Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winged cornhole board

Weren't you bashing LS&A majors for being incompetent, do-nothing, liberal arts types? Sounds like you don't really have much to show for your scientific/engineering background.

at least not like my boy Red here, who can build impressive and aesthetically pleasing things with his bare hands.

You ought to see the computers that I build for people and theatre systems that I install, though. I have my uses.

BTW - never said "incompetent" or "do nothing" (look at you - you parlayed yours into a Law Degree). I just intimated that L. S. & Play degrees might be worth a bit less on the open market -that is all. :*)

Last edited:
You can do a quick search and step by step instructions will come up. I think there is a Cornhole association that has a website, and if i have time ill find it for you. I admire Red for putting in the time to do the winged design. I was lazy and just bought decals and clear coated them.

Couldn't find it.

If you go to any Lowes the sell 1/2" 2'x4' plywood sheets. Then all you have to do is by the 8 foot 2x4's and cut them to length. I think if I remember right you will need 3. Go to this website.http://http://www.cornholehowto.com/build-them-boards/dimensions/ and follow the dimensions for the hole. You can get fancy and buy a 6" hole hole saw, or just use a jig saw. I recommend that you build the legs so they fold up, this is the hardest part. You will have to measure, to make sure the legs don't rub the board. Also make sure the top of the board is 12" off the ground and level.

Its really easy and shouldn't become more than a few hours building the boards. The paint job will take as long as you want it. Also don't over think it and by the 3/4" plywood. I tried this because I didn't want the bounce. Tournaments frown on this because the boards don't bounce, and it takes away from the game. Also they are heavy as hell.

Last edited:
Hey Red, you wouldn't have step by step instructions would you? That board is awesome.

The reason I ask is my projects that I take on, that should be about a weekend worth of work turn into major operations, several months of gnashing teeth, and a boatload of trips to Home Depot.

I should post sometime the fiasco that changing my oil, head lamps and brake pads turned out to be (two entire weekends - youch!). Made me realize $25 for an oil change really isn't that bad. :*)

I have family that loves playing this game, and since Northwestern and Chicago was home for a number of years for them, their's have a Cubbies theme on them. I think this would be a great answer.

Anyway if your willing to share, I would appreciate it.

These instructions are pretty close to how I did it.

http://www.cornholehowto.com/build-them-boards/dimensions/

I used 1/2 in carriage bolts instead of 3/8 and a better board for the top face. Home depot actually has boards that are already 2'x4', but I can't find a link. I think it was called a "handy panel" like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Com...202088924/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

but it was 3/4" thick.

For paint, I did use a primer (another ~$10 I forgot to mention). Then I painted the whole thing maize, taped off pretty much the whole board, traced stencils I made of the parts I wanted to keep maize, cut away the appropriate tape, painted it blue, then removed the tape and put on a few coats of clear coat.

To make the stencils, I cut shapes out of paper and traced them on painter's tape to visualize them. I only did one side of the wing/top surface curve and I drew a line down the middle of the board to line up the edge of the stencil on, flip over, then do the other side. To get the curved lines, I taped 3 or 4 sheets of paper together, tied a string to a pencil and had my wife hold the string so I could draw the arc. The radius was somewhere between 6-8, but I didn't measure exactly how much it was. To get the stripe, I traced the arc on painters tape, moved it over 3" and traced it again. I marked points on the stencil where the arc intersected the back edge of the board and the other curve and measured how far these intersections were from the sides of the board so I could put the curve in the same spot on both boards. I know I'm not so great at writing instructions, but maybe I'll come back and try to explain better if people are interested and if it's not clear enough. Right now I'm supposed to be booking hotels for a wedding. I need to pack and bottle beer before we leave tomorrow.

Maybe I 'll take some pictures from straight on that you could blow up and print out to use as a starting point.

at least not like my boy Red here, who can build impressive and aesthetically pleasing things with his bare hands.

My wife saw this and just asked if I mentioned how much she helped. She did. A lot. Especially with fixing all the little spots where paint bled through under the painters tape.

Regarding 1/2" vs 3/4"...1/2 is regulation and lighter and cheaper. Also, this design yields a front edge that's a little higher than regulation.

BUT...the first time I brought these things to a party, kids were jumping up and down on them. I imagine the thicker board might have helped it hold up to that.

Also, I did not precut the 2x4s like that set of instructions calls for. I cut them as I assembled it and held each 2x4 up in the place it was going and marked the length it needed to be. I did the long sides first, attached them to the top board and then cut the ends.

