Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wisconsin vs Nebraska canceled because of COVID

wheels002

Wisconsin says they have had 6 staff and 6 players tested positive in the past few days.

OR they just don't want to play without their starting QB and then lose

so cancel it and it goes down as a no contest...

Paul Chryst confirms he has tested positive. So depending on back up tests Michigan could be playing Wisconsin in 2 weeks without their HC and starting their 4th string QB

Teams are going to use this stuff as an excuse, but really everyone is in the same boat, and managing player health is part of the challenge of coaching and playing this season, like blocking and tackling.

It's a little unfortunate for UW, since COVID-19 cases were already spiking there worse than just about every other Big Ten state, so they probably had more risk than most other schools. still... that's reason for more caution, not less.

Paul Chryst confirms he has tested positive. So depending on back up tests Michigan could be playing Wisconsin in 2 weeks without their HC and starting their 4th string QB

they'll probably just cancel that, too.

OR they just don't want to play without their starting QB and then lose

so cancel it and it goes down as a no contest...

Looks like this exactly. Deace says they have a full 100+ roster, so with 6 players testing positive the B1G policies have not been triggered (5% positive). Start watching at 12:15 for the story. (But prior to that is good, too. They discuss if Sparty is likely to go 0-9.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twAHcwmRkxc

I'm not saying they are lying, but they could definitely lie and say they have enough cases to shut it down. It's not like they are required to tell who has it. That would probably be some sort of violation.

Wish the big ten had started earlier and given teams at least 1 Bye week just in case the needed to reschedule a game.

If they are canceling games, then they should be made ineligible to win the B1G. Let the 2nd and 3rd stringers play. They are on the team, they practice, let them play.

Last edited:
I heard something this morning about how Illinois has had several positive cases now after testing clean all week. They are supposed to play Purdue this week. I say let Purdue and Nebraska play this week and require Wisconsin to forfeit their game this weekend. It's a shame that the conference didn't start the season 1 week earlier and leave the week before the championship open for make-up games.

I heard something this morning about how Illinois has had several positive cases now after testing clean all week. They are supposed to play Purdue this week. I say let Purdue and Nebraska play this week and require Wisconsin to forfeit their game this weekend. It's a shame that the conference didn't start the season 1 week earlier and leave the week before the championship open for make-up games.

With the way cases are going in the Midwest, it probably won't matter anyway.

Sure, why not?

The season should?ve started at the end of September, as was scheduled.

But did the powers that be listen to Tinsel?

Noooooooo.....they were just like.....sooooooo smaaaaaaart.....

Sure, why not?

The season should?ve started at the end of September, as was scheduled.

But did the powers that be listen to Tinsel?

Noooooooo.....they were just like.....sooooooo smaaaaaaart.....

They're getting exactly the result they had hoped for. They can tell the teams and fans "We tried" while also being able to say "I told you so." I support making Tinsel the COVID advisor for the B1G.

They're getting exactly the result they had hoped for. They can tell the teams and fans "We tried" while also being able to say "I told you so." I support making Tinsel the COVID advisor for the B1G.

I don't think they wanted this to fail.

I mean, whether it was a good idea to play or not, I guess depends if you like coronavirus being spread around, and hope the pandemic never ends.

But I think once the league committed to playing again, they didn't want it to result in a bad outcome, cancelled games, sick players and coaches, etc.

I mean, whether it was a good idea to play or not, I guess depends if you like coronavirus being spread around, and hope the pandemic never ends.

But I think once the league committed to playing again, they didn't want it to result in a bad outcome, cancelled games, sick players and coaches, etc.

I suppose you are correct that they didn't want it to fail, just don't think they will be terribly upset if they call it off.

As far as whether or not it's a good idea to play, that's subjective. Given the protocols that are in place by the B1G in particular it's perfectly reasonable to give these kids the option to play. I think everyone can agree that protecting the health of the student athletes is the number one priority, but it's football and the risks of the sport itself are as bad or worse than the risk from the virus.

Justin Fields' father said it best. He's better off with the team where he's being tested daily and has access to the best treatment than he is to be on the street without access to those benefits. The downside is that when you have 1 person get it you are pretty much guaranteed to have multiple cases.

It don?t matter if ya like it or not.

Virus gonna virus.

Fortunately for people that age in that physical condition it?s pretty much the chickenpox.

For any more commentary of this nature, catch up with me on my corona insanity thread on the politics board.

So Nebraska had a non conference team that agreed to play them tomorrow (UT Chattanooga) and the big ten said no. Dan Patrick is saying that both OSU and Michigan wanted them to be able to play because they realize it could be them later this season and they don't want to be screwed out of the CFP because they don't have enough games.

No indication that either school actually lobbied the league to allow the game but it makes sense. Could you imagine the fallout if the committee comes out and says no to an 8-0 OSU team because they didn't play enough games? Especially if the opponent that cancels is Rutgers or Maryland?

I mean, I'd lmao but it's a real possibility this year.

All the B1G teams should be socially isolated from the rest of the population. And it should be enforced by people with guns. Time to get serious about this.

Back