Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 NFL Draft Strategy - Thru Week 13

So i think were all saying the same thing ...some are just more passionate about saying the same thing as everyone else. And i think we've always said the same thing. Stafford is a good qb with a great arm. Good QBs can win in this league with quality talent around them. See Nick Foles. Bad QBs can win with elite talent around them. See Mitch Trubisky. See Rex Grossman.

Stafford is a good QB...puts up amazing statistical numbers. QB ratings and QBR he has had some VERY middle to lower of the pack seasons...which in all honesty were impacted by the poor talent level around him and him pressing to make some bad decisions.

This year he delivered with a GREAT supporting cast at WR in Woods, Kupp, OBJ and Higbee. Decent run game but i wouldnt call it a good run game (abysmal run game in the super bowl). And the defense was middle of the pack until the playoffs. That was a GREAT defense in the playoffs. I expected him to win it with that support once GB lost and the Bucs lost their entire offense.

Cards Folded....just a terrible showing that kyler murray is still whining about.
Good win vs Brady and his band of 8th string WRs.
Tough hard fought win vs 49ers who are scrappy but arent a very dangerous team.
Super Bowl GW drive vs the Bengals who were never expected to do much this season.

Defense turned it on ...and all in all they had a fairly easy road to a Super Bowl win. Stafford deserves credit for being a big part of that.

I hate that train of thought for any QB that wins a Super Bowl. Good defenses help EVERY quarterback. It's fucking essential in winning in the playoffs.

Tom Brady played an AMAZING 47 playoff games. 47!! Only 5 of those games did he play without a top 10 defense (points allowed). 5! 89.4% of his playoff games were with a defense ranked in the top 10.

In the 3 years (out of 21) he didn't have a defense finish in the top 10....

2002 - Missed playoffs
2005 - 1-1
2011 - 2-1

To put that in perspective....Matthew Stafford has more playoff wins in his career (4) than Tom Brady does in his (3) without a defense ranked in the top 10.

No, I am not saying Tom Brady is bad....that guy will go down as the GOAT. A deserved title. What I am pointing to is that defense is important for ANY FREAKING QUARTERBACK.

Last edited:
I mean... you can't argue facts.

Richard Sherman@RSherman_25

I?m gonna talk about it on the podcast but the HOF bar is incredibly low now. Like a participation trophy. No all decade team. No All pro. No MVP. 1 Pro bowl. Not even MVP of the SB. Never considered the best in any year he played. At least M. Ryan has an MVP

If Matt puts up more numbers the next four seasons he will probably get in. If Rams win another super bowl he is a lock.

I mean... you can't argue facts.

Richard Sherman@RSherman_25

I?m gonna talk about it on the podcast but the HOF bar is incredibly low now. Like a participation trophy. No all decade team. No All pro. No MVP. 1 Pro bowl. Not even MVP of the SB. Never considered the best in any year he played. At least M. Ryan has an MVP

He threw 40 tds twice and didnt get in the year he won super bowl. Lol at pro bowl being a gauge

2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021 were pro bowl years

Sherman is an idiot and mad Stafford torched him

Stafford 7th all time in playoff qb rating too right behind arod

Stafford is a hof lock and still has 4 to 7 more seasons to add way more numbers and rings

Last edited:
I hate that train of thought for any QB that wins a Super Bowl. Good defenses help EVERY quarterback. It's fucking essential in winning in the playoffs.

Tom Brady played an AMAZING 47 playoff games. 47!! Only 5 of those games did he play without a top 10 defense (points allowed). 5! 89.4% of his playoff games were with a defense ranked in the top 10.

In the 3 years (out of 21) he didn't have a defense finish in the top 10....

2002 - Missed playoffs
2005 - 1-1
2011 - 2-1

To put that in perspective....Matthew Stafford has more playoff wins in his career (4) than Tom Brady does in his (3) without a defense ranked in the top 10.

No, I am not saying Tom Brady is bad....that guy will go down as the GOAT. A deserved title. What I am pointing to is that defense is important for ANY FREAKING QUARTERBACK.

So in Essence what your saying is he choked in Detroit lol ? Because I think he had one top ten defense of his three playoff teams right
And two that were middle of the pack (I didn?t look the other two up)

Rams defense may not be top ten but after they got Miller that defense line could be considered great. Like a on off switch. They were the reason Matt had a chance for that last second drive.

Last edited:
Cowboys were allowed to hold so much against that lions vaunted defense and dline. Plus the bogus non dpi and missed offsides on lawrence final drive

Stafford beat Dallas even though the detroit d gave up 24

Cowboys were allowed to hold so much against that lions vaunted defense and dline. Plus the bogus non dpi and missed offsides on lawrence final drive

Stafford beat Dallas even though the detroit d gave up 24

Sadly you can?t be in close games against the NFL protected teams. We all knew the close flags would go Dallas way. Needed to bury them when we were up and sadly we didn?t and the flags went the Cowboys way.

He threw 40 tds twice and didnt get in the year he won super bowl. Lol at pro bowl being a gauge

2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021 were pro bowl years

Sherman is an idiot and mad Stafford torched him

Stafford 7th all time in playoff qb rating too right behind arod

Stafford is a hof lock and still has 4 to 7 more seasons to add way more numbers and rings

1 pro bowl when threes like 80 alternates every year is pretty sad.

