Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

When can we start believing?

uofm06marine

Perhaps this is an unfair question, but when can we start believing that Michigan stands a chance to go 8-4, or better, this season?

My point in this question is that right now I say "I am hoping for a 8-4 season." Right now I want to believe and just say that U of M "will" go 8-4 this season, but looking at our performances in the past three years I can't quite say it.

So, at what point in the season does this team become legitimate? Is it after the NW game? In my opinion, if we win in EL, this team is a legitimate contender to win the division and easily get the 8-4 season.

The NW game will be telling. First road game of the season. Don't know what the road atmosphere is like at NW, but I can't imagine it is that tough.

A win in EL would be a big step forward for this team. I agree, if they can go into EL and win, then they are contenders, which would be awesome. If that comes to pass, anything could happen, but I would still expect to see Nebraska and Wiscy in the first B10 championship.

rumseyhouse77 said:
The NW game will be telling. First road game of the season. Don't know what the road atmosphere is like at NW, but I can't imagine it is that tough.

A win in EL would be a big step forward for this team. I agree, if they can go into EL and win, then they are contenders, which would be awesome. If that comes to pass, anything could happen, but I would still expect to see Nebraska and Wiscy in the first B10 championship.
I don't disagree, but that is so wrong.

If we beat Minny, Northwestern, and MSU, I will think we've got a good shot at 9-3 or even 10-2. And I actually think that we will do that.

if we go 3-0 over the next 3 games, I expect us to finish no worse than 9-3.

if we can beat MSU on the road, we're 7-0...

i believe now, but we'll see how they do in the big10. i am really drinking the hoke cool aid, M's not world beaters yet but they will be if the continue down the path hoke has em on!

Good question........although I'm pleased with the 4-0 start, I actually EXPECT a 5-0 start, and I'm CONFIDENT of a 6-0 start, with me being in Evanston. After that, it's almost like an entirely different schedule to me. If we beat Sparty in EL, regardless how pretty it is.....I look to go no worse than 9-3 from a confident squad

Jever4321 said:
rumseyhouse77 said:

I don't disagree, but that is so wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I will always hope for Michigan to be in and win the first B10 Championship until the last game. I just think it is hoping beyond hope right now. One game at a time. Anything could happen!

GO BLUE!

I already think we can believe that Michigan will win 8 games.

If they win the next 3, I'll be believing they can do more.

Don't get me wrong I am always hoping that we will have a 10-2 season, but I think if we win the NW game I think it is a lock at 8-4. So I guess the concensus is that if we win the NW game we can start predicting a 8-4 to 10-2 season.

At the risk of beating a dead horse...... I like the improvement that I have seen from the defense, which makes me a believer. Offensively, I have seen nothing that makes me believe things will be any different this year. I think we are 2 years away from being a 9-10 win team but here's to hoping that I am wrong.

Too soon, for sure. IMO we really won't know how good we are until Nebraska. I have no idea about MSU. They got pounded at ND...are they worse than last year?? I don't think so, but who knows...they haven't played anyone yet.

On the other hand, if we lose to Minny, NW, or Iowa we'll know we're definately in a .500 rebuilding year.

Honestly it isn't the product that Michigan has put out on the field that has me believing in them to finish 8-4 or better it is the lack of product in the Big 10. This is one of the worst years in recent memory for the Big 10 so far to start out with the way they have looked. Wisconsin and Nebraska are the only two teams that are really good teams right now. Illinois, MSU, Iowa, and OSU have looked good at times, but not like they truly belong in the Top 25. I would honestly not be shocked with anywhere from 7 to 11 wins based off of the talent in the Big 10. I truly feel we have above a 50% chance of winning every game with the exception of Nebraska in which we have about a 20% chance of winning.

"I'm not worried till the clock is at zero"

I think we can play with anybody on our schedule.

Nebraska hasn't looked that good a times. Wisconsin is the only team that look like a National Contender IMO. I agree we can play with any team on the schedule, but shit happens so who knows. UM's Defense has looked better each game. The Offense looks like Al Borges called RR and asked what his cookie recipe is, and the uses it a lot. UM can contend if they can pass the ball, if they can't get a pass completed on a regular basis and sustain drives, we are all just pissing in the wind!

Northwestern has the worst Defense in the big ten, so I don't think that they will be a true test. Michigan State will be the test. If Michigan can move the ball on them then Michigan should win at least 9 games this year. If they shut down Michigan then Michigan might finish at the bottom of the Big ten again

Maize&Cheese304 said:
"I'm not worried till the clock is at zero"

I think we can play with anybody on our schedule.

I agree with this. After the SDSU game I told my buddy that I felt better about 8-4 than I did last year after starting 4-0 and he replied, "Where are these four losses you're predicting?! OSU looks average, Northwestern ... Purdue ... Sparty?!"

I guess I'm like UofM06Marine in that my confidence is shaken after the Rich Rod era.

Back