Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What you hope for with Cliff Avril

lions2011

No need to comment , just wanna get a sense of where everyone stands with this issue.

Just to clarify, I voted for locking him up long term only because the quality of the pick wasn't specified. I wouldn't take a 5th for him, but a 1st or second would be different.

I hate him playing at 10.6 million and I know his demands are probably ridiculous right now. Hopefully by July they change. I really want him locked up given KVBs age and LoJack is a free agent next year but I don't want them to overpay. Him playing just on the franchise year then bolting would suck.

He'll be overpaid long term is what I think happens.

Take the draft picks and get some good, cheap, young talent. Avril isn't worth what he wants.

On Let's Make a Deal people always took the box. Human nature I guess.

I have said all along to dump him for the best offer. I would tell him to explore his options with other teams and let it be known we will take less than the 2 1's.

Rescind the tag, lock up SLH and Tulloch and get another free agent and play with a scramble on the DLine.

I just compared Avril and Cam Wake's numbers over the last three years and they are almost identical, yet if the Lions were in the running for Wake I'd bet most of you would cream your pants.

cheeno said:
I just compared Avril and Cam Wake's numbers over the last three years and they are almost identical, yet if the Lions were in the running for Wake I'd bet most of you would cream your pants.
Not for $12+ million per year

lp4ever41 said:
cheeno said:
Not for $12+ million per year

Who lied to you? Avril is not going to be making 12 million.

You compared a full time defensive ends numbers to a guy who plays both end and linebacker?? Why would you do that?

zay44 said:
You compared a full time defensive ends numbers to a guy who plays both end and linebacker?? Why would you do that?

Sorry this is so dumb it doesn't warrant response.

I'm all for bringing Avril back if the numbers are right. To be honest, I feel he's a product of the line next to him, only so many blockers to handle a lot of rush, and Avril gets off easy. But the end result is he produces and he causes havoc in the backfield, which is his job.

I'm not so sure Lo-Jack or Willie Young couldn't be just as effective in that spot, but I can't say they would be either. If the dollars add up, lock him up long term. If not, pay the man more than he deserves this season and lets see if he can do it in Motown one more year.

inkfreq said:
I'm all for bringing Avril back if the numbers are right. To be honest, I feel he's a product of the line next to him, only so many blockers to handle a lot of rush, and Avril gets off easy. But the end result is he produces and he causes havoc in the backfield, which is his job.

I'm not so sure Lo-Jack or Willie Young couldn't be just as effective in that spot, but I can't say they would be either. If the dollars add up, lock him up long term. If not, pay the man more than he deserves this season and lets see if he can do it in Motown one more year.

I agree with all of this. I don't know what the guy has done to deserve being written off...but I guess most like yourself Ink think that he is a product of the line as a whole. I just think if the guy's name was Wake and not Avril the poll results would be different.

Back