Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO?

smayschmouthfootball said:
johnny2x2x said:
Yeah, I like the smack talk. It makes the wins every year against you sweeter.

My brother is a Michigan Grad, I am an MSU grad. We've already started talking shit for the 2012 game. I like that our defense is returning 10 of 11 starters.

Who is not returning?

Robinson (safety)

What about Pickelman ? He is a SR. Do you think Worthy stays ? I think Worthy is gone along with Pickleman. Losing them will hurt but we can fill those positions with experienced players so it wont be that big a deal. That would be three gone if Worthy goes.

Where graduation gets us in on O. We will lose our QB, 3 starting WR's, 2 TE's, and our best O-lineman, that will hurt.

Any chance of any defensive players leaving early for the NFL?

greenandwhite95 said:
What about Pickelman ? He is a SR. Do you think Worthy stays ? I think Worthy is gone along with Pickleman. Losing them will hurt but we can fill those positions with experienced players so it wont be that big a deal. That would be three gone if Worthy goes.

Where graduation gets us in on O. We will lose our QB, 3 starting WR's, 2 TE's, and our best O-lineman, that will hurt.

Losing the wrong players can affect the entire defense. In '98 M lost Woodson and Glen Steele and nine starters returned and the defense suffered the next season.

smayschmouthfootball said:
greenandwhite95 said:

Losing the wrong players can affect the entire defense. In '98 M lost Woodson and Glen Steele and nine starters returned and the defense suffered the next season.

I think Worthy goes, if he doesn't, he is making a mistake. The guy is a game changer and will be missed very much. Like I said over the summer, our secondary is the best it has been in years, and most will return.

You are right, Pickelman and Worthy are big loses, and you never know, it could affect us, but we do have experienced talent to replace them.

pickelman and strayhorn are both graduating, worthy will probably be projected high in the draft, but who knows maybe he will stay. tough to replace worthy abd the quality depth those other two bring, but what we lose there we will gain in defensive end, and then some. gholsten, hoover, rush, drone, lawrence thomas is easily the best collection of defensive ends coming back in the big ten next year. Our linebackers are all coming back, and will have a year of experience under their belt. Robinson is a great safety for us, but a year of starting experience for lewis and dennard, and adams being a senior will make our secondary stronger next year than this year. lippets getting some action now too. MSU may have one of the best defenses in the country next year, right up there with any SEC team.

Who knows whats going to happen on offense with Maxwell. I'm optomistic that we may also have a better offense next year if Maxwell plays more consistent than cousins, of course it could easily turn into a nightmare if he doesn't hit the ground running. We should have an awesome offense right now, but as a result of cousins choking, we only have a strong offense every other game. Luckily in the position where we lose the most (reciever), we are literally reloading. we have so many good wide recievers that arent getting any playing time right now it is ridiculous. fowler, lippet, mumphrey, caesar, burbridge.. any of these guys could be big names next year. Although we are losing Foreman, we will be way better off replacing a guard, then we were this year in replacing both tackles and center with freshmen/sophomores. Our line could and should actually be a strength next year, which will help out maxwell and our running game a lot.

This is basically the MSU team I have wished for my whole life... We have so much talent and depth in underclassmen, that we are a legitimate big ten title contender every year. And we have recruited so intelligently that any given year we arent having a huge drop off in talent in any one area. (Im basing this on last year, this year, and the talent that will still be here for the next couple of years)

^ +1

"We have so much talent and depth in underclassmen"

That's what is so nice as a State fan, to see that depth. We've had some good teams in the past, where you have a few great players and it all comes together if you can avoid injuries, but now we have the players to overcome injuries and not miss much. We beat Wisconsin without Gholston, which several years ago, we would've had a tomato can as a backup, now our D line goes 8 or 9 deep.

