Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Yoenis Cespedes - Cuban CF

Now when your 26 you won't. Low reward. Or maybe high reward, fk up the franchise risk.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Now when your 26 you won't. Low reward. Or maybe high reward, fk up the franchise risk.

The reward is high.

Reward is based 100% on potential, all the other factors you list affect only the risk involved.

And an 8 year deal at 10 million per year (he own't get that) would in no way fuck up the franchise.

Maybe not and I have no idea how good or bad this guy is but Mike I. is not George Steinbrenner. 6-8 mill will effect some, even if it means one less FA. And then you'd have to force to play him with the money he'd be making.

Does anyone know how the new CBA will impact the signing of foreign players? I read somewhere that there are now going to be rigid spending limits on signing draft picks and international players.

If that rule effects internationals than I would think it would effect him.

i read that cespedes and japanese players would be exempt, but i cannot remember why lol

You might be right but i wonder why it'd be different for a Japanese player over a Dominion? Seems unfair.

From this mornings detnews story by lynn henning;

The Tigers will also continue to observe Yoenis Cespedes, the Cuban outfielder and anointed superstar who defected from the Cuban National Team last summer and is expected to clear protocol and become a free agent as early as December.

Cespedes has been on the Tigers' international watch for years.

David Chadd, the Tigers vice president and director of amateur scouting, was among scouts who attended a Cespedes workout this month in the Dominican Republic, where Cespedes has been confined as his visa clearance is gained.

"Combination of power and speed," Chadd said Sunday, repeating the standard scouting report on Cespedes, who is viewed as having a glove, arm, and likely batting average that would also be elite. "A five-tool player."

Bidding for Cespedes is expected to be monumental. Thus far, anyway, the Tigers are in.

Upon further research I have discovered that the CBA has established spending limits for internationjal players but those limits will not take effect until July 2012.

per Danny Knobler on twitter:

"Tigers are interested enough in Cespedes that Dave Dombrowski is going to the Dominican to see him. Very unusual for DD."

I'm still on the fence with this one.

From what I've read he could be a 30-30 player, and nobody is doubting his power/speed at all.

It comes down to how often he will make contact really, and it is risky to invest that much but if he is just a .270 hitter with a solid obp and 25 HRs with 30 steals and good OF defense he will be underpaid considerably.

It all comes down to how much money Illitch is willing to spend this offseason.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]From this mornings detnews story by lynn henning;

The Tigers will also continue to observe Yoenis Cespedes, the Cuban outfielder and anointed superstar who defected from the Cuban National Team last summer and is expected to clear protocol and become a free agent as early as December.

Cespedes has been on the Tigers' international watch for years.

David Chadd, the Tigers vice president and director of amateur scouting, was among scouts who attended a Cespedes workout this month in the Dominican Republic, where Cespedes has been confined as his visa clearance is gained.

"Combination of power and speed," Chadd said Sunday, repeating the standard scouting report on Cespedes, who is viewed as having a glove, arm, and likely batting average that would also be elite. "A five-tool player."

Bidding for Cespedes is expected to be monumental. Thus far, anyway, the Tigers are in.
Henning says the Tigers are no strangers to out-bidding teams for big time players and mentions Pudge and Maggs. As I recall, both players basically were passed over by most every team and signed up w/Detroit as a last resort. I could be wrong. The last top FA I can remember them out-bidding every team was Darrell Evans. Maybe there's been more since.

Thats it I am all in on this guy....I am off the fence lets get him at all costs

If they get the guy, I'll be happy as hell, regardless of the cost.

But if they get outbid, that's alright with me too.

Whatever happens I'll be fine with it.

mjsb2 said:
If they get the guy, I'll be happy as hell, regardless of the cost.

But if they get outbid, that's alright with me too.

Whatever happens I'll be fine with it.

I'm happy for you :)

Back