Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

WWII Memorial Shutdown

zyxt9

With the government shutdown, US Parks are shutting down too. Somehow this managed to include "open air" monuments, including the WWII Memorial in DC.

The problem came to a head when Honor Flight and other charities brought WWII Vets to the Memorial. For those unaware, Honor Flight is a charity that pays to fly WWII Vets to DC and takes them to see the monument that was built for them. This memorial does not have any type of gated off aspects, but nonetheless it was gated off by the Parks department. My guess is that since they are not being funded to clean up any garbage or whatnot, they decided to gate it off.

Apparently several members of congress, both R and D, Senate and House, came out to open the gates and let the Vets in...then proceeded to use the opportunity to take verbal shots at each other for why the problem happened in the first place.

Glad to know they were able to at least agree that the Vets, many of whom will only have this one opportunity to visit the memorial, should not be denied their visit. Some very small levels of morals and civility apparently still exist in Congress.

very anecdotal story that will draw some emotion because it involves veterans. Congressmen have to do this kind of stuff to avoid more bad PR.

in reality, there are two issues at stake here for GOP, the defunding of obamacare and raising the debt ceiling. these two issues are separate from each other but the republicans decided that they could combine them to extort the president.

if they want to defund or postpone obamacare, that's fine, try to pass a bill to do that. don't attach it to a necessary funding bill and then blow the whole thing up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

The Washington Monument syndrome, also known as the Mount Rushmore Syndrome,[1] or the firemen first principle,[2][3] is a political tactic used in the United States by government agencies when faced with budget cuts or a government shutdown. The tactic entails cutting the most visible or appreciated service provided by the government, from popular services such as national parks and libraries[1] to valued public employees such as teachers and firefighters.[2] This is done to gain support for tax increases that the public would otherwise be against. The name derives from the National Park Service's alleged habit of saying that any cuts would lead to an immediate closure of the wildly popular Washington Monument.

Although the strategy usually intends to highlight the government's value to voters, it can also be aimed at lawmakers themselves. Faced with budget cuts in the 1970s, Amtrak announced plans to cease train routes in the home districts of several members of Congress.[2]

The term was first used after George Hartzog, the seventh director of the National Park Service, closed popular national parks such as the Washington Monument and Grand Canyon National Park for two days a week in 1969. In response to complaints, Congress fired Hartzog and restored the funding.[4]

Like McCain said, any bill that takes away Obamacare will be vetoed by Obama, so really the whole thing is moot.

I'm not a fan of obamacare nor raising the debt ceiling yet again under obama, but I don't see how this helps anyone. Let the Ds run amock and show theyre fiscal ineptitude to win house, senate, and presidency next time and repeal all the Ds laws and policies that are bankrupting the nation. Of course the Rs will just spend, spend, spend as well...so in the end it will continue to be the same problem cuz all of the politicians suck.

This nation is no longer going to hell, it is now in hell...only no one with ability to actually fix the underlaying problems cares to do so due to kickbacks or agendas that are against trying to get out of hell.

And for the atheists, please note the lowercase "h" in my use of hell. For the orthodox Rs, that also means Obama is not the Devil. Too many Ds and Rs for the past 40+ years have shown zero concern about being fiscally responsible. And don't give me BS about Clinton Bancing the budget when in reality they still exceeded the amount coming in. True balancing would result in paying down the debt, not increasing it nor maintaining it at same amount.

It really isn't that hard to do, downsize the government to a level that provides surplus income from taxes. Too many jobs are at stake to do that now though, and that is my biggest problem with obamacare, it will just add to the over-employment by the government.

A KKK rally that was schedueled in Gettysburg was cancelled too.

Last edited:
In Cali, it's threatening to close the beaches and the Parks ....

In sports, it's cancelling the AFA vs Navy game ....

In places like DC and Boston, it's a loss of tourist dollars and revenue ....

But in the end, it's really a bunch of petulant egomaniacs pointing fingers at one another and continuing to take a paycheck while doing nothing.

I really hate to see the Govt. down but it was such a bad law. I never though they'd go this far though..not sure how I feel about it.

Here's the problem...

If Republicans can hold this government shutdown over our heads because they don't like Obamacare (which has already become law), how soon will it be before Democrats start doing this as well? Or Republicans realize they can do this anytime they want to get what they want?

Example...Another school shooting/mass shooting happens during the next republican presidency. Dems control the house and senate. They refuse to pass a single bill or continue to raise the debt ceiling for this president until buying a gun involves a background check, mental health check, family history research, and brain scan? Or, how about if Republicans decide they want abortion outlawed completely?

Whether you like Obamacare or not, you should be rooting for it to not be modified, delayed, or abolished. If the president gives in, this will be bad for the whole country. You think our politicians suck now? Wait until the dems give in to this obamacare battle. Both sides will become completely worthless.

Here's the problem...

