Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

you be the scorekeeper

It's the fielder's ordinary effort I'm talking about.

I butchered that sentence. What was un-ordinary about his efforts though? He got blooper and threw to home?

Nonetheless, good conversation.

I butchered that sentence. What was un-ordinary about his efforts though? He got blooper and threw to home?

Nonetheless, good conversation.

He had no shot at retiring the batter-runner at first base is what I'm attempting to communicate.

He had no shot at retiring the batter-runner at first base is what I'm attempting to communicate.

So is it the tripping part? Lets say I was at 3rd, and I'm slow as molasses. I wouldn't need to trip and I'd still get thrown out.

another weird call, is when a batter hits a runner, and the runner is declared out, yet the batter gets credited with a hit.... it makes no sense

another weird call, is when a batter hits a runner, and the runner is declared out, yet the batter gets credited with a hit.... it makes no sense

How about when it hits the umpire? I think there is a separate rule where if the umpire is hit, if he was behind the runner everyone is safe and if in front of runner he's out or some bullshit like that.

I'm sure I got that totally wrong but it's some weird ass rule.

Here it is:

Rule 5.09(f) Comment: If a fair ball touches an umpire working in the infield after it has bounded past, or over, the pitcher, it is a dead ball. If a batted ball is deflected by a fielder in fair territory and hits a runner or an umpire while still in flight and then is caught by an infielder it shall not be a catch, but the ball shall remain in play."

If the ball hits the umpire first, the ball is dead. If a defensive player touches the ball and then the ball hits the umpire, the ball is live.

I knew I screwed that up.

Last edited:
The rule is more specific. Ball is dead if it hits an umpire and has not yet passed an infielder. That's significant because on an infield pulled in, that rule is void if the umpire is positioned normally, which he would be.

Back