Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

When things started to go wrong

jever4321

When they started throwing out the #1 jersey all Willy nilly... change my mind :/

Appy State is the moment for me. Up until then Michigan football in my mind was legitimately the powerhouse everyone pretends it still is today. Ever since that day it's like that idea has slowly been crushed and now it's just been completely shattered altogether. Last year of Carr, and then enter RichRod and you folks know the rest.

Looking back, I think 2006, Shawn Crable's late hit that sealed OSU's 42-30 win in The Game was the turning point.

Hmmmm yeah I’ve thought about that App St. Game too. Kinda hard to recover from that sadly. And I remember that Crable late hit too.. man there are quite a few moments to point to... :(

Looking back, I think 2006, Shawn Crable's late hit that sealed OSU's 42-30 win in The Game was the turning point.

score was 42-39.

They promptly got absolutely SMOKED by Florida in the national title game, and we... more-or-less held our own until Morgan Trent (I think) got burned twice deep in the 4th Q, by a USC team that later vacated the game because they were paying and playing ineligible players.

Lloyd Carr was the most, like - THE MOST - underrated college football coach of his time.

score was 42-39.

They promptly got absolutely SMOKED by Florida in the national title game, and we... more-or-less held our own until Morgan Trent (I think) got burned twice deep in the 4th Q, by a USC team that later vacated the game because they were paying and playing ineligible players.

Lloyd Carr was the most, like - THE MOST - underrated college football coach of his time.
Yup. Typo.

It all started when Johnny Sears convinced the rest of the defense that it was a good idea to get stoned right before the game against App St...

Of course, that had nothing to do with them getting hammered the next week against Oregon.

It all started when Johnny Sears convinced the rest of the defense that it was a good idea to get stoned right before the game against App St...

Of course, that had nothing to do with them getting hammered the next week against Oregon.

I think that Michigan somewhat recovered that season with the win over FL, but that was also the ?little brother? game vs. MSU as well, so ...

Maybe it started when Rich Rodriguez didn't take the Alabama job.

I think that Michigan somewhat recovered that season with the win over FL, but that was also the ?little brother? game vs. MSU as well, so ...

The Florida game stood as a reminder of what could have been the entire season...

It started with John Cooper’s departure from OSU.

For whatever reason, Michigan has not been good enough to adjust to those changes at that place.

Wolverines4life and have the turning point happening at the same time-right after the 1999 season.

Carr’s teams had only lost once to OSU before that - pretty sure anyway - then Carr’s teams went 1-6 from then on, as I recall.

After Carr left, his successors have combined for one freaking win.

As I’m remembering, beginning with 2000 through the last seven seasons under Carr, Michigan went into The Game all seven seasons with the chance to win or share the Big 10 title with a win that day - am I remembering it right?

EDIT:

I guess Tressel’s first season was 2001, not 2000.

And Lloyd’s last season was 2007, not 2006.

Got the numbers right, off by a year in the timing.

Last edited:
Back