Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wowstill can't beleive we signed Prince Fielder

Yup....Get a starting pitcher and a leadoff guy and we are going to win three titles in a row... As we stand if we stay healthy we are going to be in the mix but the AL is stacked..

Yeah, and all we have to do is keep our toes and fingers crossed and hope that we might still feel much that way about Prince, in ~a half-dozen years from now. There would not be much more that I would really enjoy better, than to watch all of the "ink-stained wretch" sportswriters, whom I have read over the past week spent bashing the Tigers brass and publicly posting and tweeting while criticizing this one move, who would then get an entire nestful of raw crow to eat...

:)

Just like we have felt about the quite successful outcome of the Miggy trade during the past four years thus far...D-Trainwreck notwithstanding.

;)

Turok said:
Yeah, and all we have to do is keep our toes and fingers crossed and hope that we might still feel much that way about Prince, in ~a half-dozen years from now. There would not be much more that I would really enjoy better, than to watch all of the "ink-stained wretch" sportswriters, whom I have read over the past week spent bashing the Tigers brass and publicly posting and tweeting while criticizing this one move, who would then get an entire nestful of raw crow to eat...

Just like we have felt about the quite successful outcome of the Miggy trade during the past four years thus far...D-Trainwreck notwithstanding.

;)

Who cares what the Detroit media says? Its their job to bash it. Fuck 'em. We know what we're getting.....

tonyballs said:
Turok said:

;)

Who cares what the Detroit media says? Its their job to bash it. Fuck 'em. We know what we're getting.....

I meant nationally, not locally, most local sportwriters outside of a few aren't doing that, b/c they know damned well that Ilitch did this as a "gift" for himself, the ballclub and the Tigers fans, and did so despite the huge hit to his pocketbook, and the very real possibility that Fielder might not be able to perform @ a high level or live up to the entire length of his 9 year contract.

All these writers, announcers, saber stat guys, news online and paper all have their own agendas. Some say it's a great signing, some say it isn't, some are talking about the back end of the contract, some about the infield defense with Miguel over to third, etc. They all have their own reasons, as fans of another team, some of them are going to down play it, but if it was their fave team it would be the best signing of the off season, my opinion. and other reasons for it not the best move.
Let's face it, time machine from past players to now, if it was say Kaline, some would say he doesn't hit enough homeruns, or Mantle, he gets injured, or the booze. Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one. These guys though are the ones we read, as well as all the bloggers.
All these guys are going to have their opinions, and are to varying degrees right or embellishing the possible negative to an extreme.
All we want are good numbers, healthy players, and of course having a World Series Championship while all are going into their prime years.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]All these writers, announcers, saber stat guys, news online and paper all have their own agendas. Some say it's a great signing, some say it isn't, some are talking about the back end of the contract, some about the infield defense with Miguel over to third, etc. They all have their own reasons, as fans of another team, some of them are going to down play it, but if it was their fave team it would be the best signing of the off season, my opinion. and other reasons for it not the best move.
Let's face it, time machine from past players to now, if it was say Kaline, some would say he doesn't hit enough homeruns, or Mantle, he gets injured, or the booze. Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one. These guys though are the ones we read, as well as all the bloggers.
All these guys are going to have their opinions, and are to varying degrees right or embellishing the possible negative to an extreme.
All we want are good numbers, healthy players, and of course having a World Series Championship while all are going into their prime years.

Its the few who I noticed had blogged or written SEVERAL pieces on the Fielder signing, all negative,too.I mentioned one of them on another thread, but the others I didn't bother to bookmark their blogs or posts.

I can understand making ONE (or maybe another a few months later during the start of the season) article or blog post of objective criticism about Prince, the Tigers brass and their ballclub, but when they repeatedly go off the damned deep end trying to gather readers' support in making it appear like it ALREADY is the worst FA signing in all of MLB history, even long before Prince has played in one single stinking game, much less a whole season yet, yeah that kinda pissed me the fuck off...heh!!

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]All these writers, announcers, saber stat guys, news online and paper all have their own agendas. Some say it's a great signing, some say it isn't, some are talking about the back end of the contract, some about the infield defense with Miguel over to third, etc. They all have their own reasons, as fans of another team, some of them are going to down play it, but if it was their fave team it would be the best signing of the off season, my opinion. and other reasons for it not the best move.

Its the few who I noticed had blogged or written SEVERAL pieces on the Fielder signing, all negative,too.I mentioned one of them on another thread, but the others I didn't bother to bookmark their blogs or posts.

I can understand making ONE (or maybe another a few months later during the start of the season) article or blog post of objective criticism about Prince, the Tigers brass and their ballclub, but when they repeatedly go off the damned deep end trying to gather readers' support in making it appear like it ALREADY is the worst FA signing in all of MLB history, even long before Prince has played in one single stinking game, much less a whole season yet, yeah that kinda pissed me the fuck off...heh!!

yeah pretty much how I feel...Look at drew sharp and mitch albom. Then henning on both sides of the fence with several stories.
Of course the national guys, some very negative, and a few had better thoughts, that it would be a good signing for a few/several years, and then due to age, weight, production could drop off and the contract wouldn't be good the last 3/4 years.

Yet some of these 'national' ones were the same who had glowing praise for say Teixeira when he signed with new york, and of course adrian gonzalez even though his shoulder was messed up, still saying he would hit 40 plus homers.
Even mlbnetwork on XM radio have some that are spot on and others I say how did they get a gig here or as a GM.
I kind of take certain national writers with a grain of salt, same with a couple of Tigers beat writers. Most of the Tigers bloggers and a few in particular have more knowledge of them than a couple of the Detroit media. I think you and several others here can discern the crap guys from the quality ones.
If or should I say when Fielder puts up his usual good numbers will be spinning positives about him and years from now those same will also knock him as he ages,
and every error Miguel makes or grounder that Cabrera doesn't get to, all of them will be knocking him, and honestly a few here. This manuever isn't going to go perfectly, but overall when taking the worst runs lost defensively metric and putting the Batting Runs over replacement against it, Cabrera will still be ok for the amount of time he is at 3rd base.

i like to pretend that albom, sharp and rob parker dont exist. theyre beyond awful.

Spockmaster said:
i like to pretend that albom, sharp and rob parker dont exist. theyre beyond awful.

They all suck. Not sure which ones worse. Rank wise, maybe Sharp followed by Albom and then Parker.

Back