After last year, I thought we'd be good, but LB was obviously a huge concern on defense, it's a strength now and we even have the depth to plug guys in without Norman. The O line has struggled, but considering there are 3 new starters and even those have now been replaced shows we have some depth. We're on our 3rd Center! We've struggled to run, but we've been good in pass protection which shows me we have young guys who have a lot of talent to be able to pass protect, but maybe lack the strength and bulk right now to get the push we need for running well.

In all honestly if Maxwell can be a game manager, I expect a better team next year. Maybe not better results as stuff happens, but a better team on paper. The defense could be really really special. The O line I expect to be a strength and have great depth. Backs will be deep and talented and probably able to find more ruining space. Sims will be featured at TE which is great to have for an inexperienced QB. WR will have a ton of talent and speed, but it will be hard to replace a possession receiver like Cunningham. It's good to be a Spartan fan, we could be a better team next year.

The way the staff has recruited has been smart. They've really evaluated talent well too. These big games we're playing in will pay off in recruiting not just right away, but in the next few years. These kids that are being recruited in the Big Ten know that MSU has been a player and has a good program now. They also were in Middle School the last time MSU lost to its biggest rival. The beautiful Michigan State campus doesn't hurt either. There's no reason to think that MSU can't be a B1G title contender for the next several years.

spartansncaachamps said:
pickelman and strayhorn are both graduating, worthy will probably be projected high in the draft, but who knows maybe he will stay. tough to replace worthy abd the quality depth those other two bring, but what we lose there we will gain in defensive end, and then some. gholsten, hoover, rush, drone, lawrence thomas is easily the best collection of defensive ends coming back in the big ten next year. Our linebackers are all coming back, and will have a year of experience under their belt. Robinson is a great safety for us, but a year of starting experience for lewis and dennard, and adams being a senior will make our secondary stronger next year than this year. lippets getting some action now too. MSU may have one of the best defenses in the country next year, right up there with any SEC team.

Who knows whats going to happen on offense with Maxwell. I'm optomistic that we may also have a better offense next year if Maxwell plays more consistent than cousins, of course it could easily turn into a nightmare if he doesn't hit the ground running. We should have an awesome offense right now, but as a result of cousins choking, we only have a strong offense every other game. Luckily in the position where we lose the most (reciever), we are literally reloading. we have so many good wide recievers that arent getting any playing time right now it is ridiculous. fowler, lippet, mumphrey, caesar, burbridge.. any of these guys could be big names next year. Although we are losing Foreman, we will be way better off replacing a guard, then we were this year in replacing both tackles and center with freshmen/sophomores. Our line could and should actually be a strength next year, which will help out maxwell and our running game a lot.

This is basically the MSU team I have wished for my whole life... We have so much talent and depth in underclassmen, that we are a legitimate big ten title contender every year. And we have recruited so intelligently that any given year we arent having a huge drop off in talent in any one area. (Im basing this on last year, this year, and the talent that will still be here for the next couple of years)

Yeah, next year we look stacked. The DT can be replaced. We have some good talent there that should compete right away. We are solid everywhere else. I think Lippett will be a WR next year with all of our loses there, but we other guys ( Hicks, White, Drummond ) that will step up and fill the loss of Robinson.

I hope Maxwell looks good. He would have like 4 years to prepare for it. We won't know until we see him in action but lets cross our fingers.

johnny2x2x said:
...I expect a better team next year. Maybe not better results as stuff happens, but a better team on paper...

How many years in a row can a fanbase say this?

greenandwhite95 said:
DR said:
How many years in a row can a fanbase say this?

So far 4 and counting for UM

UM fans have been predicting fewer wins than the previous season for the last 4 years? Oh. I wasn't aware of that.

DR said:
greenandwhite95 said:
So far 4 and counting for UM

UM fans have been predicting fewer wins than the previous season for the last 4 years? Oh. I wasn't aware of that.

They have been predicting better teams every year. Is this years team any better. On paper yes. Will the record show it. Tick Tock Tick Tock.

Back