Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2019 NBA Draft Thread

Honestly, to no surprise, I'm incredibly unhappy with this draft.

They took a project at 15, when this team does not have time to develop anyone. This isn't a championship contender that can just stash people away and let them grow.

They traded to get 30, and then turn around and give it right back, when there were plenty of intriguing talents on the board.

I honestly have no idea what the game plan is with this franchise anymore.

They took a project at 15, when this team does not have time to develop anyone. This isn't a championship contender that can just stash people away and let them grow.

They traded to get 30, and then turn around and give it right back, when there were plenty of intriguing talents on the board.

A lot of people had Sekou Doumbouya going top 10 and say he was a "steal" at 15 and others say it was a reach because he's raw and young.... The trade for 30 then subsequent trade out was interesting to me, but I'm ok with Sirvydis at 37 basically around where he was ranked pre draft... Most likely playing in EU again next year but he's 18 hopefully he can develop and grow. Jordan Bone acquisition gives us a nice third PG to develop, who could be able to step in a contribute early, if needed.... I get what you're saying that we didn't get that immediate impact year one player that everyone was clamoring for, but for picking at 15 I think we got one of the highest ceiling players that was left when we picked. Most "instant draft grades" I was looking at had the pistons sitting for A+ to B- but mostly all positive and a couple of us being one of five draft winners... It just all depends how high you are on Sekou. We shall see....

A lot of people had Sekou Doumbouya going top 10 and say he was a "steal" at 15 and others say it was a reach because he's raw and young.... The trade for 30 then subsequent trade out was interesting to me, but I'm ok with Sirvydis at 37 basically around where he was ranked pre draft... Most likely playing in EU again next year but he's 18 hopefully he can develop and grow. Jordan Bone acquisition gives us a nice third PG to develop, who could be able to step in a contribute early, if needed.... I get what you're saying that we didn't get that immediate impact year one player that everyone was clamoring for, but for picking at 15 I think we got one of the highest ceiling players that was left when we picked. Most "instant draft grades" I was looking at had the pistons sitting for A+ to B- but mostly all positive and a couple of us being one of five draft winners... It just all depends how high you are on Sekou. We shall see....

I saw his name in mocks in top 10-top 15, so I appreciate the value and that he could develop into a good-great player down the road. I just think this team needs to maximize potential right now.

I'm more confused about the later rounds. I don't understand the thinking in trading for an additional 1st round pick (30th), seeing the list of potential impact players still available, and getting rid of it for an unknown.

Overall, I just do not understand what direction or plan this franchise has right now. Are they trying to win now? Are they planning for the future? Do they understand that what they are doing right now isn't working?

I think the day Gores purchased this franchise, they were doomed. Your owner needs to have a fundamental understanding of the game and not become close with the players. The fact that he's Drummond's boy is blinding him, and it holds this organization back from developing into a modern-day team.

Basketball is simple in 2019. Position-less. Unfortunately, you have a guy that is completely clogging the floor. Blake played his ass off, but he's not going to be doing that again after next season; he will want to get the hell out of town. Jackson is a great backup PG, but he's not the starter for any contending team.

The NBA has basically two rules you can play by: you are either a big city and can lure free agents like LeBron, or you build through the draft. Those are the only two ways to go about it. No one is coming to Detroit, so the only other option is to tear this down and start over.

And I know this is probably on the bottom of the list of importance, but this team is absolutely painful to watch. There is nothing exciting about them. Last season's formula was: clear floor, give ball to Blake, let him plow into defender and draw foul.

Last edited:

I would argue that they're not even close to being a contender, despite making the playoffs as cannon fodder, and that a boom or bust project is the way to go.

I do agree with your opinion that it feels like this team has no sense of direction. Gores has been a shit owner thus far.

Last edited:
I would argue that they're not even close to being a contender, despite making the playoffs as cannon fodder, and that a boom or bust project is the way to go.

I do agree with your opinion that it feels like this team has no sense of direction. Gores has been a shit owner thus far.

To your first point, fair; I understand that train of thought as well.

He does wear the hell out of that white t-shirt when he throws things into the stands, however.

Last edited:
The Pistons did not select Roby, Dallas did.

Pistons traded the 45th (Roby) and two of the 2nd round picks acquired in the trade with Cleveland for Dallas' 37th pick in which was used on Deividas Sirvydis.

Sorry S. I keep looking at the espn draft board and on who drafted the player for what team as part of a trade .
It really doesn?t matter. I liked Roby :( I just really don?t get the draft. I want to be excited but it is hard with this group running the pistons. Hopefully we are all wrong. It seems like we took guys that excelled at combines or workouts. I would rather have
Roby over Bone. If I was a betting man right now I would bet a Roby has a longer career then Bone does. I hope I am wrong. So will the kid from Lithuania have a longer career then Roby ? That is the question. I guess we went for youth lol.. so how is that win now ?

Last edited:
Dubbs you went from staying this team isn't winning shit to wondering why they drafted a project because they need to win now. Isn't that playing both sides?

Dubbs you went from staying this team isn't winning shit to wondering why they drafted a project because they need to win now. Isn't that playing both sides?

Let me clarify this stance. Developmental projects can be taken by teams that have the backbone of a champion/great team. They know they don't need someone immediately, so they can continue to win and work on bringing someone into their system.

Teams like the Pistons and other crappy organizations need guys that can step in and make them better immediately, so they can stop staying on the roller coaster of crap.

Yeah none of the picks last night help the Pistons win more games next year it looks like right now. I wonder what Blake is thinking?

Let me clarify this stance. Developmental projects can be taken by teams that have the backbone of a champion/great team. They know they don't need someone immediately, so they can continue to win and work on bringing someone into their system.

Teams like the Pistons and other crappy organizations need guys that can step in and make them better immediately, so they can stop staying on the roller coaster of crap.

Took me all of 3 seconds to think of Milwaukee drafting Giannis as an almost exact same situation. Seems to have worked out for them

Apparently Cleveland game Detroit a record 5m for the pick.

It just feels like all of the Cavs Pick will contribute way way way before any of the players we picked. What?s 5 million to these clubs ? I guess more cap space. I guess that?s is what higher picks do :/

The play right away.

Last edited:
Took me all of 3 seconds to think of Milwaukee drafting Giannis as an almost exact same situation. Seems to have worked out for them

Milwaukee has also done a ton around him. Made great decisions, developed other players like Middleton, gave Lopez a 2nd career. This organization has proven none of that.

Milwaukee has also done a ton around him. Made great decisions, developed other players like Middleton, gave Lopez a 2nd career. This organization has proven none of that.

Developed their own in Middleton? We for sure drafted him and gave up on him way to quick.... Just like Dinwiddie...

It just feels like all of the Cavs Pick will contribute way way way before any of the players we picked. What?s 5 million to these clubs ? I guess more cap space. I guess that?s is what higher picks do :/

The play right away.

5 mil we didn't have and the guaranteed money for 30th first round pick is WAY more than 37th second round pick.

5 mil we didn't have and the guaranteed money for 30th first round pick is WAY more than 37th second round pick.

For sure hopefully we use that money wisely ! But I doubt that 37th Pick will play anytime soon right ? Maybe I?m wrong about Jb?s picks in Cleveland. Maybe they will struggle.

Developed their own in Middleton? We for sure drafted him and gave up on him way to quick.... Just like Dinwiddie...

Oh yeah. I vividly remember his first season in Detroit. He was basically a guy that came in to soak up some minutes.

Back