Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why is this not in the news?

I think Spartanmack hinted at why it's a non-story in the US ...there are a lot of factors.

But I also think a reason the story isn't getting more run is because it simply acknowledges the hypocritical nature of dealing with social issues in an era gone by. Whether a young, unwed mother was "sent to live with her Aunt in the country" or there was in fact some back alley, ILLEGAL abortion performed, the fact of the matter is that the Church has always been hypocritical and I think everyone knows it.

And the fact that everyone knows it diminishes the shock and outrageof the story.

And hell yeah, if this were in the US or could somehow be linked to either the Tea Party or Benghazi, you'd be hearing a lot more about it.

I'm still heartbroken over the millions of sperm that die a horrible death every time someone has an ejaculation. oh the horror

You've said some pretty stupid things on here but this could be your all time dumbest.

Last edited:
You've said some pretty stupid things on here but this could be your all time dumbest.

well you seem to have a hard and fast definition of where life begins and you want everyone else to abide by it. i can set a bunch of different ones, maybe it begins at birth, the third trimester, 12 weeks, conception, ovulation, ejaculation, the first drink.

that's what this whole argument is about really, a difference of where life begins, either that or you think the world would be a better place with a bunch of unwanted children born to unwed mothers running the streets.

well you seem to have a hard and fast definition of where life begins and you want everyone else to abide by it. i can set a bunch of different ones, maybe it begins at birth, the third trimester, 12 weeks, conception, ovulation, ejaculation, the first drink.

that's what this whole argument is about really, a difference of where life begins, either that or you think the world would be a better place with a bunch of unwanted children born to unwed mothers running the streets.

He's okay with that, as long as the state provides no welfare benefits for them, ever along the way, never intervenes to ensure they are protected from racial prejudice, defrauded by businesses or eat tainted meat, requires them to carry photo ID to vote, deploys a heavy police presence to ensure they are kept away from him & his family, and can sentence them to death.

Part of why I keep saying things are better than they ever have been. The past sucked. There's a reason birthrates are plummeting while populations skyrocket. There's no other reasonable conclusion. There are skeletons everywhere. There has never been enough to go around and whoever was in charge, oversaw terrible things. Some people are going to find the people that put themselves in the middle of the worst of it responsible, but it's not easy to know where the bad decisions were made. Often, the people making the ugly decisions have a way to make sure they don't have to look at it.

Last edited:
He's okay with that, as long as the state provides no welfare benefits for them, ever along the way, never intervenes to ensure they are protected from racial prejudice, defrauded by businesses or eat tainted meat, requires them to carry photo ID to vote, deploys a heavy police presence to ensure they are kept away from him & his family, and can sentence them to death.

Save the baby, save the baby

Oh great, you had the baby, what a good decision. now you're on your own.....whore

Pretty funny coming from a guy who wants the entire world to abide by his "consensus as science" beliefs re: anthropogenic climate change. Yes, being that I'm not a science denier and I don't pick and choose when science matters so that I can select a convenient, arbitrary definitions of life to justify killing human beings, I do have a logical definition of where human life begins. I know that life begins at conception, the point at which a new organism with it's own DNA now exists that didn't exist before. The baby has a heartbeat, circulatory system and organs in 3 weeks - before most women even know they're pregnant. According to all the laws of nature, the offspring of two members of a species is always the same type of creature as the parents - the offspring of humans is without exception, human. The idea that you use "viability outside the womb" or whatever to say the baby is some other-than-human organism is clearly anti-science. The idea that you use poverty to justify abortion is downright appalling particularly in this dayand age when you have couples searching the world over because there aren't enough babies to adopt here in this country.

Save the baby, save the baby

Oh great, you had the baby, what a good decision. now you're on your own.....whore

you two knuckleheads were made for each other...

there aren't enough babies to adopt here in this country.

Well, absent social safety nets, abortion, the Pill, and contraceptives, there likely would be tens of millions more babies who needed or are needing foster care and adoption. But perhaps many wouldn't have been born anyway, since their poor ill, infirm, diseased grandparents and parents could have perished or been imprisoned prior to becoming pregnant.

Dunno how far our resources, economy, and infrastructure could stretch to support an additional 50 M or so in the US now, instead of ~320 M

Last edited:
you have couples searching the world over because there aren't enough babies to adopt here in this country.

Um, no.

That is not why people adopted from outside the US. They did it because the adoption process in the US is painstakingly long and difficult, where as countries like China and several East African nations the paperwork was expedited assuming you had the money to pay the fees and grease the wheels.

I understand you're trying to make your point on the issue, but you're dead wrong, there are plenty of babies/children awaiting adoption in the US, don't try to get stupid and use abortion as the reason it does not happen often, blame the bureaucracy.

A good friend of mine and his wife adopted 1 child (started process at 2 months old, 8 1/2 months old when adoption finalized) already and considered going through China to adopt a girl, but recently that has become extremely difficult as well.

goddamn government making it hard to just go out and get a baby whenever the fuck you want. 6 months to assume complete parental, legal, financial, and social rights and responsibilities of an infant human being? are you fucking kidding me?

Um, no.

That is not why people adopted from outside the US. They did it because the adoption process in the US is painstakingly long and difficult, where as countries like China and several East African nations the paperwork was expedited assuming you had the money to pay the fees and grease the wheels.

I understand you're trying to make your point on the issue, but you're dead wrong, there are plenty of babies/children awaiting adoption in the US, don't try to get stupid and use abortion as the reason it does not happen often, blame the bureaucracy.

A good friend of mine and his wife adopted 1 child (started process at 2 months old, 8 1/2 months old when adoption finalized) already and considered going through China to adopt a girl, but recently that has become extremely difficult as well.

Obviously you've never seen Raising Arizona.

Um yes, it is very difficult to find babies to adopt in the United States - even for private adoptions. I have a brother-in-law who has adopted 2 children, both toddlers because it was nearly impossible to find a baby to adopt. A woman he works with was literally giving him the third degree when she heard about his adoption because she has been trying to find a baby to adopt for years - she practically accused him of bribing someone to get ahead if her because she thought he was lying when he told her he was adopting a 3 year old child. I also have a close friend who has adopted 4 kids - he makes SIZE and even he said it's very difficult to find babies for adoption in the US. Another close friend of considerable means tried for over a year and finally found a pregnant mother on the other side of the country through an ad they placed with a service. And I have a coworker who has literally spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to find a baby through private adoption for over 2 years - she and her husband produced a 20 page hardcover book about themselves that they mail out to agencies and mothers looking for couples to adopt their babies. That's 5 people who all attest to the difficulty of adopting babies in the US - 3 of them easily .5%ers that use private adoption agencies.

Your little anecdote says nothing about the process before finding a child - just that it takes >6 months to complete the process once it's started. Frankly, I'm shocked that someone can complete an adoption that quickly. I think my brother-in-law's first adoption took close to a year with the foster program, children's services visits, etc, etc. Although they were adopting a neglected kid from an unfit mother so that probably adds some time to the process.

Last edited:
goddamn government making it hard to just go out and get a baby whenever the fuck you want. 6 months to assume complete parental, legal, financial, and social rights and responsibilities of an infant human being? are you fucking kidding me?

You make it sound like I was bitching about the process. I was not, just stating the facts.

That's one of the reasons people went out of the US, because a baby was hardly a baby by the time the adoption went through. Is the process necessary? Absolutely. Is it a reason people often look outside the US to get a quickie baby? sure is.

I'm not offering my thumbs up or down on the whole thing either way.

Back