Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus grace period

Sbee

how long until everyone jumps on him for being the wrong man for the job? not having big league experience? not knowing how to manage a bullpen?

i'd have to say that those things will come out the first time they lose back to back games.

Monday, March 31st, 2014

If not then, it'll be whenever they lose their first game

I also think there's an outside chance of criticism in mid-March for a decision he makes during a spring training game

When do you think the first "Fire Ausmus!!!" post will appear?

Mid April at the latest

part of me says it will be that long but you never know, we could get swept in a split squad game in early March and people will be calling into the radio questioning his decisions

Did we jump on Leyland year one..? I don't remember. Imo, anyone who makes what we consider a dumb move deserves to get jumped on. He's the big guy, part of the job.

I could see a six-way fan split for the Tigers this season in regards to the manager

1. The fans that absolutely loved Leyland that don't think Ausmus will live up to the job (very small group, but here and there you'll hear them crying "we want Leyland back")

2. The fans who hate the manager, whoever that may be at the time (decent-sized chunk of the fanbase, easily identifiable as they'll credit the players for anything positive and blame the manager for anything negative, many could fall in category 4 & 5)

3. The fans who love the manager, whoever that may be at the time (very small group, if they exist, basically the opposite of category 2)

4. The fans who don't like Ausmus because they wanted somebody else (small group, usually the pipe dream-types who thought the Tigers could've easily gotten LaRussa or Maddon)

5. The fans who get drunk, go to games, and have minimal knowledge of both the game of baseball and the Tiger's roster (sadly a larger portion of the fanbase, usually live in the moment and blame the manager immediately, but they generally won't care as it's all a party. These are the type of fans that judge players based on batting average, fielding percentage, and wins)

6. The normal Tiger fans (smallish group, knowledge of the game ranges from limited to extensive, they may pin the blame on the manager once in a while, but they also realize the manager doesn't have much impact on the game, it's more about the players on the field)

Last edited:
how long until everyone jumps on him for being the wrong man for the job? not having big league experience? not knowing how to manage a bullpen?

i'd have to say that those things will come out the first time they lose back to back games.

on this board...before the first regular season game!

Did we jump on Leyland year one..? I don't remember. Imo, anyone who makes what we consider a dumb move deserves to get jumped on. He's the big guy, part of the job.

Plenty of people on this board hated Leyland and wanted him fired from day one, and could never explain why he should be fired, other than they hated him.

It will be interesting to see how some of them react now that they got their wish (Leyland being gone), to however it plays out.

Personally I have always said a managers effect on winning and losing is minimal, but the effect on the clubhouse is the biggest impact. So that alone will determine for me if, and when, Ausmus needs to be on the hook.

It should also be noted Ausmus is not going in to a rebuilding/low expectation situation like Francona had in Cleveland. He's getting a Matheny type situation where a top team is expecting to stay at the top. Very little room for error or adjustment.

It will be interesting, I'm sure we will score fewer runs but maybe the Leyland critics will love the small ball approach.

I would like to think I'm in Grandys group 6. I complain every now and again, but I'm far down the list when It comes to faulting the manager. Probably because I stay far away from the game threads. They can be brutal.

Why would anyone blame Ausmus if the Tigers struggle to start the season? Unless he was involved or consulted prior to DD's moves this offseason, he should get a season's honeymoon from fan flack, IMO.

If the players that he signed or traded for fail miserably, and especially who he stocked on the BP/bench, then Dombrowski should be held accountable, not Ausmus.

I expect Ausmus to be more aggressive than Leyland. I liked Jimmy for '06 and the first part of '07.. after that, I believe he got a little soft. He always claimed not to be a 'rah-rah' kind of guy, but that's exactly how he was before '08. He lit a fire under that '06 team, when they began to coast, knowing their expectations weren't high to begin with. This team needs a guy who has a lot of energy, because we don't have a whole lot of energy guys on the field. Adding Davis and Kinsler will help speed on the basepaths, and may allow us to move Jackson down to 7-9 in the order, which would allow us to run a little more with him too. IDK how it will pan out, but I'll give him atleast a full season, because he'll struggle at times. It depends on how well he adjusts.

I have no expectations I think the window for this team closed last year.

It seems that almost every year the team that is "supposed" to win doesn't and a team out of nowhere gets hot / lucky in the post season and wins the WS. This year, I am hoping that team is the Tigers!

I think your window is open if you make the playoffs, then you get the one in 4 lottery ticket to make the WS and it's a toss up then. good teams separate themselves over 162 games but over 5 or 7, the margin is so slim that one break, bounce, good performance, slump, etc will make all of the difference.

Last year was painful, we can point to the bullpen, rondon being hurt, prince, whatever but not having a healthy cabby was a death sentence for that team.

I think it will happen in the first month as well. However, I think he is going to be as good if not better at game managing than Leyland but probably will fall short a little with the pitching staff. Hopefully, Jones will be the buffer in that respect.

Everything I have read indicates he is very intelligent and has a great baseball mind. Time will tell.

Having Visquel on the staff is going to pay dividends big time. He could probably manage right now. If you think about it, we have 3 MLB ready managers on this staff so the team should be prepared every series.

Back