Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who should we fire first Hoke or Borges?

Hoke could have called a timeout. Depending on who you want to blame more, you can blame coach or QB more. The qb has to know better if the snap can be done in time. A lot of coaches are hesitant to call TO there b/c if you have a good play called and you call TO when the snap could have been done, you do more harm than good.

In that situation though, didn't seem like they cared much if the plays would work as much as they just wanted to run clock, so maybe Hoke should have used a TO there, but Gardner has to share a lot of blame.

Jesus fucking Christ. People all fall to their knees and praise Hoke and staff all Summer long about their recruiting but once we lose our first game of the year it's time to grab the pitch forks and bury this staff? Whoooooooa the sky is falling!!!!!!! Fire everyone!!!!!! Maybe DickRod will come back from Arizona and save us!!! Fuck that. In Hoke I trust!!!

Yeah I am frustrated with this team but it's not exactly time to jump ship. We have some talent but it is young, especially on the o-line. The D didn't play that bad but the final Penn St drive of regulation was unacceptable. Don't forget Gardner practically gave them 14 points. We just aren't good enough to overcome mistakes against any halfway decent team.

Oh yeah same excuse we have heard since RR's second year...

We are young..

Give me a break..

Hoke could have called a timeout. Depending on who you want to blame more, you can blame coach or QB more. The qb has to know better if the snap can be done in time. A lot of coaches are hesitant to call TO there b/c if you have a good play called and you call TO when the snap could have been done, you do more harm than good.

In that situation though, didn't seem like they cared much if the plays would work as much as they just wanted to run clock, so maybe Hoke should have used a TO there, but Gardner has to share a lot of blame.

I can't remember exactly but wouldn't that have been our last TO? I think Hoke wanted to save it to run the clock down as much as possible before kicking the FG. I don't know but either way it was an unacceptable finish.

Oh yeah same excuse we have heard since RR's second year...

We are young..

Give me a break..

Take a look at the roster and get back to me. You don't just proclaim we're Michigan and it's Hoke's 3rd year so were gonna kick everyone's ass. It's a rebuild and unfortunately it ain't gonna happen as fast as we had hoped.

OK. Gooood golly I'm on board. Let's fire Hoke. Fire Borges. Hell Fire Mattison!!!!! His shitty ass defense and shitty players like Jake Shitty Mother Fuckkng Ryan suck!! Their shiity ass playing gave up 43 shitty ass points. Shitty ass Blake have up too many passes. Shitty ass Ross III didn't make enough tackles. If shitty ass Frank Clark would have gotten more scoop and scores maybe we win. Shitty ass players and coaches. Damn!!!!!!

Again, see my post from a couple weeks ago on the lack of veteran OLine depth. Frustrating.

Last edited:
Take a look at the roster and get back to me. You don't just proclaim we're Michigan and it's Hoke's 3rd year so were gonna kick everyone's ass. It's a rebuild and unfortunately it ain't gonna happen as fast as we had hoped.

Team is regressing in to many area's including suspect coaching decisions by all three of the top 3 coaches.. How come they can't fix DG's turnover problems.. If rushing is not working 27/27 why keep running the same play to the left for minus yards? Ok were young but I see the same mistake we based rich rod over... 43 points.. right I guess we are young.

3 plays 80 yards to tie the game verses a Michigan defense. Oh I know they are young.. It's ok wait till year 5 of Hoke's reign... And yet Meyer comes in with a 6-6 team and has not lost,,

But those scores verses Akron and U-conn were even worse ..Oh we are young it will be better soon..

Did you see those coaches go for the win in OT... Nice lets run,run,run and kick a FG because we are Michigan and we teach fundamentals.. blocking, tackling, kicking...
It was beyond horrible tonight verses a team with 20 less players then us.. But we are young.. We got beat by a freshmen.. Wish we had freshmen playmakers..

Wait is first down.. I will give you one guess what play Borges will call?

Same excuse we used with RR.. whatever if you are happy with 43 points and giving up 80 yards in in the last minute to let them tie because they are young ok.. Recruiting is one thing but you should be showing improvement in year 3.. being young and making the same mistake over and over again from the coaches to the players needs to stop improve drastically.. Hoke wants to pound the ball but so far his players he has gotten up front have not preformed well at all.. I know blame it on youth..

Last edited:
Same excuse we used with RR.. whatever if you are happy with 43 points and giving up 80 yards in in the last minute to let them tie because they are young ok.. Recruiting is one thing but you should be showing improvement in year 3.. being young and making the same mistake over and over again from the coaches to the players needs to top improve drastically.. Hoke wants to pound the ball but so far his players he has gotten up front have not preformed well at all.. I know blame it on youth..

FIRE Mattison. His shitty ass defense gave up those 43 points. Shitty players on defense. Shitty Ryan. Shitty Countess. Shitty Clark. Shitty Ross. Get rid of them all. How dare they give up those points. Damn them all!!!!!!

As of right now we are years away from the top teams in the SEC.. Probably even O$U. which really hurts to say because after they went 6-6 I thought they were going to trend down for a few years... Nope... Shit can you imagine the MSU fans after beating us 5 out of 6 years.. I know we are young.. it will get better right?