You ought to see the computers that I build for people and theatre systems that I install, though. I have my uses.
I'm sure you do a solid job, however, I'll withhold judgment until I see the computers and theatre systems RED can build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you do a solid job, however, I'll withhold judgment until I see the computers and theatre systems RED can build.

Better watch out. I'll throw down the gauntlet. I've placed an order for a Raspberry Pi! Fear my 700MHz single core!

Better watch out. I'll throw down the gauntlet. I've placed an order for a Raspberry Pi! Fear my 700MHz single core!

Hope you ordered the Type B. The graphics capabilities for either A or B are amazing. Still feel it is slightly underpowered, but considering their constraints, they did an admirable job. Open source sets it up for particular group of users, but it is techno-geeks wet dream :*)

SD's for it will be the main way of extending the firmware (no on-board firmware aka BIOS) so there is a lot of room for later expansion.

I'd be interested to see if they end up adding Wifi natively. Those USB dongles have come a long way, but are still a bottleneck in my humble opinion.

Can't beat the size and capabilities for the price. What are you going to control with it/use it for?

These instructions are pretty close to how I did it.

http://www.cornholehowto.com/build-them-boards/dimensions/

I used 1/2 in carriage bolts instead of 3/8 and a better board for the top face. Home depot actually has boards that are already 2'x4', but I can't find a link. I think it was called a "handy panel" like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Com...202088924/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

but it was 3/4" thick.

For paint, I did use a primer (another ~$10 I forgot to mention). Then I painted the whole thing maize, taped off pretty much the whole board, traced stencils I made of the parts I wanted to keep maize, cut away the appropriate tape, painted it blue, then removed the tape and put on a few coats of clear coat.

To make the stencils, I cut shapes out of paper and traced them on painter's tape to visualize them. I only did one side of the wing/top surface curve and I drew a line down the middle of the board to line up the edge of the stencil on, flip over, then do the other side. To get the curved lines, I taped 3 or 4 sheets of paper together, tied a string to a pencil and had my wife hold the string so I could draw the arc. The radius was somewhere between 6-8, but I didn't measure exactly how much it was. To get the stripe, I traced the arc on painters tape, moved it over 3" and traced it again. I marked points on the stencil where the arc intersected the back edge of the board and the other curve and measured how far these intersections were from the sides of the board so I could put the curve in the same spot on both boards. I know I'm not so great at writing instructions, but maybe I'll come back and try to explain better if people are interested and if it's not clear enough. Right now I'm supposed to be booking hotels for a wedding. I need to pack and bottle beer before we leave tomorrow.

Thanks Red, it actually looks doable. The hardest part will be the artwork. :*)

Hope you ordered the Type B. The graphics capabilities for either A or B are amazing. Still feel it is slightly underpowered, but considering their constraints, they did an admirable job. Open source sets it up for particular group of users, but it is techno-geeks wet dream :*)

SD's for it will be the main way of extending the firmware (no on-board firmware aka BIOS) so there is a lot of room for later expansion.

I'd be interested to see if they end up adding Wifi natively. Those USB dongles have come a long way, but are still a bottleneck in my humble opinion.

Can't beat the size and capabilities for the price. What are you going to control with it/use it for?

you might know your stuff, but can you put a Michigan helmet logo - in regulation colors - on the side of it like Red can?

It's a B. I have about 9 more weeks 'til it ships, but I have reached the point where I've paid for it. The 1st thing I'm going to do with it is follow someone's instructions to turn it into a XBMC media center. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I thought that for the cost, I might as well start playing with this stuff.

you might know your stuff, but can you put a Michigan helmet logo - in regulation colors - on the side of it like Red can?

One of the enclosures I've considered for the thing is a lego design by an 8 year old girl.

One of the enclosures I've considered for the thing is a lego design by an 8 year old girl.

Eventually they will ship with a case. If you believe them it will be pretty slick.

Their stated goal is education, but I have seen media center as the primary reason for many.

You good at linux? I can program with the languages designed for it, but that seems too much like work to me. :*)

I suspect when they actually decide to also provide a path to support the Android OS (probably just another SD that you plug in), it gets pretty interesting. They are just looking for someone to convert it, and when they do it, the doors fly open to the masses.

SD = solid state drive.

Last edited:

I'm guessing no I can't. But he has his talented wife helping him, so how do you know it is his talent we are actually talking about?

Back