Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

why atheists are so hated

My sister (one of 3) and her family are witnesses, and huge pains in the ass. I bet the rest of my family would rather they were atheists like me, rather than witnesses.

What kinds of annoying shit do they do?

What kinds of annoying shit do they do?

Things like never visit anyone, because it's always some kind of holiday, and they don't believe in them. Except anniversaries.

They won't come to weddings, even when it's a sibling, only receptions, unless the reception is in a catholic churches hall, then they wont come to that either.

No Thanksgiving, no New Years, no 4th of July, even benign holidays they pass on.

They constantly try to preach their version of the bible....now it's pretty hypocritical that most of my (Catholic) family gets annoyed by this, but in the end it is pretty annoying.

The door knockers who come to my house....will often "name drop" thinking that will get them inside. It never does. I suspect my sister/family has told them to visit, seeing as they know as soon as I answer the door that I'm _____'s brother-in law.

They are 10 times more self righteous than anyone else I know.

The list is actually much deeper, but that would involve more personal stuff I'm not going to mention here.

Things like never visit anyone, because it's always some kind of holiday, and they don't believe in them. Except anniversaries.

They won't come to weddings, even when it's a sibling, only receptions, unless the reception is in a catholic churches hall, then they wont come to that either.

No Thanksgiving, no New Years, no 4th of July, even benign holidays they pass on.

They constantly try to preach their version of the bible....now it's pretty hypocritical that most of my (Catholic) family gets annoyed by this, but in the end it is pretty annoying.

The door knockers who come to my house....will often "name drop" thinking that will get them inside. It never does. I suspect my sister/family has told them to visit, seeing as they know as soon as I answer the door that I'm _____'s brother-in law.

They are 10 times more self righteous than anyone else I know.

The list is actually much deeper, but that would involve more personal stuff I'm not going to mention here.

that is pretty annoying. no atheist would ever do crap like that.

on my mom's side of the family, everyone remained catholic to some degree (except my for my atheist brother and I, and one aunt and uncle who go to their non-denominational christian-rock church), but they were never particularly fervent about it, so it never seemed to cause any problems. go to church if you want, or don't, but no one is going to force you. I think everyone recognizes that we see eachother so rarely, family should be a source of support rather than a source of acrimony, and so it's silly to let something like religion affect family get togethers.

on my dad's side, they were more extreme... tending toward the opus dei side of Catholicism, and also kookier stuff in general (energy crystals, Fox News, UFOs, Bill Clinton and the Illuminati will turn your kids gay, etc.) I remember after my maternal grandmother died, my paternal grandma called my mom to lecture her that the funeral mass wasn't a "Real" Catholic mass, and that's why she didn't get up to receive communion (like anyone gave a shit). My mom was like "My mom just died. Why the hell are you telling me this?" they also are less successful socially and financially, and well... less "normal" for lack of a better word. I think extreme religious behavior tends to be a symptom rather than a cause of it though. They just have trouble dealing with reality, so they find something simple to occupy their free time.

I worked with a JW for ~6 months and he often gave me their literature during our breaks and lunches. One morning I decided to actually read one of the pamphlets, then underlined every sentence or paragraph that I knew that he wasn't doing or following, then gave it back to him. He sat in the lunchroom and puzzled over my underlining for awhile. Of course he still didn't change anything and continued to work as much OT that management would allow (greed)

Last edited:
Jews "like" Muslims more than White Evangelicals ... that's saying something.

Back