Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why is Phil Coke on this roster?

Quality depth was a main reason we lost so many extra inning games earlier in the season.

Pitchers who have taken the loss in our extra inning losses were:

Villarreal-1
Coke-4(the official white flag)
Downs-1
Ortega-1
Putkonen-1
Rondon-1
Al-1
Bondo-1

Now that we have weeded out some of the stiffs and have added better arms we seem to be much better.

First 11 extra's- 2-11
Last 5- 3-2

I had a job once, in college, I called it the looker upper. Guy I was working with was renovating a build and my job was to hand him things so he didn't have to come all way the way down the latter. He wanted me to continue looking up to make sure nothing fell on me..

20 hours a week for 4 months all I did was look up. When he wanted something he just came down and got it. I didn't do anything but look up..

For a lousy 4 bucks an hour. This is a job for Phil Coke.

Make no mistake, you were his bitch. lol

I had a job once, in college, I called it the looker upper. Guy I was working with was renovating a build and my job was to hand him things so he didn't have to come all way the way down the latter. He wanted me to continue looking up to make sure nothing fell on me..

20 hours a week for 4 months all I did was look up. When he wanted something he just came down and got it. I didn't do anything but look up..

I was thinking more along the line of the guy who works construction, who gets to hold the sign up all day that that you rotate to say STOP, or SLOW. He could probably handle that. Or maybe a life guard at a car wash.

I was thinking more along the line of the guy who works construction, who gets to hold the sign up all day that that you rotate to say STOP, or SLOW. He could probably handle that. Or maybe a life guard at a car wash.

hell no! He would blow that too. When he was supposed to show traffic the stop sign he would have it the wrong way and would cause head on collisions!

Quality depth was a main reason we lost so many extra inning games earlier in the season.

Pitchers who have taken the loss in our extra inning losses were:

Villarreal-1
Coke-4(the official white flag)
Downs-1
Ortega-1
Putkonen-1
Rondon-1
Al-1
Bondo-1

Now that we have weeded out some of the stiffs and have added better arms we seem to be much better.

First 11 extra's- 2-11
Last 5- 3-2

Let's be fair here.

April 21st. DET was tied 3-3 after 5 innings. Coke pitched a flawless 11th inning (2 Ks, 1 infield ground out). He pitched to 4 batters in the 12th, and with 2 outs and none on, gave Pujols an IBB, but retired Hamilton. 2 IP 0 ER 4Ks. He was left in the game, and Trumbo lead off the 13th with a HR. DET loses 4-3 in 13. DET 0-3 with RISP after 5th inning.

April 25th - DET was up 3-2 going to the top of the 8th inning (they last scored in the 5th). DET loses 8-3 in 10 innings. Rondon allowed the tying run in the 8th. After Rondon gave up a hit in the 9th, Coke came on and ended the inning without allowing a run (3 outs, 1 IBB). Coke starts the 10th with an out, followed by double, walk, wild pitch, IBB and then another walk. Again, after starting his 2nd inning of work, at what point does he come out? BTW, he only gave up 1 ER prior to leaving the game. Downs gave up a grand slam to Alex Gordon, resulting in his other 3 earned runs. DET did not have a base runner for the last 5 innings.

June 12th - DET lead 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Both Smyly and Valverde gave up runs, sending it into extra innings. KCR won it with a walk off in the bottom of 10th, winning 3-2. DET offense had not scored in 5 innings. DET went 0-5 with RISP AFTER the 5th inning.

June 27th - DET scored in the 2nd and was a tied game (1-1) after 9 innings. Certainly, Coke got the loss. He had 3 straight hits, followed by a walk. You would think maybe he controls when he comes out of the game. DET went 0-4 with RISP after the 2nd inning. DET lost 3-1.

26 innings in 4 games where the DET offense did not score a run and 0-12 with RISP.

I do not think Coke is the cat's meow, but he doesn't need more blame than he should. At least 3 of these losses where probably because he was left in too long. All four may not have existed if the offense were awake past 6 innings.

Blame on offense or the fact RP can't continue to pitch without giving up a run. Nonetheless, 4 loses is big. On your last point, blame Leyland. Coke should never be left in too long..

Let's be fair here.

