Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2020-21 Offseason (General)

Athanasiou declined qualifying offer from Edmonton. Will become free agent.

https://www.nhl.com/news/andreas-at...-become-free-agents/c-319340336?tid=281072352

Worded a bit weird.

Edmonton declined to qualify Athanasiou.

Had Edmonton qualified him it woulda been in 3+ million range per CBA and at this point his value has plummeted. Will be a good pickup for someone in free agency on the cheap.

AA would have never fit into Tippet's system, guy loves defensive beasts while AA is literally the opposite.

LOL, just a dumb dumb trade by Montreal.

Unless there are some off-ice issues that aren't public, bad trade by Bergevin.

Domi is much better and to throw in a pick as sweetener, crazy.

Off-ice issues were the catalyst for the Oates-to-St. Louis trade for Federko and McKegney, I heard. The rumors abound and will remain unnamed. Apparently, Ilitch was insistent that Oates be shipped out.

And Paul MacLean was also traded to StL

Worded a bit weird.

Edmonton declined to qualify Athanasiou.

Had Edmonton qualified him it woulda been in 3+ million range per CBA and at this point his value has plummeted. Will be a good pickup for someone in free agency on the cheap.

AA would have never fit into Tippet's system, guy loves defensive beasts while AA is literally the opposite.
I agree I messed up the wording. Thanks.

Off-ice issues were the catalyst for the Oates-to-St. Louis trade for Federko and McKegney, I heard. The rumors abound and will remain unnamed. Apparently, Ilitch was insistent that Oates be shipped out.

And Paul MacLean was also traded to StL
I was bummed when we traded Oates. He was one of my favorites back then.

I was bummed when we traded Oates. He was one of my favorites back then.

Amassed 1,200+ points after he was traded. Federko played one season; McKegney played 14 games and was traded to Quebec. MacLean out-pointed Ferderko as a Blue.

Last edited:
Taylor Hall to Buffalo on 1 year deal.

Seems that due to pandemic and limited cap increase, the GMs have been far more sensible with cap hits this offseason.

7-year, $61.6 mill Pietrangelo to Vegas. Lots of money.

Last edited:
Taylor Hall to Buffalo on 1 year deal.

Seems that due to pandemic and limited cap increase, the GMs have been far more sensible with cap hits this offseason.

Reading about it, Hall seems to be hedging his play to either leave after a season or re-up if the Sabres get its act together.

?I don?t have much to complain about,? said Hall.

Sometimes players need that kick in the ass, ala Seguin.

Oates?s point totals were escalating year over year and he was upset he was traded as well as why, so maybe there reason to consider the trade caused a quantum jump in his performance that was already on the rise.

Oates?s point totals were escalating year over year and he was upset he was traded as well as why, so maybe there reason to consider the trade caused a quantum jump in his performance that was already on the rise.

Playing with a young Hull probably helped too.

I don't follow the NHL very closely. Why did they wait so long to start? Don't they usually start before the NBA?

And they had things to iron out, only 56 games rather than 81. Had to figure out pay as well plus a few other logistics. Though the NBA finished their season later, in October, so I guess they figured it out sooner.

And they had things to iron out, only 56 games rather than 81. Had to figure out pay as well plus a few other logistics. Though the NBA finished their season later, in October, so I guess they figured it out sooner.

maybe they also wanted to let college and NFL football get out of the way so they can attract a few more viewers??

The NHL must really be hurting. My guess is a lot of their income comes from attendance when compared to other sports. I doubt they get a lot of money from their TV contracts.

maybe they also wanted to let college and NFL football get out of the way so they can attract a few more viewers??

The NHL must really be hurting. My guess is a lot of their income comes from attendance when compared to other sports. I doubt they get a lot of money from their TV contracts.
They do okay, they still got a nice deal with NBC. They have to renew next season I guess that to be huge. Take into account the cap is just over 81m for 50 players, 23 NHL and ml hockey. And ml players unlike the young kids in baseball get paid.

Last edited:
Back