Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

they wont beat new england, but i would trade down from #10 and get another 2nd and 3rd. especially if Manziell is there at 10 and a QB needy team is just below us

Didn't you want to draft the guy with no girlfriend top 5 last year?

Darqueze Dennard might be there at 11 or 12. Not sure I want to doom one of my Spartans to a career with the Lions, but he certainly has played like a lockdown corner.

Darqueze Dennard might be there at 11 or 12. Not sure I want to doom one of my Spartans to a career with the Lions, but he certainly has played like a lockdown corner.

First rounder, for sure, but I want to see what he runs at the combine. I am a little leery that he might be slower than we expect. In terms of shutdown CBs, Dennard doesn't have the size of Sherman, so he'll probably need elite athletic ability like Peterson and Revis.

I would like Watkins if he's still around (possible with all the QB-needy teams ahead of us). Since we probably can't drop Stafford with the money we owe him, having another double team drawing WR might help him be at least passable.

First rounder, for sure, but I want to see what he runs at the combine. I am a little leery that he might be slower than we expect. In terms of shutdown CBs, Dennard doesn't have the size of Sherman, so he'll probably need elite athletic ability like Peterson and Revis.

I would like Watkins if he's still around (possible with all the QB-needy teams ahead of us). Since we probably can't drop Stafford with the money we owe him, having another double team drawing WR might help him be at least passable.

Watkins is an absolute game breaker. Dennard is not and will need a couple years. If we didn't follow Michigan teams he wouldn't even be in the conversation at 10.

Watkins is an absolute game breaker. Dennard is not and will need a couple years. If we didn't follow Michigan teams he wouldn't even be in the conversation at 10.

I don't know about absolute game-breaker for Watkins, but I've only been able to see him play 3 times so far. I tend to agree about Dennard, but I think that just as much to do with MSU visibility all year. Early in the year the top CBs were Roby from OSU and the kid from Oregon. Now Gilbert is top corner and Dennard is a first round lock. Senior Bowl could easily make him a top 10 pick, as I think he's getting docked for playing the B1G right now.

I don't know about absolute game-breaker for Watkins, but I've only been able to see him play 3 times so far. I tend to agree about Dennard, but I think that just as much to do with MSU visibility all year. Early in the year the top CBs were Roby from OSU and the kid from Oregon. Now Gilbert is top corner and Dennard is a first round lock. Senior Bowl could easily make him a top 10 pick, as I think he's getting docked for playing the B1G right now.

Watkins is a better version of Corderelle Patterson

Watkins is a better version of Corderelle Patterson

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. Patterson had a huge play against an already packed-in Lions team today, but for the year he didn't exactly set the world on fire as the third option on a run heavy team. Do you think Watkins could come in and do what Julio Jones and AJ Green did as rookies?

Last edited:
Unless Buffalo makes an amazing comeback, looks like the Lions will get the #10 pick.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. Patterson had a huge play against an already packed-in Lions team today, but for the year he didn't exactly set the world on fire as the third option on a run heavy team. Do you think Watkins could come in and do what Julio Jones and AJ Green did as rookies?

I don't even know if we have a qb that can get Watkins the ball anymore.....

we just watched our qb throw for 43 yards in a half and get sacked a half dozen times....

Im holding off on who I want until I know who our coach is. But just saying....if we end up with a 3/4 defense Khalil mack and Nix III might jump to the top of my lists.

Love Watkins but if we go another direction there is going to be quality guys at the top of round 2 for WR:

#2s on the outside: Jordan Mathews and Kelvin Benjamin could slide, Donte Moncrief, Brandon Coleman is a 6'5 monster, Devante Parker

"slots": Brandin Cooks, Odell bekham Jr, Paul Richardson

Unless Buffalo makes an amazing comeback, looks like the Lions will get the #10 pick.

10 is a great spot to be. cheap to move up....great value to move down....perfect spot to grab your guy out of the remaining "blue chip" group. Cant go wrong at 10....

10 is a great spot to be. cheap to move up....great value to move down....perfect spot to grab your guy out of the remaining "blue chip" group. Cant go wrong at 10....

You remember we drafted Mike Williams at 10.

I think that blows your "Can't go wrong at 10" out of the water.

That would be his ceiling. He's a different player than those guys. He's a put it in his hands and watch him beat 3 guys to the house. Julio's first year would be a good predictor. We need to win now CJ Bush getting older. Big contracts from restructures. He makes us win now. Hands down best receiver in the draft and since Green.

You remember we drafted Mike Williams at 10.

I think that blows your "Can't go wrong at 10" out of the water.

2003-2013 #10 picks - Looks 50/50 to me.

2013 Chance Warmack OG
2012 Stephon Gilmore CB
2011 Blaine Gabbert QB
2010 Tyson Alualu DT
2009 Michael Crabtree WR
2008 Jerod Mayo LB
2007 Amobi Okoye DT
2006 Matt Leinart QB
2005 Mike Williams WR
2004 Dunta Robinson CB
2003 Terrell Suggs OLB

That would be his ceiling. He's a different player than those guys. He's a put it in his hands and watch him beat 3 guys to the house. Julio's first year would be a good predictor. We need to win now CJ Bush getting older. Big contracts from restructures. He makes us win now. Hands down best receiver in the draft and since Green.

Reminds me alot of his former teammate, Hopkins. Similar size, speed, atleticism, and hair, lol

Reminds me alot of his former teammate, Hopkins. Similar size, speed, atleticism, and hair, lol

I like him better, at bit more of a game breaker but they are definitely comparable. Not that I dislike Hopkins.

Almost final draft order (for non-playoff teams)

1. Houston (2-14, .559 SoS)
2. St. Louis via Washington (3-13, .516 SoS)
3. Jacksonville (4-12, .504 SoS)
4. Cleveland (4-12, .516 SoS)
5. Oakland (4-12, .524 SoS)
6. Atlanta (4-12, .553 SoS)
7. Tampa Bay (4-12, .573 SoS)
8. Minnesota (5-10-1, .512 SoS)
9. Buffalo (6-10, .520 SoS)
10. Detroit (7-9, 457 SoS)
11. Tennessee (7-9, .504 SoS)
12. NY Giants (7-9, .520 SoS)
13. St. Louis (7-9, .553 SoS)
14. Chicago (8-8, .465 SoS)
15. Pittsburgh (8-8, .469 SoS)
16. Baltimore (8-8, .484 SoS)
17. NY Jets (8-8, .488 SoS)
18. Miami (8-8, .523 SoS)

20. Arizona (10-6, .529 SoS)

Dallas (8-7, .473 SoS)
Philadelphia (9-6, .452 SoS)

If Philadelphia loses, they'll pick 19
If Dallas loses, they'll probably pick 16

The Dallas-Philadelphia game will effect the SoS of Washington, NY Giants, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis, and each other

Among tied teams
NY Giants SoS will go down
Tampa Bay SoS will go up with a Philadelphia win, down with a Philadelphia loss
Oakland SoS will go down
Chicago SoS will go up
Detroit SoS will go up
St. Louis SoS will go up with a Dallas win, down with a Dallas loss
Dallas SoS will go up with a loss

Back