Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Men's B Ball #3 in AP

johnny2x2x

MBB beats the #4 team on a neutral floor, and the football team beats #3 on the road. Good times.

If the committee isn't full of crap, we should be in the top 4 tomorrow night as we now have 3 top 20 wins, 2 of them on the road against top 12 teams. We've also got wins against 6 over .500 teams which the committee has said is a big deal. 8-3 Air Force is also helping us.

Personally, we should be #2, Alabama doesn't have a win vs a top 25 team after the rankings come out this week. Notre Dame's best win is against Navy.

MBB beats the #4 team on a neutral floor, and the football team beats #3 on the road. Good times.

If the committee isn't full of crap, we should be in the top 4 tomorrow night as we now have 3 top 20 wins, 2 of them on the road against top 12 teams. We've also got wins against 6 over .500 teams which the committee has said is a big deal. 8-3 Air Force is also helping us.

Personally, we should be #2, Alabama doesn't have a win vs a top 25 team after the rankings come out this week. Notre Dame's best win is against Navy.

No.

Just, no.

MSU is a good team with a great record. #2 is delusional. Alabama would bend us over right now. We've played well at times and had a pretty decent amount of luck on our side. If we drastically improve the next two games we may get in.

I'm not taking away anything from how hard we fought in these games and we've certainly taken advantage of mistakes.

Also, someone should send Harbaugh and Blake O'Neil thank you cards!😆

I expect us to be 6, maybe 5. I know we'll be top 4 if we win the next two, teams will lose and we could potentially add a top 5 win if we can get to the big ten title game.

win two and we're in

No.

Just, no.

MSU is a good team with a great record. #2 is delusional. Alabama would bend us over right now. We've played well at times and had a pretty decent amount of luck on our side. If we drastically improve the next two games we may get in.

I'm not taking away anything from how hard we fought in these games and we've certainly taken advantage of mistakes.

Also, someone should send Harbaugh and Blake O'Neil thank you cards!😆

We will be 3rd. The wins @ UM @ OSU and vs Oregon with Adams at QB are easily the best 3 wins of any team in the country.

We will be 3rd. The wins @ UM @ OSU and vs Oregon with Adams at QB are easily the best 3 wins of any team in the country.

there's a chance we could be #3 if we win the next two, i guarantee we won't be 3 tomorrow

Alabama would not handle MSU. Sorry. They can't throw the ball and that plays directly into MSUs hands. If/when MSU makes the playoff I hope they get to play Alabama or notre dame. I don't want to touch Clemson. Both notre dame and Alabama are overrated. How's that top 5 LSU win looking....ohhhhh....

Alabama would not handle MSU. Sorry. They can't throw the ball and that plays directly into MSUs hands. If/when MSU makes the playoff I hope they get to play Alabama or notre dame. I don't want to touch Clemson. Both notre dame and Alabama are overrated. How's that top 5 LSU win looking....ohhhhh....

Clemson barely beat ND at home.

Give me a healthy Cook and we'll play with anyone. Bama does not scare me, it would be a low scoring game if we played.

Clemson barely beat ND at home.

Give me a healthy Cook and we'll play with anyone. Bama does not scare me, it would be a low scoring game if we played.
As crazy as it is Bama doesn't scare me much either. There was such a big deal made out of fornette being stopped by them, we just held elliot to 32 who is just as good. Also, elliot just shredded Bama last year

I said the same thing about Bama in 2010. I couldn't have been more wrong. I think they're a great football team now (if we end up playing them this season, hopefully I'm just as wrong). I don't want to take anything away from what the team did on Saturday, particularly the lines on both sides of the ball, but the weather was a great equalizer. I don't think OSU is a great defensive team - Joey Bosa is the most overrated player in CFB in my opinion, but their offense looked pretty uninspired. We threw them around more than we did any other team all year and they're better (on paper) by a mile than anyone we've played.

It's still very possible that we could win out and get left out - we shouldn't but if 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us win out, beating Iowa may not be enough for the committee. It's also not a given that we'll beat Iowa. We should, but is there a team that's beaten us when they shouldn't lately more than Iowa has? Nebraska maybe? I expect to win that game, but I'm nervous about it.

Last edited:
Still a lot of football to be played, but I like our chances of getting in if we win out. Notre Dame-Stanford is the big game to watch in all of that. If ND wins it will be hard to keep them out, but I don't think they will. It also would not shock me if Clemson loses to North Carolina.

As for Bama, they may not throw the ball all that well this year, but they are punishing teams on both sides of the line of scrimmage as well as any of Saban's other teams. We don't necessarily match up that badly, but it would take a heck of an effort.

But I'm still worried about PSU quite frankly to say nothing of Iowa after that. Lesser teams than them have given us trouble this year and if Cook is still not close to 100% it might be difficult for the rest of the team to muster up the same kind of effort again.