April 21st. DET was tied 3-3 after 5 innings. Coke pitched a flawless 11th inning (2 Ks, 1 infield ground out). He pitched to 4 batters in the 12th, and with 2 outs and none on, gave Pujols an IBB, but retired Hamilton. 2 IP 0 ER 4Ks. He was left in the game, and Trumbo lead off the 13th with a HR. DET loses 4-3 in 13. DET 0-3 with RISP after 5th inning.

April 25th - DET was up 3-2 going to the top of the 8th inning (they last scored in the 5th). DET loses 8-3 in 10 innings. Rondon allowed the tying run in the 8th. After Rondon gave up a hit in the 9th, Coke came on and ended the inning without allowing a run (3 outs, 1 IBB). Coke starts the 10th with an out, followed by double, walk, wild pitch, IBB and then another walk. Again, after starting his 2nd inning of work, at what point does he come out? BTW, he only gave up 1 ER prior to leaving the game. Downs gave up a grand slam to Alex Gordon, resulting in his other 3 earned runs. DET did not have a base runner for the last 5 innings.

June 12th - DET lead 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Both Smyly and Valverde gave up runs, sending it into extra innings. KCR won it with a walk off in the bottom of 10th, winning 3-2. DET offense had not scored in 5 innings. DET went 0-5 with RISP AFTER the 5th inning.

June 27th - DET scored in the 2nd and was a tied game (1-1) after 9 innings. Certainly, Coke got the loss. He had 3 straight hits, followed by a walk. You would think maybe he controls when he comes out of the game. DET went 0-4 with RISP after the 2nd inning. DET lost 3-1.

26 innings in 4 games where the DET offense did not score a run and 0-12 with RISP.

I do not think Coke is the cat's meow, but he doesn't need more blame than he should. At least 3 of these losses where probably because he was left in too long. All four may not have existed if the offense were awake past 6 innings.
So let me get this right. You're defending a guy that in the games you highlighted his stat line was: 4.2 IP 7 hits 6 walks 8 ER's for a 2.79 WHIP and 15.43 ERA? The lack of offense does not excuse the fact he was garbage and the 2 extended outings he threw 33 pitches in each game and was coming off 3 and 4 days rest.

Regardless, my original point was to point out that the guys that took the loss in most of those games are not with the team anymore(aside from Coke who shouldn't be) and since they've been gone we've done much better.

Also, the "white flag" comment is indeed warranted. Coke has pitched in 5 extra inning games. The 4 losses mentioned before and last week when he came in for Bondo and promptly gave up the winning hit to the only guy he faced. 5 losses ALL of which he either was responsible for the winning run or gave up the winning hit.

But hell, what do I know. I don't provide any insight to this forum.:shrug:

Last edited:
So let me get this right. You're defending a guy that in the games you highlighted his stat line was: 4.2 IP 7 hits 6 walks 8 ER's for a 2.79 WHIP and 15.43 ERA? The lack of offense does not excuse the fact he was garbage and the 2 extended outings he threw 33 pitches in each game and was coming off 3 and 4 days rest.

Regardless, my original point was to point out that the guys that took the loss in most of those games are not with the team anymore(aside from Coke who shouldn't be) and since they've been gone we've done much better.

Also, the "white flag" comment is indeed warranted. Coke has pitched in 5 extra inning games. The 4 losses mentioned before and last week when he came in for Bondo and promptly gave up the winning hit to the only guy he faced. 5 losses ALL of which he either was responsible for the winning run or gave up the winning hit.

But hell, what do I know. I don't provide any insight to this forum.:shrug:

4 of 8 = most

Coke has 10 games where he threw 19 or more pitches in a game, including 3 of the above games. In two of these games, he threw those 33 pitches, which is a lot for a reliever.

19 or more pitches:

10 G 0-3 0 SV 1 BS 12.0 IP 15 H 12 ER 11 BB 11 K 9.00 ERA 2.17 WHIP

Less than 19 pitches:

32 G 0-2 1 SV 1 BS 24.0 IP 22 H 8 ER 4 BB 19 K 3.00 ERA 1.08 WHIP

Once again I will state that I don't think Coke is all that good, just he is being misused by Leyland and getting way too much flak, especially by you.

And if you would just approach anything I post with an open mind, you might see where you cannot pin all late inning losses on relievers, that the lack of offense is partly to blame.

