Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus grace period

Aside from the top of the rotation and the BP situation, it's such a different team make-up... less power, less OBP, more speed, better defense, minor ? at the 5th starter...

It will be nearly impossible for me to tell whether Ausmus deserves any credit or blame for how this team plays. They could be really good, but it could also be real ugly. I'll just try to limit my criticism unless he is consistently starting Raja Davis against righties :)

Last edited:
Aside from the top of the rotation and the BP situation, it's such a different team make-up... less power, less OBP, more speed, better defense, minor ? at the 5th starter...

It will be nearly impossible for me to tell whether Ausmus deserves any credit or blame for how this team plays. They could be really good, but it could also be real ugly. I'll just try to limit my criticism unless he is consistently starting Raja Davis against righties :)

right, different team. when tram took over, they swapped verlander/rogers/zumaya/jones for Johnson/Maroth/spurling/urbina, also a hurt maggs/guillen vs healthy maggs/guillen.

ausmus will manage differently and be judged for it but the personnel changes are a lot more important than the managerial change

Some of the personnel changes are a result of having Ausmus. Just like the Tigers went out and traded a good prospect of Mike Rivera for Gene Kingsale after Trammell was hired to manage. Trammell wanted him based on his time as a coach with the Padres.

Some of the personnel changes are a result of having Ausmus. Just like the Tigers went out and traded a good prospect of Mike Rivera for Gene Kingsale after Trammell was hired to manage. Trammell wanted him based on his time as a coach with the Padres.

I'm curious who those are?

I'm curious who those are?

Likewise, so who are they?

Are they the players obtained from the Fielder/Fister trades?

Or was it the signing(s) of FA Davis, Chamberlain, Nathan?

Can't see Ausmus saying no or suggesting alternatives to any moves that DD made, especially since he doesn't have any prior coaching, scouting, or managerial experience in MLB or MiLB.

The reason why I ask is I'm not thrilled with anyone they added..maybe Nathan because he's been good but the rest don't give me wood. I just don't see Ausmus saying to DD "get me that guy"..

I'm giving Asmus until the 4th inning on opening day to make up my mind about him. We better look like champions by then and be up at least 9 runs or we may need to replace him by the 5th inning.

you're gonna see a lot less of those days off, that you use to see with Jimmie.
im not so sure, tbh:

Resting players, pitching changes, etc.: Leyland was big on giving players a break. He and Dombrowski agreed, mutually, that ?you can?t be afraid to lose a game.? It would be a surprise if Ausmus greatly differed here, but we?ll see how his particular philosophy plays out.

Reality: Comerica Park patrons who believe Ausmus will go with his best lineup every day are in for a crushing shock. He won?t. He?ll rest players because, as Leyland knew, if you grind these guys to dust during the season?s first four months, you?ll have a burned-out bunch in September and October.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140204/SPORTS0104/302040086

im not so sure, tbh:

Resting players, pitching changes, etc.: Leyland was big on giving players a break. He and Dombrowski agreed, mutually, that ?you can?t be afraid to lose a game.? It would be a surprise if Ausmus greatly differed here, but we?ll see how his particular philosophy plays out.

Reality: Comerica Park patrons who believe Ausmus will go with his best lineup every day are in for a crushing shock. He won?t. He?ll rest players because, as Leyland knew, if you grind these guys to dust during the season?s first four months, you?ll have a burned-out bunch in September and October.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140204/SPORTS0104/302040086

oh no doubt Ausmus will rest players, he'll do it at the right time thou.

possibly. i still think he'll rest players when we dont think he should, though likely not as much as leyland did.

I always thought at times guys would be rested after a huge game. Rest then when they're struggling. A dig a guy who wants to play every day but sometimes you just need a day off, ala Fielder.

possibly. i still think he'll rest players when we dont think he should, though likely not as much as leyland did.

Not rocket science as to when, usually day games after night games, getaway games before an off day so the starter gets back to nack off days. You also do this based on matchups, rest avila more vs lhp, maybe play kelly over hunter against a top rhp.

oh no doubt Ausmus will rest players, he'll do it at the right time thou.

Again, what leads you to believe this? We haven't seen Ausmus manage, so the assumption that he would do it "at the right time" has about as much chance as being fact as saying he'll do it at the wrong time.

None of us, including, and perhaps especially, you, have any idea how he will handle the off days.

Miggy rarely got rested, and Fielder never did, and Hunter not that much considering he's an antique. The guys who did that people complained about were Peralta, and Ajax. Now consider aside from Catcher, SS and CF are the 2 most physically demanding positions. I don't really think they were over-rested, we just liked to bitch when we saw that Don Kelly was the guy off the bench for Ajax, and Ramon for Jhonny.

I just never want to see Kelly on the field unless we're facing masterson, but thats just me lol

Miggy rarely got rested, and Fielder never did, and Hunter not that much considering he's an antique. The guys who did that people complained about were Peralta, and Ajax. Now consider aside from Catcher, SS and CF are the 2 most physically demanding positions. I don't really think they were over-rested, we just liked to bitch when we saw that Don Kelly was the guy off the bench for Ajax, and Ramon for Jhonny.

This is my biggest complaint the bench does not support the every day players. Yea pay the stars the sky but depend on AAA- players for relief. The balance of this team is way off!

Like a couple of you said, resting the starters wouldn't be so bad where we complained about it some more or some less, except for the bench players leaving something to be desired as replacements.

Back