Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What QB in this draft class will end up with the best career?

What QB in this draft class do you think will end up with the best career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoCalLions

I think Goff will end up with the best career in this draft. I don't think Wentz lives up to the physical potential and I'm not a believer in Lynch. Lynch needs to end up in an Aaron Rodgers situation in my opinion to be successful in this league. His footwork looked atrocious in the combine drills. I get that good NFL teams tailor their offenses and defenses to their talent, so a team can put him in majority shotgun snaps, but he just looks like a project.

I think Goff will end up with the best career in this draft. I don't think Wentz lives up to the physical potential and I'm not a believer in Lynch. Lynch needs to end up in an Aaron Rodgers situation in my opinion to be successful in this league. His footwork looked atrocious in the combine drills. I get that good NFL teams tailor their offenses and defenses to their talent, so a team can put him in majority shotgun snaps, but he just looks like a project.

I honestly think it will be Connor Cook.

It is just a hunch. Good physical tools and once he grows up a bit I think he'll be a good NFL QB. I think it takes him 2-3 years to be a starter somewhere because I don't think he'll be drafted to start right away. I can see a team like Buffalo taking him in the 2nd.

I see him having a Carson Palmer type career. Good stats, some wins, but no titles.

All depends on where they're drafted. Wentz is set to go to Cleveland...ugh. Good luck, kid. Goff could go to a couple teams looking for a QB...maybe Dallas or SF?? He's probably the most ready QB of the bunch. I personally like Lynch the most out of the 3 and if he can land somewhere like a Houston, he could be successful.
My darkhorse is Hogan....

Biggest surprise to me was the lack of athleticism from trevon boykin. Connor cook put up better numbers than him. Was a surprise.

Biggest surprise to me was the lack of athleticism from trevon boykin. Connor cook put up better numbers than him. Was a surprise.

Yeah, that was a surprise.

I like the look of that DE from GVSU. Strong and fast. Workout warrior. But big time production, too.

Hopefully, he'll be around in rounds 5-7. Love to take a flyer on that kid.

No way the Lions take Cook do they? 2nd rd maybe?? I'll go postal if they do eh

No way the Lions take Cook do they? 2nd rd maybe?? I'll go postal if they do eh

I don't think so. Stafford seems pretty safe.

If they do, however, take a QB anywhere in the first 2 rounds it will tell us all what Quinn really thinks of Stafford.

It is possible QB could just be too much value to pass up (remember Aaron Rodgers?). Consider Goff going into his pro day and dropping a couple snaps - suddenly his small hands aren't just a tidbit from the combine, but now a full blown controversy. Now those really QB needy teams fill up on Wentz, Lynch, and Cook. We are on the clock in the second round and Goff is still on the board. I don't see how you pass on a player like that, even if you don't need him immediately.

Worst case, we take him, let him play backup for a couple years, then flip him for more picks down the line.

It is possible QB could just be too much value to pass up (remember Aaron Rodgers?). Consider Goff going into his pro day and dropping a couple snaps - suddenly his small hands aren't just a tidbit from the combine, but now a full blown controversy. Now those really QB needy teams fill up on Wentz, Lynch, and Cook. We are on the clock in the second round and Goff is still on the board. I don't see how you pass on a player like that, even if you don't need him immediately.

Worst case, we take him, let him play backup for a couple years, then flip him for more picks down the line.

I get the thought process......but without bringing in a STRONG free agent class, that would just leave too many holes in this team. Using a 2nd round pick on a player who's ceiling probably isn't even as high as your current starter is not a good draft strategy considering Stafford really hasn't hit his "prime" (he JUST turned 28) and only one of them can play at a time.

For positions like CB or LB or even OL.......its a great strategy.....but for QB's.....not so much.

I get the thought process......but without bringing in a STRONG free agent class, that would just leave too many holes in this team. Using a 2nd round pick on a player who's ceiling probably isn't even as high as your current starter is not a good draft strategy considering Stafford really hasn't hit his "prime" (he JUST turned 28) and only one of them can play at a time.

For positions like CB or LB or even OL.......its a great strategy.....but for QB's.....not so much.

I disagree for a few reasons. First, if we still have major holes after free agency, it would foolish to think we can definitely fill them (to a championship level) in the draft. Great teams aren't drafting for this year only, they are drafting for the future of the franchise.

Second, even second round picks aren't guaranteed. Players in our range bust about a third of the time and are just a coin flip to actually be a decent starter. Long term, it's almost always smarter to take the best player over the better fit at the time. Careers are too short and teams have too much turnover to assume fit now should be a big deal.

Third, even an average QB has tremendous value around the league. Look at what teams gave up for guys like Kolb and Bradford. We already have a need for a backup, and if one looks at all competent, he'd be worth that second rounder we gave up easily.

I disagree for a few reasons. First, if we still have major holes after free agency, it would foolish to think we can definitely fill them (to a championship level) in the draft. Great teams aren't drafting for this year only, they are drafting for the future of the franchise.

Second, even second round picks aren't guaranteed. Players in our range bust about a third of the time and are just a coin flip to actually be a decent starter. Long term, it's almost always smarter to take the best player over the better fit at the time. Careers are too short and teams have too much turnover to assume fit now should be a big deal.

Third, even an average QB has tremendous value around the league. Look at what teams gave up for guys like Kolb and Bradford. We already have a need for a backup, and if one looks at all competent, he'd be worth that second rounder we gave up easily.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Every point you just made could easily be a reason NOT to draft a QB in the 2nd, too.

1. We may not be drafting for a championship next year.....but a 2nd round pick has massive value (if done right) and very well could lead to a pro bowl caliber starter in 2 or 3 years. We need starters at OLB, MLB, CB, OL, C and WR......and depth at those positions as well. Our QB has played nearly every snap for the last 5 seasons so the depth at that position isn't NEARLY as important.

2. You said it perfectly.....2nd round picks aren't guaranteed. Certainly not QB's. For every Cousins there is an RGIII or Jamarcus Russell. Goff is a good qb......but NOBODY is going to give us much for him if he never sees the field for 3 years.

3. Average QB's do have some value.....but just like this year.....the FA class is full of them. Why would teams give up valuable picks to pick up someone who is average??? Goff may be better than average......I'm not saying he wont be......but he also may not have the chance to show it in Detroit, either.

Nothing at all wrong with having QB depth. I also want the Lions to draft a QB this year. Just not in the first 4 rounds. Rudock, Hogan, Kessler or even Hackenburg if he fell to the 5th. I actually like Ruddock late. He really improved this year to the point that if he would have another year in college.....he would be in the upper rounds in next years draft.

Agree to disagree here. I'm not advocating to take just any QB in the second, just pointing out that value trumps fit at a certain point. I'm not a big Stafford fan (though not a hater), so this might be easier for me to envision. It would not be crazy to me if Goff ended up better than him.

I wouldn't be happy if we took Cook in the 2nd, or even Lynch. That wouldn't be a good fit OR great value. But then, I wouldn't draft Rudock either. I prefer high upside picks late since we are also dealing with low floors in the late rounds.

Back