Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Storm Jonas

elrod817

Who else is getting popped by it? We're under a blizzard warning and are expecting 16-24 inches. No real snow yet, so the fun is yet to begin. Luckily I have an assortment of fantastic beer in the fridge to get me through....

Check that...snowing now and doing so rapidly...

Nope, were supposed to get a little snow tonight and tomorrow, but it's listed as "light".

I have several friends who have been crybabying all winter long about the lack of snow or when we get any how it only lasts for a few days. Meanwhile they just sit and stare at their snowmobiles and whine about how gas prices are super low and they cant ride.

Sister is in Richmond and they've been hit hard already. She said mix of rain and sleet is included. Expected power outages, especially tomorrow when winds are supposed to kick up.

Brooklyn isn't getting anything yet, but forecasts include storm surges compounded by full moon which is concerning as they are saying it wont be as bs as Sandy, but still pretty moderate to major coastal flooding is expected. They also just upped forecast from 9-12" to 12-18".

I can handle the snow...but I am nervous about potential basement getting water from coastal flooding. That would honestly be a huge problem for many, especially this time of year as most have their boiler heaters in their basement like we do. Sandy was cold enough in early November...not having heat now would burst all our pipes. I cannot begin to envision the costs from even half the flooding. Thankfully FEMA will help! Right? No??? Oh, well in that case i am pretty much fucked. Sure I have pumps to try and pump the water out...but I am not sure if the hoses will freeze up as they have over 50 feet to get it from basement, past my patio and out to where it won't come back to the house. I know the running water wouldn't freeze up, but the pumps will be intermittent when they suck out the standing water low enough to shut off the pump...which in past was frequent. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person with that issue.

Hopefully it will not be as bad as they forecast and its just media over-hype...but I thought that with Sandy so I am more concerned than I would have been if Sandy never happened.

We have had a total of 5 inches in metro Boston for the season. Last year pretty much started out the same then snow hit the fan late January and all of February which broke records for any months total of snow all time.

We are expected to get no more than a few inches of the white stuff where I am. Plenty of food and cigars. Let it rip.

Nothing in the dirty jerz just yet. Spent a good chunk of the day prepping for the storm - I took down the tire swing, stored the deck furniture for winter cleared the driveway of any anything that can mess up my snow blower, cleared out space in the garage for one of the cars and made a Costco run for food and ice melting pellets. So now that I've put in the effort, we probably won't get any snow which would be just fine with me.

So as of 2:30pm, any non-emergency drivers on road are subject to being arrested in NYC and Long Island. This is a good thing, IMO. However, the city has on their website that all meters are in effect. So....i'm not allowed to move my car, but I do need to feed the meter??? How does that work? And what about the spots with 2 hr time limit???

Thankfully I'm not impacted, just wanted to share another government WTF moment.

So as of 2:30pm, any non-emergency drivers on road are subject to being arrested in NYC and Long Island. This is a good thing, IMO. However, the city has on their website that all meters are in effect. So....i'm not allowed to move my car, but I do need to feed the meter??? How does that work? And what about the spots with 2 hr time limit???

Thankfully I'm not impacted, just wanted to share another government WTF moment.

Aren't non-emergency people supposed to have gone home?

People should park their cars where they normally park them when they're at home.

I doubt anybody parks in metered parking when they're at home.

57 and sunny here; no wind. only good thing about having to live in Texas...

I kinda miss having to hunker down in extreme weather. maybe we'll get a hurricane this year? maybe I should be careful what I wish for?

last year around this time, we got hit with the Super Bowl Sunday blizzard. I think it was the 4th or 5th highest snowfall in Chicago history. It was still hard to find street parking weeks later. Goddamn that was a nightmare.

Aren't non-emergency people supposed to have gone home?

People should park their cars where they normally park them when they're at home.

I doubt anybody parks in metered parking when they're at home.

They most certainly do use metered spots when home because meters stop at 7pm. Many apartments especially have metered spots in front of them that residents use, or are on commercial streets.

There just isn't enough parking available in NYC, so many have to use the metered spots in their off hours.

Nothing in the dirty jerz just yet. Spent a good chunk of the day prepping for the storm - I took down the tire swing, stored the deck furniture for winter cleared the driveway of any anything that can mess up my snow blower, cleared out space in the garage for one of the cars and made a Costco run for food and ice melting pellets. So now that I've put in the effort, we probably won't get any snow which would be just fine with me.

I bet this was you. this has to have been you.

Well...I got about three feet. Pretty good size snowstorm for south central Pennsylvania. Of course, this is my last week living downtown before I move so it's going to be a shit show for parking (and moving should be interesting too). My little girl and I had a good time though...sledding and snow forts. I shoveled both my neighbor's sidewalks and the little one even put forth a good effort there for a four year old.

We lucked out here in Boston, wasn't more than 6 inches of snow.

The Cape got hit worse with a foot or bit more, being 60 plus miles away from me.

The lines of where it was an inch or two to the half foot plus was no more than 12 to 14 miles, where I live to where I'm going later today.

My sister lives in Thurmont, MD. just a few miles from Camp David.

Guess they got just over 20", which isn't so bad considering they were expecting to get +36"

26.8" in NYC....just shy of 26.9" record from 2006

Shoveled out myself and several neighbors for past 5 hrs. Almost done with lunch, back at it for several more hours im sure.

Nice big pot of chili awaits me when done! :)

Back