Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2016 Lions better or worse

PFF predicts 4-12, tied for worst in the NFC. Seems a bit harsh to me.

15. Detroit Lions (4-12)

"On offense, the Lions lost most of their highly-graded players. While some might consider 2015 a down year for Calvin Johnson, he still graded in the top-10 for wide receivers, at 89.4. The Lions also let running back Joique Bell and offensive linemen Manuel Ramirez leave. Ramirez had the highest grade among the Lions? O-linemen in 2015. The defense should improve with the return of DeAndre Levy. His run-stop percentage of 14.1 led all 4-3 outside linebackers in 2014. They will miss retired cornerback Rashean Mathis, who only allowed seven touchdowns in his three years with the Lions. Detroit is a team that is now missing their star power, and they?ll hope new stars develop in their absence."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cardinals-own-top-spot-in-first-nfc-projections-of-2016/
They have earned it. They should be able to get 7 wins. Their defense should be improved with Levy, Robinson, and Walker. Apparently Van Noy is healthy but will see if it translates. I see issues with OLine with a rookie starting at tackle and would be surprised if he plays on the left. If he does, doesn't say much for Reiff. RB core is still suspect and of course no CJ. Ebron still drops too many easy passes. Wonder which Stafford will show up? This team really doesn't look all that great if you look at it carefully and objectively. I can see 4 wins but I think the depth has improved, along with the defense so I tend to think 7 wins is about right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PFF predicts 4-12, tied for worst in the NFC. Seems a bit harsh to me.

15. Detroit Lions (4-12)

"On offense, the Lions lost most of their highly-graded players. While some might consider 2015 a down year for Calvin Johnson, he still graded in the top-10 for wide receivers, at 89.4. The Lions also let running back Joique Bell and offensive linemen Manuel Ramirez leave. Ramirez had the highest grade among the Lions? O-linemen in 2015. The defense should improve with the return of DeAndre Levy. His run-stop percentage of 14.1 led all 4-3 outside linebackers in 2014. They will miss retired cornerback Rashean Mathis, who only allowed seven touchdowns in his three years with the Lions. Detroit is a team that is now missing their star power, and they?ll hope new stars develop in their absence."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cardinals-own-top-spot-in-first-nfc-projections-of-2016/

If they are going to try and argue that the Lions will finish 4-12, okay whatever...its not out of the realm of possibility (even though its highly unlikely).

However, the rationale behind their breakdown is a bit odd...they act like losing Bell (who is still a FA and had a measly 3.5 ypa last year) and Ramirez (who was replaced in the starting lineup by scrubs) will be the death to this offense. Losing Megatron sucks, no doubt, but I think this team is Improved by not bringing back Bell or Ramirez, and finding cheaper/younger/better replacements for them.

PFF is usually pretty good in my book, but between this article and them leaving Ziggy out of their 'top 101' players list, I am beginning to question their credibility.

Much improved. Both lines and depth. Plenty of weapons

Hard to make a good assessment at this time. Haven't seen any of these new guys on the field at all yet. I do like the direction they went in addressing depth across both lines. Is that enough to really make them a playoff team? That will depend on what type of year Stafford has without CJ, and how they hold up on the injury front.

I agree 4-12 seems very pessimistic. That record would have landed them a top 5 overall pick in the draft this year. Are they really a bottom 5 team in the league?

Hard to make a good assessment at this time. Haven't seen any of these new guys on the field at all yet. I do like the direction they went in addressing depth across both lines. Is that enough to really make them a playoff team? That will depend on what type of year Stafford has without CJ, and how they hold up on the injury front.

I agree 4-12 seems very pessimistic. That record would have landed them a top 5 overall pick in the draft this year. Are they really a bottom 5 team in the league?

I certainly don't see a bottom 5 team. This team has talent and some potential. This season is such a crapshoot because there are so many unknowns.

How good will Levy be?
Which Stafford will we get?
How much will the line improve?
Can Abdullah hold on to the ball?
Injuries?
Is Nevin Lawson a legit CB? Diggs? Alex Carter?
Who plays the other S spot?
Does Ebron continue to grow?
Can Van Noy contribute?
Who will be the #3 WR?

There are so many ?'s and very few answers at this point!

They could win anywhere between 4-11 games!!!

I think the questions about Stafford are over, Cooter has done with him what shouldve been accomplished by year 3 or 4. The Lions inadequate coaching staff for a majority of his career are to blame, IMO. Give him a decent running game, which I am expecting, and the sky is still the limit for him. I have faith that his career is still ascending, and that we will see more consistency from here on out. I've been hard on this kid throughout the years, but am extremely confident that he's got this now.

I think the questions about Stafford are over, Cooter has done with him what shouldve been accomplished by year 3 or 4.

Lets see how Cooter and Matt do for a full season, against good competition. The first part of the season you can't blame Lombardi on Matt's 4TD 6INT during the tough 4 game stretch (Minny, Denver, Seattle, Arizona). Eventually we need to beat those really good teams or we'll just get to the playoffs now and then yet keep on losing our playoff game.

Last edited:
That was about the time opposing teams were saying they new what play we were running before the ball was snapped. Correct?

We dont play denver seattle kc or arizona type defenses

Minnesota twice and houston are only top10 defenses we face

The schedule in 2016 is eerily similar to second half of 2015. Packers twice, bears twice, eagles, rams,saints and some other struggling defenses. Giants and jags might be most improved

And lions have many weeks until they play min and hou

Last edited:
The schedule is a piece of cake. This is the year even without CJ!!!!

Its easier than 2015. No nfl schedule is cake though. Lions should beat many nfc east and afc south teams. But thry could lose any of those games too

Last edited:
The schedule is a piece of cake. This is the year even without CJ!!!!

On paper. But teams change so much from year to year. And besides it's about the playoffs and if I looked at who I think makes the playoffs who are the Lions beating? We would have to finish above either Minny or GB to even get there.. 3rd place won't cut.

I have been calling my shot since the schedule has been revealed. They should be
10 -6 at worse and won at least 1 playoff game if not more..This has to be the year !!!!!

I have been calling my shot since the schedule has been revealed. They should be
10 -6 at worse and won at least 1 playoff game if not more..This has to be the year !!!!!

How many times have you said that over the years, lol.

I hope your right.

Back