I said the same thing about Bama in 2010. I couldn't have been more wrong. I think they're a great football team now (if we end up playing them this season, hopefully I'm just as wrong). I don't want to take anything away from what the team did on Saturday, particularly the lines on both sides of the ball, but the weather was a great equalizer. I don't think OSU is a great defensive team - Joey Bosa is the most overrated player in CFB in my opinion, but their offense looked pretty uninspired. We threw them around more than we did any other team all year and they're better (on paper) by a mile than anyone we've played.

It's still very possible that we could win out and get left out - we shouldn't but if 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us win out, beating Iowa may not be enough for the committee. It's also not a given that we'll beat Iowa. We should, but is there a team that's beaten us when they shouldn't lately more than Iowa has? Nebraska maybe? I expect to win that game, but I'm nervous about it.
I just don't see the bug ten champ getting left out unless iowa loses this weekend and wins next weekend or if it's it's a 2 loss michigan team.

I'm sure we end up 5 or 6 tonight, most likely needing to pass ND and or Oklahoma. Assuming those 2 win saturday we'd have the stage all to ourself saturday night. We'd have similar resumes up until then but we'd get a prime time game against a top 5 team at a neutral site while they sit at home.

Also, the thing that hurts us is a bad loss, but our wins are better than ND or Oklahoma. We would have beaten 3 highly ranked teams on the road and the oregon win is starting to look better. ND has are better loss, that's it , Oklahoma had a bad loss too.

ND isn't a real threat. Even if they stick in the top 4 through the regular season, they will get jumped after the championship games. Iowa we will have to beat anyway. Right now the playoff is set up like this.

1 Clemson
2 SEC championship game winner (Bama)
3 B1G championship game winner (MSU)
4 Big 12 champ.

With ND set to pounce if any the weird doomsday scenarios play out (Iowa as one loss champ, Bama losing to two loss Florida, Big 12 with 2 loss champ, UNC upsetting Clemson).

ND isn't a real threat. Even if they stick in the top 4 through the regular season, they will get jumped after the championship games. Iowa we will have to beat anyway. Right now the playoff is set up like this.

1 Clemson
2 SEC championship game winner (Bama)
3 B1G championship game winner (MSU)
4 Big 12 champ.

With ND set to pounce if any the weird doomsday scenarios play out (Iowa as one loss champ, Bama losing to two loss Florida, Big 12 with 2 loss champ, UNC upsetting Clemson).

Iowa beating Nebraska this weekend would be helpful

I just don't see the bug ten champ getting left out unless iowa loses this weekend and wins next weekend or if it's it's a 2 loss michigan team.

I'm sure we end up 5 or 6 tonight, most likely needing to pass ND and or Oklahoma. Assuming those 2 win saturday we'd have the stage all to ourself saturday night. We'd have similar resumes up until then but we'd get a prime time game against a top 5 team at a neutral site while they sit at home.

Also, the thing that hurts us is a bad loss, but our wins are better than ND or Oklahoma. We would have beaten 3 highly ranked teams on the road and the oregon win is starting to look better. ND has are better loss, that's it , Oklahoma had a bad loss too.

I don't disagree that we could get in even if Ok or ND win out. I just think it's far from a sure thing. We could win out and it could go either way. I would be disappointed but not horribly surprised. Everyone here remembers getting passed over for the Sugar Bowl by the committee because of michigan's tradition - they were willing to schedule easily the worst BCS bowl game of all time for what they thought would be better ratings.

Iowa beating Nebraska this weekend would be helpful

Auburn winning the Iron Bowl then bama winning the SEC champ game would be the most helpful followed by Florida winning the SEC champ game. I would feel much better about our chances in the playoff with Bama not making the cut. If we make the playoff the 3 teams I'd most like to see, in no particular order would be:

Clemson
ND
BU

We just jumped ND today, no way we don't get in if we win out.

I still think Notre Dame could make a jump if maybe they win impressively at Stanford, but again I don't think that will happen. They are too banged up.

We just jumped ND today, no way we don't get in if we win out.

I still think Notre Dame could make a jump if maybe they win impressively at Stanford, but again I don't think that will happen. They are too banged up.

have to admit, definitely didnt think we coukd jump anyone whondidnt lose without winning the B1G champ game. now i agree, win out and we are in. even if ND jumps us by beating Stanford, you have to think we'd jump right back over them if we beat an undefeated Iowa, while ND is idle. I don't see the committee wanted to look stupid with all that leap frogging back and forth so I don't see anyone passing us unless we lose.

Well Stanford pulled it out. Good effort by Notre Dame. Would have been a tough decision for the committee if both they and us were sitting there with 1 loss for the playoff. Pretty safe to say now win and we're in.

Back