webber signed with us and that is not something he is willing to lose. Webber isn't going to come here...atleast not this year.

Last edited:
Nashville would resign him, they have something like 30 million in cap space.

Nashville would resign him, they have something like 30 million in cap space.

While I think you are right that they would match any offer, you also have to keep in mind that not every team can afford/or wants to, go up to the salary cap. Not all NHL teams are turning profits and some teams need to keep lower salary numbers, Nashville is one of those teams.

I really don't know the ins and outs of this, so if I understand it wrong or I'm missing something, let me know.

From what I heard on the radio we could basically offer him a huge 1yr or 2yr deal that would be impossible for Nashville to match, but would still fit under our cap number. Nashville would then be forced to offer more dollars over more years in order to retain him unless he decided to stay for some other reason. If this is the case, I really don't understand why we wouldn't do that unless Holland doesn't think he's worth it.

Again, if I'm missing something here, let me know.

Holland is probably right that he's not worth the picks at a year or two the more I think about it. Best play at this point is making a good trade or staying pat until next offseason.

The only way Weber gets to Detroit is if they offer a huge contract, Weber's agent takes it back to Nashville and tells them, "He's leaving next year no matter what, and he'll be signing in Detroit with this contract," and Nashville wisely agrees to a sign and trade. There is no contract we can offer than Nashville won't match, and Weber is only going to be traded here if he tells Nashville that this is his only destination.

man so far a very disappointing off season....Come on Kenny get something done!!!

Weber $110 for 14 years by Philadelphia.

Think Nashville will match?

Geez this is disgusting. What happened to all this extra money they were supposed to be able to throw at guys? Something more significant than Samuelsson, Gustavsson needs to happen...SOON!

The Rangers didnt even give up much for Nash. I wonder if the bj's just wouldn't deal with the wings but this is getting frustrating. I think we are starting to see the backlash of all these super long deals. There are very few upper tier players that are becoming available. Even still it seems like the wings could have beaten an offer for Tim Erixon and Brandon Dubinsky. What is the use of all of the cap space if there are no players worth signing. wish the Wings could have made a better push for Nash.

Weber $110 for 14 years by Philadelphia.

Think Nashville will match?

Doubtful, they said they would match any offer but this one may be impossible to do. PHI made this deal almost impossible for NSH to accept they would lose half their team just to keep Webber. Smart move by the PHI GM for now when Webber gets older maybe not so much but we will see.

Doubtful, they said they would match any offer but this one may be impossible to do. PHI made this deal almost impossible for NSH to accept they would lose half their team just to keep Webber. Smart move by the PHI GM for now when Webber gets older maybe not so much but we will see.

Well i was wrong. NSH will be is slaray cap hell for the next few years. They can say goodbye to most of their core players. hope Webber was worth it.

Back