Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What the fuck, Marlins?

This is exactly why I think it was the right move. They spent all that money and got nothing in return except for last place and terrible attendance. Why keep spending the money on Reyes and the pitchers if you can get top minor league talent in return and probably get the same results in the standings.

BTW....they get US currency....not sure if that is a good thing anymore!

This would be like us finishing last in the division in 2008 when we were supposed to be good and then getting rid of every single good player we had. Thank God Mr. I isn't that type of owner. Their owner has a history of dumping salary and this time he swindled an entire city to get a new stadium. He gave up after 6 months and had a fire sale.

Last edited:
Yea it would be flat out horrible to be a Marlins fan. Seriously you can never root for your star players, never buy jerseys, have 1 year out of 10 where you can see a winning team.

They built a new stadium and fans still didn't come. It's not hard to see why they are dumping salary.

Check out 2011 to 2012 attendance difference, its huge. And the % of capacity, even bigger.

You're right, I should rephrase.

They built a new stadium and although fans came, they did not come in the amount they expected for a brand new stadium and a bunch of fancy new signings. They started losing money, and were forced to trade said players.

They moved up to 18th in attendance but it was not enough.

Minnesota moved up from 14th to 6th in 2010. Washington went up to 19th when their history was even crappier than the Marlins and they didn't sign anyone in 2008.

I think generally you are right. More fans definitely came out because of the stadium and signings. But I think management definitely miscalculated the amount of a boost they were going to get.

The selloff probably has less to do with attendance than it does with the fact they nearly lost 100 games after spending a great deal of money.

They expected to win their division with that they assembled in 2012, and came in dead last.

Mr, I cut payroll after 2008 too. Not to this extreme though.

You. Se right, I should rephras a and although fans came, they did notMarine owner in the amount they expected for a brand new stadium and a bunch of fancy new signings. They started losing money, and were forced to trade said players.

They moved up to 18th in attendance but it was not enough.

Minnesota moved up from 14th to 6th in 2010. Washington went up to 19th when their history was even crappier than the Marlins and they didn't sign anyone in 2008.

I think generally you are right. More fans definitely came out because of the stadium and signings. But I think management definitely miscalculated the amount of a boost they were going to get.

Capacity % they went from 30 to 14 so big improvement. And it was a public financed stadium so the Marlns owner made out big. He just freaked and did same ole same ole.

I wouldnt go to a game either. Why? Because they team never keeps its players. And look they did it again. Maybe if they kept a great core for 3+ years fans may start to turn around and feel like they can invest themselves in a product that will be there.

I wouldnt go to a game either. Why? Because they team never keeps its players. And look they did it again. Maybe if they kept a great core for 3+ years fans may start to turn around and feel like they can invest themselves in a product that will be there.

I would go to a game all the time. I could get great seats (or not great seats and then just move down) because the stadium would be mostly empty and because I really like baseball games.

I would go to a game all the time. I could get great seats (or not great seats and then just move down) because the stadium would be mostly empty and because I really like baseball games.

Baseball is better when more people go. IMO.

Bug (sic) Selig is a (sic) ass:

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig issued the following statement today regarding the trade between the Miami Marlins and the Toronto Blue Jays:

"Since Tuesday, I have carefully reviewed the proposed transaction between the Miami Marlins and the Toronto Blue Jays. I asked our Baseball Operations Department and our Labor Relations Department to compare this proposed transaction with similar deals. I also consulted with experienced baseball operations executives to get their input regarding the talent involved in this transaction.

"After a thorough examination of this information, it is my conclusion that this transaction, involving established Major Leaguers and highly regarded young players and prospects, represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both Clubs, does not violate any express rule of Major League Baseball and does not otherwise warrant the exercise of any of my powers to prevent its completion. It is, of course, up to the Clubs involved to make the case to their respective fans that this transaction makes sense and enhances the competitive position of each, now or in the future.

"I am sensitive to the concerns of the fans of Miami regarding this trade, and I understand the reactions I have heard since Tuesday. Baseball is a social institution with important social responsibilities and I fully understand that the Miami community has done its part to put the Marlins into a position to succeed with beautiful new Marlins Park. Going forward, I will continue to monitor this situation with the expectation that the Marlins will take into account the sentiments of their fans, who deserve the best efforts and considered judgment of their Club. I have received assurances from the ownership of the Marlins that they share these beliefs and are fully committed to build a long-term winning team that their fans can be proud of."

RESIGN. NOW.

Last edited:
What'd you expect him t say? You didn't really think he was going to refute the deal, did ya?

What'd you expect him t say? You didn't really think he was going to refute the deal, did ya?

I don't fuckin' care what I "expected" him to say. He's a fucking bureaucrat who could give a fuck about MLB but to the extent it makes money for his friends like Loria. He's not a commissioner; he's a gah-dam bag man for MLB owners. If he had the true interests of MLB in mind, he would have cashiered that deal and told both owners to start over.

From a strictly baseball perspective move, the Marlins made a good trade.

But the benefits of that are outweighed by the PR blunder.

Back