So in Essence what your saying is he choked in Detroit lol ? Because I think he had one top ten defense of his three playoff teams right
And two that were middle of the pack (I didn?t look the other two up)

Rams defense may not be top ten but after they got Miller that defense line could be considered great. Like a on off switch. They were the reason Matt had a chance for that last second drive.

Not at all. Good defense doesn't GUARANTEE winning in the playoffs, but it makes your overall chance a lot better.

Brady had the #1 or #2 overall defense (points scored) 5 different times in his career. Won 2 titles with them.

Stafford had...

2011 - 23rd 0-1
2014 - 3rd 0-1
2016 - 13th 0-1
2021 - 15th 4-0

Again, not a shot at Brady at all because it proves the point I'm TRYING to make......even GOATS need defense to consistently win so this talk of the "defense won the game" is stupid.

Last edited:
If the Lions want to get a WR, it appears that there are some studs. From what I read, the top of the WR class is really deep.

Here are the combine results for the ones that participated.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/202...ight-weight-40-yard-dash-bench-press-vertical

Two guys from small schools who's results stand out to me.

Christian Watson North Dakota St. 6'4" 204lb 38.5' vertical, 4.28 40
Isaiah Weston, Northern Iowa. 6'4" 214lb. 40" vertical, 4.39 40

David Bell is gonna drop. I think we could get him with one of our 3rd rd picks. He was very productive at Purdue. I see him as a #2 or 3 wr. My perfect scenario is Jameson Williams dropping to 32 and Bell in the 3rd.

The more I read on Malik Willis the more I want him. He?s aced this off-season with the interview process and has showed top level arm strength. We know the speed, athletic and play making abilities are there.

Josh Allen arm strength with Kyler Murray speed. That?s something to work with!

The more I read on Malik Willis the more I want him. He?s aced this off-season with the interview process and has showed top level arm strength. We know the speed, athletic and play making abilities are there.

Josh Allen arm strength with Kyler Murray speed. That?s something to work with!

Sorry. I don't agree. I see his athleticism and that's great.....but I am absolutely not convinced he can read a defense. He had problems doing it at DII schools and had interception problems last year. His highlights are all of him throwing deep balls to his first read with pretty clean pockets. He doesn't manipulate S......he doesn't read windows well.

What good is that big arm and athleticism going to do for him if he has no idea what he's looking at when he gets to the LOS.

Maybe he can learn it. Maybe he cant. That's a giant IF to hang the balance of your franchise on.

Don't think we take him at 2 or that Willis lasts until 32

Sorry. I don't agree. I see his athleticism and that's great.....but I am absolutely not convinced he can read a defense. He had problems doing it at DII schools and had interception problems last year. His highlights are all of him throwing deep balls to his first read with pretty clean pockets. He doesn't manipulate S......he doesn't read windows well.

What good is that big arm and athleticism going to do for him if he has no idea what he's looking at when he gets to the LOS.

Maybe he can learn it. Maybe he cant. That's a giant IF to hang the balance of your franchise on.

This, combined with the fact that he is simply a good runner but not near as explosive as Vick/Lamar means he will have to rely much more on his arm to have success. Not a bet I?m willing to take.

This, combined with the fact that he is simply a good runner but not near as explosive as Vick/Lamar means he will have to rely much more on his arm to have success. Not a bet I?m willing to take.

There has been VERY little track record of success at the NFL level of QB's that can just run.

Vick and Lamar. And both of those guys can/could throw it well enough to be dangerous. But as you said, Willis isn't them.

Josh Allen would be dog shit if he didn't improve his ability to read a defense and make plays FROM the pocket.

If you draft Willis.....you're HOPING he can learn that as well. But I hate drafting a QB early with the hopes that he can do that. That's like drafting a DE hoping he can learn to rush the passer or a CB hoping he can learn to cover. You take those guys in the 4th-7th.

There has been VERY little track record of success at the NFL level of QB's that can just run.

Vick and Lamar. And both of those guys can/could throw it well enough to be dangerous. But as you said, Willis isn't them.

Josh Allen would be dog shit if he didn't improve his ability to read a defense and make plays FROM the pocket.

If you draft Willis.....you're HOPING he can learn that as well. But I hate drafting a QB early with the hopes that he can do that. That's like drafting a DE hoping he can learn to rush the passer or a CB hoping he can learn to cover. You take those guys in the 4th-7th.

This is where I would disagree. You can?t teach his athletic abilities, arm strength and speed. That?s god given talent. You can learn how to read a defense if that is a true concern, good coaching can speed that up. He showed preparation skills when he aced the interview process.

This is where I would disagree. You can?t teach his athletic abilities, arm strength and speed. That?s god given talent. You can learn how to read a defense if that is a true concern, good coaching can speed that up. He showed preparation skills when he aced the interview process.

1. Prepping for an interview is MUCH different than learning to read defenses.

2. You don't think the coaching staff at Liberty did everything they could to teach him to read a defense??

Listen, I'm not saying he WON'T be able to learn. It's to what degree can he get better? And, can he do it well enough to be elite?

I'm going to say no.

I wouldn't touch Willis in the first 3 rounds of this draft. I do not think he will be able to develop the ability to read defenses well enough at the NFL level to be an elite QB.

If the Lions did draft him. I'll root for the guy to be able to do that.....but I don't see it.

Back