Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Head Coach Search Matt Patricia

Never know that. All I know is that whatever we watched this last few seasons with him hasn't worked. There's been some good, but they are in the same spot now than when he started. I just want this thing changed top to bottom.

Top 5 offense... hasn't worked? I'm watching the bills and jags game and they can't complete a 5 yard pass. Our offense is just fine.

Top 5 offense... hasn't worked? I'm watching the bills and jags game and they can't complete a 5 yard pass. Our offense is just fine.

We had a top offense with Scott Linehan in 2011.. It seemed people hated him here.

it's just never a great idea idea to constantly change your coordinators. I'm all for it if it meant we brought someone in that's better than cooter... but who is out there?

Mike mccoy is probably the best available. He got fired in San Diego for sucking... then fired in Denver for really sucking. He's better cooter?

Last edited:
it's just never a great idea idea to constantly change your coordinators. I'm all for it if it meant we brought someone in that's better than cooter... but who is out there?

Who knows.. I'd probably go with Dub's idea, keep him as a QB coach. Sometimes you make a change and hope you hit on the next one.

Is it? Whenever this team went up again a formidable defense, nothing happened.

Is it? Whenever this team went up again a formidable defense, nothing happened.

6 in passing offense, yards, but 7 in points (Though some teams directly below them didn't play the last game). But as a whole, adding in the running game, it's 13 I believe.

Last edited:
Cooter + a run game coordinator + a new O-line coach probably gives them the best chance at success on offense, anything new is going to be risky.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ating-to-become-bengals-defensive-coordinator

Austin reportedly negotiating with the Bengals for their DC position

I had thought if we got a defensive HC Austin would be gone and if we got an offensive HC Cooter would be gone. Makes sense. But I wonder if Cooter wouldn't want to go out there and get some interest in case the new HC goes in a different direction?

Personal opinion is I don't believe Cooter has done a good job. He's probably a better QB coach than a OC.

Personal opinion is I don't believe Cooter has done a good job. He's probably a better QB coach than a OC.

His failure to get the wrong game going concerns me greatly. Quinn invested heavily and there was zero improvement. And you won't convince me that Wagner and Lang were bad signings. They didn't just instantly turn to shit because they started wearing Honolulu Blue and Silver. All signs point to game plan an effective run game.

I've been on the fence about JBC, but it's difficult for me to pin the running game woes on him, there are just too many factors that are contributing to it. The big questions I'd have are:

- How many running plays were called by Cooter or changed at the line by Stafford? How well did they communicate? Obviously the blame should fall on the OC who should have full control of the offense and play design, but I don't think faults in decision-making are clear one way or the other.

- What was the talent level of the RBs?

- How costly were injuries to the O-line? Did they lack cohesion with the variety of units we saw across the season?

- Were there any issues with the blocking scheme itself? Will a new O-line coach help improve this area?

- Did the Lions have tough opponents vs the run? This I looked into today, and based purely on numbers this looks to be partially the case.

Using rushing D DVOA from Football Outsiders, the Lions ended up playing half the season against top 10 rushing Ds

- Arizona (1st)
- Cleveland (4th)
- Minnesota (5th) x2
- Carolina (6th)
- Green Bay (8th) x2
- Baltimore (9th)

They no doubt struggled in these games (except Cleveland), 187 carries for 579 yards (3.1 ypc). Without the Cleveland game, that number drops to about 2.8 ypc

Their other opponents were
- Chicago (14th) x2
- Pittsburgh (18th)
- Tampa Bay (19th)
- Atlanta (20th)
- New Orleans (23rd)
- Cincinnati (24th)
- NY Giants (25th)

In these games they managed 176 carries for 642 yards (3.6 ypc), which is still bad, but clearly better than their other games.

Oddly enough, they won their 6 worst ypc games

Week 9 (GB) - 1.9
Week 17 (GB) - 2.2
Week 11 (Chicago) - 2.7
Week 14 (TB) - 2.9
Week 1 (Arizona) - 3.0
Week 4 (Minnesota) - 3.1

2018 looks to be a bit better (but anything can happen in the off-season), 2017 ranks of new opponents:

NY Jets (11th)
Seattle (13th)
Miami (15th)
San Francisco (17th)
Dallas (21st)
LA Rams (22nd)
New England (30th)
Buffalo (31st)

I'm not trying to absolve the Lions of their terrible rushing performances, but opponent does matter to some degree. You don't get this bad because of one or two flaws, this was complete effort from everyone involved.

The table is set for them to improve, they can't possibly get much worse. There are several changes that can be made internally plus they'll have easier opponent rushing Ds. I don't expect a whole lot of improvement in one year, but I'll be shocked if they have a repeat performance in 2018.

I don't know where I was going with this, but here it is.

Last edited:
Opponets, injuries and oline coach. Abdullah not same after major injury

Keep cooter no brainer. New oline coach and can even get a specific run game cooridnator

Opponets, injuries and oline coach. Abdullah not same after major injury

Keep cooter no brainer. New oline coach and can even get a specific run game cooridnator

they don't need a running game cooridnator...they need competent running backs. They currently don't have any.

they don't need a running game cooridnator...they need competent running backs. They currently don't have any.

Quinn will get one. Carlos Hyde is my guy. Draft defense

Hyde, Abdullah, Riddick and Green for 2018

Healthy oline and new oline coach

Quinn will get one. Carlos Hyde is my guy. Draft defense

Hyde, Abdullah, Riddick and Green for 2018

Healthy oline and new oline coach

Why keep Abdullah?

If they get Hyde they can free up a million in cap space if they dump Abdullah.

Why keep Abdullah?

If they get Hyde they can free up a million in cap space if they dump Abdullah.

Abdullah lots of talent. Cheap. Can be a receiver like Riddick. Trade only abdullah option. No way you cut him

this is supposed to be one of the best RB classes in recent history and it will be the year the Lions don't draft one.

Back