Last edited:
FIRE Mattison. His shitty ass defense gave up those 43 points. Shitty players on defense. Shitty Ryan. Shitty Countess. Shitty Clark. Shitty Ross. Get rid of them all. How dare they give up those points. Damn them all!!!!!!

Hey go read all my posts on this thread... News flash I never said fire anyone.. That is someone else... But we are young and I guess you have no concerns about the direction.. Hoke has to coach better.. Way to many of the same mistakes Hokes team is making.. same as in year 2.. He is the coach.. He has to fix this. they made less mistakes in year one..

Last edited:

I guess only school's like Alabama can do that and other SEC teams...frustrating because Michigan should be in the top 25 every year.. Years of mediocrity are contagious. 8-5 was ok after Hokes brilliant 11-2 season using RR's players.. Our 5-1 team is making the same mistakes as last years team...PSU had what 15-25 less players then we did.. Tonight was embarrassing just like 2 of the last 3 wins were... Sorry if I am not drinking the youth coolaid.

Yea you all are pathetic.. At least the one's calling for Brian Kelly's head.. I mean Charlie.. or Ty.. or my bad, guess I thought this was a ND FUCKING board bc you all sound like a bunch of whining ND bitches! Its ok bc eveyone is used to it. You did it last yr.. you did it during BBall season.We know who you are. Its ok. We went into happy valley and choked. It is what it is. Hopefully the players and coaches learn from it. You know good coaches and good teams lose sometimes. Its not fair but that's why we watch collegiate football.

Hoke shouldn't be fired at this point, though last nite's coaching was awful. He does need to clearly understand that he can be fired. If this is his dream job, etc. he better get it together.

What the hell is it with DG and the turnovers? I mean there was that one series where Michigan had 3rd and one and he drops the snap! WTF? I assume they have a sport psychologist working with him, but I don't know. They need to get the kids head right. And Fitz is done. Give the ball to Green. He can do just as poorly as Fitz has done.

For the record, I was kidding... I don't think anyone should be fired... But someday we have to stop making excuses about depth and youth. It's college football. Everyone gets 4 years of eligibility... I understand there is a difference between an 18 year old freshman and a 21 year old senior, but it's not always a magical transformation. Most players get marginally better. I guess it takes a lot of recruiting classes to transform a program back to pro-style.

That aside, It seems like they're having trouble developing QB's, RB's, receivers and lineman(offensive & defensive) who knows if that's a personnel issue with coaches or players? I would put it on the coaches since they have athletes... Coaches are responsible (at this stage of their careers) for their development, preparation and to some degree execution.

There seems to be very little trust in devin Gardner's ability to deliver the football accurately. It feels exactly the same as when Denard was playing. The PSU game was there for the taking. It seems like Borges shares Woody Hayes's mentality about the forward pass... Maybe he's handicapped with a QB that can't execute... Tough to tell but I have to say that Borges looks bad because he covering up for inaccurate QB's...?

Last edited:
Yea you all are pathetic.. At least the one's calling for Brian Kelly's head.. I mean Charlie.. or Ty.. or my bad, guess I thought this was a ND FUCKING board bc you all sound like a bunch of whining ND bitches! Its ok bc eveyone is used to it. You did it last yr.. you did it during BBall season.We know who you are. Its ok. We went into happy valley and choked. It is what it is. Hopefully the players and coaches learn from it. You know good coaches and good teams lose sometimes. Its not fair but that's why we watch collegiate football.

I agree Michigan fans overreact to EVERY loss or close game. In the last 10 years of Michigan football 2002-2012 how many 10 win seasons did we have? FOUR and one of them was with Hoke as a head coach. Let's not forget about the undefeated home record, breaking the streak against OSU, getting to a BCS/Jan 1st. bowl while actually winning, and just an overall winning record against our rivals. Yes his team has to get better on the road, and he is still getting the players in for his system, but at least while he is doing that our team is winning most games and losing a few. If you remember the complaint with RR was that yes he needs his players, but he should still be winning more now with the talent we had, and Hoke is doing that. Let me recap 1981-1984 under Bo for those of you that claim Michigan isn't used to being mediocre.

1981 - 9-3
1982 - 8-4
1983 - 9-3
1984 - 6-6

Let's not forget the bowl record of 5-12 by Bo over his career as well.

Quit acting like a 5-1 record is the end of the world the team will learn from it we will beat Indiana next week, and still have a shot at winning the Conference Championship.

This is a YOUNG team! I will say I am pissed at Borges because I believe the offense could have been more explosive as well as cutting the load we put on Gardner. But the oline is not good neither is the dline. They are both young inexperienced units. I am not part of the lynching mob since I think this team has done a good job of winning games. They may not be pretty or dominant but they are winning. Yesterday they should have won. How many field goals does Gibbons miss that were within range? I mean seriously we went to happy valley on their homecoming and should have walked out the door with the W. I can look at Borges for going to conservative and being redundant with play calls but we were still in a position to win.

Back