Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Whooping Cough is now officially an epidemic in California

spockmaster

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...icially-epidemic-california-officials-n132056

Whooping cough is now officially an epidemic in California largely in part because of the FUCKING MORONS who don't vaccinate their kids for it, and now other people (and probably many of them as well) are getting sick and even dying because of their stupidity and ignorance.

People who refuse to vaccinate their kids for the major diseases like pertussis should have their kids taken away.

Is that your opinion? Because the article does not suggest that it's tied to people refusing to get their kids vaccinated.

Last edited:
Is that your opinion? Because the article does not suggest that it's tied to people refusing to get their kids vaccinated.

Kids can be vaccinated, which prevents them from getting it. The fact that such a high number of kids are getting, clearly suggests that they aren't vaccinated.

Maybe a lot of Christian scientists out there?

Kids can be vaccinated, which prevents them from getting it. The fact that such a high number of kids are getting, clearly suggests that they aren't vaccinated.

I would agree but it's possible some of the non-vaccinated are not by choice, but by cost/legal status.

Plenty of moron hipped out there like Jenny MCarthy who oppose vaccinations, but I'm sure some of the non-vaccinated are from other reasons besides conspiracy theory choice.

Whooping Cough vaccine does not prevent Whooping Cough. It reduces the opportunity to contract it and the vaccine does not prevent someone from spreading it to another person. The revised version of it is not as potent as the previous version and it's not a lifelong vaccine. There are five recommended doses from the age of 2 to 15. And the effect dilute over time. So the issue is not necessarily "morons" who "refuse" to get the vaccine.

"Even though children who haven't received DTaP vaccines are at least 8 times more likely to get pertussis than children who received all 5 recommended doses of DTaP, they are not the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics. "

Source: CDC.

You call that "neutral?"

Headline: Vaccine Refusals Fueled California's Whooping Cough Epidemic

Graf that could have been the headline: Vaccine refusal wasn't the only factor fueling the California outbreak. It was buried at the bottom of the story.

This from the CDC:

Even though children who haven't received DTaP vaccines are at least 8 times more likely to get pertussis than children who received all 5 recommended doses of DTaP, they are not the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics.

I'm curious. what is the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics then?

Probably people from Latin American countries where government sponsored vaccinations are not routinely conducted.

Last edited:
You call that "neutral?"

Headline: Vaccine Refusals Fueled California's Whooping Cough Epidemic

Graf that could have been the headline: Vaccine refusal wasn't the only factor fueling the California outbreak. It was buried at the bottom of the story.

This from the CDC:

Even though children who haven't received DTaP vaccines are at least 8 times more likely to get pertussis than children who received all 5 recommended doses of DTaP, they are not the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics.
No, the original article was fairly neutral. That one was obviously not.

I'm curious. what is the driving force behind the large scale outbreaks or epidemics then?

I read somewhere else that is it because the current vaccine may not be as effective as thought. The period that it works for may be shorter than expected. The anti-vax movement doesn't help either though.

I read somewhere else that is it because the current vaccine may not be as effective as thought. The period that it works for may be shorter than expected. The anti-vax movement doesn't help either though.

But...

That's not exclusive to California.

And the anti-vax movement isn't exclusive to California (just because Jenny McCarthy probably lives here doesn't make that so).

Now...immigrants from 2nd and 3rd world countries Latin American countries, are also, not exclusive to California.

But there are a hell of a lot of them here; obviously the border states to the south are going to have more.

That could be part of it. IIRC, Texas has also declared it to be an epidemic recently.

Obviously, theres no single factor in causing this outbreak. To me though, the anti-vaxxer assholes are simply the most infuriating part of it.

Back