Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Yoenis Cespedes - Cuban CF

Btw, how do you get a Kemp upside. I was thinking a AJ upside and an Inge downside.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]It's not like he's 5-35 against ML pitching. He going against a bunch of players who also haven't proven themselves. So yeah, he should be better than 5-35.

But if he's a star player who starts off like that in ST against college and minor league players it's alright?

His brief stint in the winter league had no effect whatsoever on his value.

Why should we look at those numbers over what he did in the WBC?

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]It's not like he's 5-35 against ML pitching. He going against a bunch of players who also haven't proven themselves. So yeah, he should be better than 5-35.

But if he's a star player who starts off like that in ST against college and minor league players it's alright?

Well yeah, lol. Do I care if Miguel is 5-35 in ST? Of course not, you know he'll put up big numbers. This guy might be the AL Dunn.

WBC? Who the fk are they? Lol.

Probably world baseball classic..Just my way of saying not all the good players play in the wbc.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Probably world baseball classic..Just my way of saying not all the good players play in the wbc.

Yeah that's it...my bad, kinda smoked out from cigar night...brain foggy
cool.png

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:

Well yeah, lol. Do I care if Miguel is 5-35 in ST? Of course not, you know he'll put up big numbers. This guy might be the AL Dunn.

WBC? Who the fk are they? Lol.

Right, so if a player like Cabrera is capable of having a 5-35 slump, then of course a lesser player could do it, especially in what is basically ST.

So yeah, his performance there means nothing, and it's silly to attach any meaning to it.

If the Tigers scouts think he'll be a successful MLer, I'd trust them over those meaningless ABs, especially with such a small sample.

It means Miguel could go 0-50 in ST and put up huge numbers during the regular season. But this Cuban doesn't have a track record in the show. How do you not understand this? Are you telling me if Casselanos comes up and goes 5-35 you wouldn't find that a tad off? Tells me they're not ready..

No, because ST stats tell you nothing about if a player is ready or not.

If someone hits .400 it doesn't mean they're ready, and if somebody hits .200 it doesn't mean they're not ready.

The fact that a star player can hit .200 and have it not matter proves that point, and it applies to every single player, proven or unproven.

Marlins officials met with Yoenis Cespedes in Miami today, showing him around the city and providing him with a tour of their new park, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes.
Cespedes is currently blocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, though MLB has declared him a free agent.

mjsb2 said:
No, because ST stats tell you nothing about if a player is ready or not.

If someone hits .400 it doesn't mean they're ready, and if somebody hits .200 it doesn't mean they're not ready.

The fact that a star player can hit .200 and have it not matter proves that point, and it applies to every single player, proven or unproven.

Then why bring a rookie up over another because of ST? Why not just pick a guy and bam, he's on the roster. We always see guys are don't make a team because of a bad ST or one who does based on a good ST. None of it matters?

I'm not suggesting someone who stinks in ST can't possibly have a good season. But it does matter when two guys are fighting for a roster spot.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Btw, how do you get a Kemp upside. I was thinking a AJ upside and an Inge downside.

Based on what I have been reading this guy could be great.....Kemp. The Downside is AJ....a good defensive outfileder that can't hit. I don't think he will ever be a has been 3B that thinks he is still (even though he never was) an allstar!

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Btw, how do you get a Kemp upside. I was thinking a AJ upside and an Inge downside.

Based on what I have been reading this guy could be great.....Kemp. The Downside is AJ....a good defensive outfileder that can't hit. I don't think he will ever be a has been 3B that thinks he is still (even though he never was) an allstar!

Inge was an all-star.

The dudes 32 if he's a day. Book it. In 5 years time we'll be discussing the 37 year old Cuban. And he changed his name from Ralph Machio to Yoenis Cespedes.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]The dudes 32 if he's a day. Book it. In 5 years time we'll be discussing the 37 year old Cuban. And he changed his name from Ralph Machio to Yoenis Cespedes.
Ive said it like 3 or 4 times, Cubans if they lie about their age say they are OLDER than they really are. That way they can get on the Cuban team earlier so they can defect earlier. So if hes lying about his age, he'll be YOUNGER than 26. Not older.

Mitch, why do you keep up this nonsense. There is no reason for a Cuban to lie about their age, this isn't 17 yr. old Dominican Republic kids.

Because its fun or am I not allowed to have fun. Same reason I make fun of the Packers. Go to the doctor, I think they removed your funny bone. Bada bada boom..

mjsb2 said:
tomdalton22 said:

Inge was an all-star.

I forgot the contract year!

Back