There is no question half of Coke's problems are because of Leyland. I doubt anyone disagrees with that. Just like when we had Valverde (when he was pitching good) and his non save situations were horrible yet Leyland kept throwing him in those situations.

My first job out of HS was as a retail stock clerk grossing $100 a week...then during the recession of '75 they cut my hours to PT 3 day per week, but still had the same FULL week's worth of work to do when I came in every other day. Had to take another PT job driving used cars down to South Bend IN to an auto auction twice a week (one driven there and one bought back) for $20 bucks + food (b-fast& lunch) and money for gas (receipt required)

Then in late '75 I got a job working as a railroad clerk in personnel accounting and human resources ~ the Michigan Central Station nearby the late Tiger Stadium....started out making $28 K a year plus OT, full benefits and pension. Loved it...but was permanently laid off about a decade later when Detroit's auto and automotive-related businesses & industry, as well as the city itself began to more rapidly decline in population and employment. Just about everyone I knew was or had family members who left the state in search of work...like Texas where MI's license plates caused the natives there to call Michigander expatriates "black-taggers"

My first job out of HS was as a retail stock clerk grossing $100 a week...then during the recession of '75 they cut my hours to PT 3 day per week, but still had the same FULL week's worth of work to do when I came in every other day. Had to take another PT job driving used cars down to South Bend IN to an auto auction twice a week (one driven there and one bought back) for $20 bucks + food (b-fast& lunch) and money for gas (receipt required)

Then in late '75 I got a job working as a railroad clerk in personnel accounting and human resources ~ the Michigan Central Station nearby the late Tiger Stadium....started out making $28 K a year plus OT, full benefits and pension. Loved it...but was permanently laid off about a decade later when Detroit's auto and automotive-related businesses & industry, as well as the city itself began to more rapidly decline in population and employment. Just about everyone I knew was or had family members who left the state in search of work...like Texas where MI's license plates caused the natives there to call Michigander expatriates "black-taggers"

That's a bummer about that..28k plus pension and full benefits seems like a lot in '75, eh?

I searched and found this:

mi79black400.jpg

This license plate has a story to tell...
In the 1970's there was an energy crisis (sound familiar?). Car sales were down in Michigan, the automobile capital of the United States. Michigan workers seeking employment drove from Michigan to Texas, looking for new careers.

The people seen driving cars with these plates were nicknamed "Black Taggers". Probably not intended in a complimentary way, these newcomers were seen as a threat to taking local jobs.

4 of 8 = most

Coke has 10 games where he threw 19 or more pitches in a game, including 3 of the above games. In two of these games, he threw those 33 pitches, which is a lot for a reliever.

19 or more pitches:

10 G 0-3 0 SV 1 BS 12.0 IP 15 H 12 ER 11 BB 11 K 9.00 ERA 2.17 WHIP

Less than 19 pitches:

32 G 0-2 1 SV 1 BS 24.0 IP 22 H 8 ER 4 BB 19 K 3.00 ERA 1.08 WHIP

Once again I will state that I don't think Coke is all that good, just he is being misused by Leyland and getting way too much flak, especially by you.

And if you would just approach anything I post with an open mind, you might see where you cannot pin all late inning losses on relievers, that the lack of offense is partly to blame.
I acknowledged in my post that they've been better LATELY. Therefore, I really don't consider AL, Rondon and Bondo a part of that first half group that was not so good. So it's really 4 of 5.

Secondly, I'm curious what role you think Coke should be used in?

Lastly, I agree that in some of the extra inning games offense was to blame. But let me point out that 5 of the 9 first half losses were in the 10th inning. Giving the offense only 1 shot at scoring.

That's a bummer about that..28k plus pension and full benefits seems like a lot in '75, eh?

Yeah, I was earning more money than even my father was as a management-level employee @ the time. Fortunately I was able to hang on long enough to vest a partial railroad retirement pension, which will begin when (or better still... IF) I reach age 65.

I really wanted to become a freight locomotive engineer, b/c even back in the early 80s they were earning $70-80 K per year, (I know how much they made b/c I processed their timecards and made adjustments based on how many hours they claimed to have worked+how many locomotives were used each day) but they were not adding new trainees (still called "firemen") during that time...oh well.

Coke's five year service anniversary kicks in on August 22nd. need to option him and get him to work on stuff in Toledo to Labor day.
less than 48 hours to get this chump out of here.

Back