If Republicans can hold this government shutdown over our heads because they don't like Obamacare (which has already become law), how soon will it be before Democrats start doing this as well? Or Republicans realize they can do this anytime they want to get what they want?

Example...Another school shooting/mass shooting happens during the next republican presidency. Dems control the house and senate. They refuse to pass a single bill or continue to raise the debt ceiling for this president until buying a gun involves a background check, mental health check, family history research, and brain scan? Or, how about if Republicans decide they want abortion outlawed completely?

Whether you like Obamacare or not, you should be rooting for it to not be modified, delayed, or abolished. If the president gives in, this will be bad for the whole country. You think our politicians suck now? Wait until the dems give in to this obamacare battle. Both sides will become completely worthless.

So I should be rooting for Obama Care?

First off, as far as demo. start doing the same, we've had shut downs before and it never got that far..so I wouldn't worry about that.

I want the Govt. back but no way I'm rooting for Obama Care. I've already crunched the numbers, I'm screwed.

I really hate to see the Govt. down but it was such a bad law. I never though they'd go this far though..not sure how I feel about it.

If the republicans want to repeal or defund obamacare, they should introduce a bill that does that. If you don't have the votes, you have to win enough seats in the Senate and win the white house so you can put your agenda through. Thats the democratic process.

By tying healtcare to funding the government you're putting our democracy in jeopardy.

Elections matter, romney lost by 5m votes but the house republicans are trying to push his agenda through

If the republicans want to repeal or defund obamacare, they should introduce a bill that does that. If you don't have the votes, you have to win enough seats in the Senate and win the white house so you can put your agenda through. Thats the democratic process.

By tying healtcare to funding the government you're putting our democracy in jeopardy.

Elections matter, romney lost by 5m votes but the house republicans are trying to push his agenda through

Not sure what this has to do with what I said but whatever..like I said I don't like that the GOVT. shutdown.

Here's the problem...

This has been the case for decades!

This has been the case for decades!

Not really true, a lot of these developments are recent since the tea party started calling the shots. We've never had this many fillibusters and we used to respect the democratic process. You used to need the votes to repeal laws, now we hold a gun to the head of the economy to see if the president will negotiate due tp pressure

So I should be rooting for Obama Care?

First off, as far as demo. start doing the same, we've had shut downs before and it never got that far..so I wouldn't worry about that.

I want the Govt. back but no way I'm rooting for Obama Care. I've already crunched the numbers, I'm screwed.

Funding the government has nothing to do with obamacare, they are separate issues. The republicans are trying to tie these two together and that's why we are where we are.

Democracy is at stake here.

Funding the government has nothing to do with obamacare, they are separate issues. The republicans are trying to tie these two together and that's why we are where we are.

Democracy is at stake here.

The republicans are trying to tie these two together because they know that we can't afford Obamacare.

The republicans are trying to tie these two together because they know that we can't afford Obamacare.

Its the law, if they oppose it, get the votes to repeal it. If you don't have the votes, win the next election.

This entire fiasco is why I stay out of politics and either don't vote or vote independent. Both parties are acting worse than children. How many times have we been told since birth to respect others and their opinions and views, and to work together and try putting your differences aside? Dems and Repubs both should be completely embarrassed, especially the Tea Partiers, who to me are the total scum of America.

This entire fiasco is why I stay out of politics and either don't vote or vote independent. Both parties are acting worse than children. How many times have we been told since birth to respect others and their opinions and views, and to work together and try putting your differences aside? Dems and Repubs both should be completely embarrassed, especially the Tea Partiers, who to me are the total scum of America.

Vote in primaries. Go ahead and skip the big ones, but right now, we need people sick of polarization to vote in primaries.

If the affordable care act was so bad the republicans should just let it go through and then maybe it will bury the democrats in the next election or better yet like sbee said try and push a bill through and get the votes... Fact is in the long run the ACT will be a great program that will save lives and save money...The republicans fear this bill because it will work. The hate of a the conservatives towards Obama is darn right shameful. The republicans lost the election buy a lot and they act like they have won which is beyond idiotic... I am hoping that is may be the downfall of the republican party.. They are so out of touch it is not even funny...

Last edited:
If the affordable care act was so bad the republicans should just let it go through and then maybe it will bury the democrats in the next election or better yet like sbee said try and push a bill through and get the votes... Fact is in the long run the ACT will be a great program that will save lives and save money...The republicans fear this bill because it will work. The hate of a the conservatives towards Obama is darn right shameful. The republicans lost the election buy a lot and they act like they have won which is beyond idiotic... I am hoping that is may be the downfall of the republican party.. They are so out of touch it is not even funny...

I agree, they're proceeding as if they won.

The crazy thing is that this shutdown will make them more popular in their districts, not less. Gerrymandering has killed the political process, democrats got more votes than republicans in the house but they have a big disadvantage as far as seats.

Back