Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wings to move to the South East Division early Dec

tbone413

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie More and more NHL governors convinced DET will be moving to SE Div in Eastern Conference when realignment done in early December.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie If DET goes to SE (East), it's plausible and possible WPG could take DET's place in Central Div (West). Realignment would be done.

---------------------------------

Hmm interesting...if this happens we will be in the same division as Stevie Y. I dont know how I feel about that..

It would sure be easier on the team during the playoffs...no more of those west coast trips in the first two rounds. That really wears out a team

I don't really like the move to the Southeast. I suppose overall travel will be better in the conference as whole, but still the only intradivision rival that would be remotely close is the Caps. I'd rather go Northeast and be back in the same division as Toronto....

elrod said:
I don't really like the move to the Southeast. I suppose overall travel will be better in the conference as whole, but still the only intradivision rival that would be remotely close is the Caps. I'd rather go Northeast and be back in the same division as Toronto....

I think most wings fans would agree that the North East is the preferred division for Detroit to join...but there is an opening in the South East division right now w/ Atlanta moving to Winnipeg.

No, no I'm with you and I get it. It just seems that travel only slightly gets better. Almost like the concession they're offering is just as good of an option in my opinion.

elrod said:
No, no I'm with you and I get it. It just seems that travel only slightly gets better. Almost like the concession they're offering is just as good of an option in my opinion.

At least the games starting at 10pm will be few and far between. I don't mind them during the long regular season, but it's such a drag when the route to the Cup goes something like Phoenix-Anaheim-San Jose. That sucks.

JimRice said:
elrod said:

At least the games starting at 10pm will be few and far between. I don't mind them during the long regular season, but it's such a drag when the route to the Cup goes something like Phoenix-Anaheim-San Jose. That sucks.

That's actually a great point that I didn't think about...I am always tired at work the next day come playoff time. Especially if the games go into OT. I'm in favor of the move overall, but I'd miss the Blackhawks and Blues...

I don't mind so much. Get to see other teams a bit more maybe. Btw, since I haven't followed this much - December? Changing in middle of season?

A few things:

First of all, it appears that the realignment decision will be made in December, however it would not go into effect until next season.

That being said a new realignment plan is gaining steam which would be a significant change from the current system. As recent as last month it was seen as a pipe dream, but recently some sources think the chances of it being implemented are as high as 50/50.

Basically this new plan will divide the League into 4 divisons, two east and two west.

East 1 division: Philadelphia, Washington, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida.

East 2 division: Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit or Columbus

West 1 division: Detroit or Columbus, Winnipeg, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Minnesota.

West 2 division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, Colorado.

Each team would play a home and home with teams outside of their division, the rest of the 82 games would be played against teams within the division.

There would be 4 division winners plus 6 wild card spots per conference for a total of 16 teams in the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs would be strictly between divisional opponents, and the winner of each division would then play each other for the Western and Eastern conference championship.

This system isn't perfect, the most obvious flaw being it gets rid of some very strong rivalries (Pitt would only play Philly twice a year for example) but then again no system is perfect and this is the best one ive seen so far.

It will be interesting to see what is decided in December, thats for sure!

I'm fine with losing division rivalries you can make new ones. I always thought NHL had too many damn playoff teams. And i know no sports Entity is going to distract from the playoff totals, but 16 teams is rediculous. More than half.

So you're saying East 1 could have the top 4 teams and they'd be playing each other first? That's whack.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]So you're saying East 1 could have the top 4 teams and they'd be playing each other first? That's whack.

Yea im not a big fan of that proposed playoff system either..

I like those new alignments especially if Detroit is in East 2. Even West 1 isn't terrible maintaining rivalries with Chicago and Saint Louis.

Back