Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus grace period

Like a couple of you said, resting the starters wouldn't be so bad where we complained about it some more or some less, except for the bench players leaving something to be desired as replacements.

good point, who are our middle inf. backups?

we dont have anyone that can competently fill in at SS (lobotomy is not a SS)

I stand corrected. Pittsburgh actually allowed him to play 1 inning last year and even in the minors. He has a career 1.000 FPCT at SS. GREAT!

Smokes butchered G2 of the ALCS like he was Jurgis Rudkus. It was a spectacle that still rankles.

Let's just keep kicking the dead carcass once called a horse.

Some horses don't die quickly. It cost the Tigers a pennant. Four months ago, not in 1967. Opportunities like that are rare enough without the manager personally squandering them. I doubt Ausmus goes all Barney Fife in that situation. I only hope he's faced with it.

So I will.

Last edited:
Some horses don't die quickly. It cost the Tigers a pennant. Four months ago, not in 1967. Opportunities like that are rare enough without the manager personally squandering them. I doubt Ausmus goes all Barney Fife in that situation. I only hope he's faced with it.

So I will.

So if we had won that game we would have been guaranteed to win the pennant?

Forget that even aside from that fact we had almost no offense at all, what cost us the pennant was 1 pitching decision.

Such a narrow-minded point of view, using the butterfly effect like that.

Forget that even aside from that fact we had almost no offense at all, what cost us the pennant was 1 pitching decision.

More middle ground though more close to losing pennant than the other..I bet the team who goes up 2 games to nothing is a huge favorite to advance. Never can guarantee but 2-0 is a pretty big.

More middle ground though more close to losing pennant than the other..I bet the team who goes up 2 games to nothing is a huge favorite to advance. Never can guarantee but 2-0 is a pretty big.

Well technically we were not even guaranteed to win that game, had Leyland not made the pitching decisions he did. Maybe Ortiz does not hit a game winning GS, but until there are 6 outs in the 9th in Boston, the game goes on.

It's funny nobody blames Verlander for the HR to Napoli, costing us the first home game, most think we lost it in game 2 even though we went 6 games.

The fact we outhit the Red Sox 50 to 39, yet they outscored us 19 to 18 tells a lot more about why we lost than the whiny conclusions about game 2.

Well technically we were not even guaranteed to win that game, had Leyland not made the pitching decisions he did. Maybe Ortiz does not hit a game winning GS, but until there are 6 outs in the 9th in Boston, the game goes on.

It's funny nobody blames Verlander for the HR to Napoli, costing us the first home game, most think we lost it in game 2 even though we went 6 games.

The fact we outhit the Red Sox 50 to 39, yet they outscored us 19 to 18 tells a lot more about why we lost than the whiny conclusions about game 2.

I blame them all. They all had some sort of blame in that series..

Teams that are up 2-0 have won the WS 80% of the time. 11 of 13 teams that went up 2-0 on the road won the WS. That's 84%. It's not a Butterfly effect, it's a track record.

But, hey, Smokes said it should have been 1-1 anyway, so what's my problem anyway? The next time the Tigers go up 2-0 in an ALCS I'll rest easy.

Teams that are up 2-0 have won the WS 80% of the time. 11 of 13 teams that went up 2-0 on the road won the WS. That's 84%. It's not a Butterfly effect, it's a track record.

But, hey, Smokes said it should have been 1-1 anyway, so what's my problem anyway? The next time the Tigers go up 2-0 in an ALCS I'll rest easy.

We weren't playing in the WS, we were playing in the ALCS.

And those statistics mean nothing when you have a team that can get a bunch of hits but can't score runs. Even up 2-0 I could see us losing that series the way our offense performed.

Back