Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

You're wrong. It has EVERYTHING to do with red flags. You just can't see it. There is ZERO evidence with this current regime that "nobody wants to come to the Lions". The only facts available points to just the opposite being true. FA's openly WANTING to come back. Marvin Jones WANTED to come back. Jamaal Williams WANTED to come back.

Marvin Jones & Jamaal Williams are basically scrubs. They are the type of free agents that have very little interest from other teams. I will continue to believe that the Lions aren't a highly thought of FA destination until I see a real quality FA sign with them.

Marvin Jones & Jamaal Williams are basically scrubs. They are the type of free agents that have very little interest from other teams. I will continue to believe that the Lions aren't a highly thought of FA destination until I see a real quality FA sign with them.

CJ Gardner-Johnson says hi.

CJ Gardner-Johnson says hi.

He received a one year deal. There wasn?t a whole lot of interest from other teams.

Marvin Jones, Jamal Williams, CJG?You?re proving my point. Nobody is lining up to be a Lion.

He received a one year deal. There wasn?t a whole lot of interest from other teams.

Marvin Jones, Jamal Williams, CJG?You?re proving my point. Nobody is lining up to be a Lion.

Lions, Eagles, Bengals, Bills, Broncos all had interest in CJGJ. Bengals were talking long term deal.

Guy was one of the top 10 FA in football and chose the Lions.

The Lions haven't gone after many guys that got big deals. That's not their M.O.

They likely won't sign DHop because off all the baggage he brings OFF the field.....not because he doesn't want to go to Detroit.

Lions, Eagles, Bengals, Bills, Broncos all had interest in CJGJ. Bengals were talking long term deal.

The Lions haven't gone after many guys that got big deals. That's not their M.O.

They likely won't sign DHop because off all the baggage he brings OFF the field.....not because he doesn't want to go to Detroit.
I suspect it's baggage and he doesn't won't want to come here.

Go to a team that you know will be good or one that might. That's easy decision for players.. they know.

Reactions: 503

Lol ok man?He turned down long term deals to play for the Lions on a one year prove it deal. Listen how that sounds!

When we haven?t landed guys on big deals, of course we?re going to make it sound like that?s not our M.O. you think Holmes and company are going to come out and say Ramsey chose the Dolphins over us?

Lol ok man?He turned down long term deals to play for the Lions on a one year prove it deal. Listen how that sounds!

When we haven?t landed guys on big deals, of course we?re going to make it sound like that?s not our M.O. you think Holmes and company are going to come out and say Ramsey chose the Dolphins over us?

Lol. I?ll be nice and gently remind you that the Dolphins TRADED for Ramsey?..who did not have a no trade clause.

Idiot.

Great example.

Lol. I?ll be nice and gently remind you that the Dolphins TRADED for Ramsey?..who did not have a no trade clause.

Idiot.

Great example.

Because these players and agents have NO say on where they want to get traded. It?s 2023, try and stay up w the times!

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ed-to-dolphins-from-rams-amid-rumors.amp.html

When the Los Angeles Rams made Jalen Ramsey available for trade this winter, the veteran cornerback's agent, David Mulugheta, floated the Miami Dolphins to him as a possible destination.

Ramsey told Mulugheta that Miami was a place he'd be willing to go, but his feelings about playing for the Dolphins grew to the point that going to South Florida was the only place he wanted to land, according to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.

"I'm not going anywhere but there," Ramsey told Mulugheta. "So make sure that's where I end up."

Last edited:
Because these players and agents have NO say on where they want to get traded. It?s 2023, try and stay up w the times!

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ed-to-dolphins-from-rams-amid-rumors.amp.html

When the Los Angeles Rams made Jalen Ramsey available for trade this winter, the veteran cornerback's agent, David Mulugheta, floated the Miami Dolphins to him as a possible destination.

Ramsey told Mulugheta that Miami was a place he'd be willing to go, but his feelings about playing for the Dolphins grew to the point that going to South Florida was the only place he wanted to land, according to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.

"I'm not going anywhere but there," Ramsey told Mulugheta. "So make sure that's where I end up."

503: you think Holmes and company are going to come out and say Ramsey chose the Dolphins over us?

Takes every word Ramsey says as fact.

You are arguing both sides of the same argument. Do you think Ramsey and his agent are going to come out and say that a different team was their preferred destination??

LOL

And Jalen Ramsey wanting to play for the Dolphins does NOT prove that nobody wants to play for the Lions. That's just stupid.

Last edited:
I will take Sutton (3 years 33 million) and 3rd round NT Brodric Martin and Brock Wright/James Mitchell on the Lions roster squad over just Ramsey (3 years 55 million)

3 for 1 for the cap space and draft pick(s)

3rd rounder and TE Hunter Long for Ramsey was the deal

Ramsey may have wanted to come here and the Dolphins. Florida has no state income tax so the Dolphins are offering more money even with the same money

I will take Sutton (3 years 33 million) and 3rd round NT Brodric Martin and Brock Wright/James Mitchell on the Lions roster squad over just Ramsey (3 years 55 million)

Ramsey may have wanted to come here and the Dolphins. Florida has no state income tax so the Dolphins are offering more money even with the same money

places like Miami are always going to be better destinations than Detroit. No state taxes and Miami is an area that athletes want to live year around.

places like Miami are always going to be better destinations than Detroit. No state taxes and Miami is an area that athletes want to live year around.

Players also wanted to go to LA where the state taxes are crazy. Like the old saying goes ?if you build it, they will come?!

I do agree. Miami will always be a more desirable place with the weather and taxes.

Last edited:

Of course you would. And that?s why we?ve been a non contender for 20+ years.

503: you think Holmes and company are going to come out and say Ramsey chose the Dolphins over us?

Takes every word Ramsey says as fact.

You are arguing both sides of the same argument. Do you think Ramsey and his agent are going to come out and say that a different team was their preferred destination??

LOL

And Jalen Ramsey wanting to play for the Dolphins does NOT prove that nobody wants to play for the Lions. That's just stupid.

Who has ever WANTED to come to Detroit???? Don?t give me these Jamaal Williams, Marvin Jones names. Give me one elite player that has WANTED to be a Lion?

Barry wanted out
Calvin wanted out
Suh wanted out
Slay wanted out
Stafford wanted out

We?re a losing organization, have been for years. You think raw raw Dan Campbell has changed that with 12 wins in 2years?

Who has ever WANTED to come to Detroit???? Don?t give me these Jamaal Williams, Marvin Jones names. Give me one elite player that has WANTED to be a Lion?

Barry wanted out
Calvin wanted out
Suh wanted out
Slay wanted out
Stafford wanted out

We?re a losing organization, have been for years. You think raw raw Dan Campbell has changed that with 12 wins in 2years?

Not sure if they ever signed an elite free agent. Off the top of my head I would guess that Golden Tate was their highest profile free agent signing.

Not sure if they ever signed an elite free agent. Off the top of my head I would guess that Golden Tate was their highest profile free agent signing.

You do have to be a Super Bowl contender or consistent winner to be considered by elite players

They re-signed Calvin. He didn't have to stay but chose to following 2011 season and huge money. Then got hurt a bunch so quit after 7-9 season and playoff season when he retired.

We have got plenty of free agents that were higher tier free agents at the time like Tate, Bush, Glover Quin, Trey Flowers, trading for Ngata (elite player to replace Suh but old), re-signed Slay, before Patricia pissed him off, you could say re-signed Decker/Ragnow would be top tier free agents too. The current roster has tons on rookie deals (will Sewell (3 years left) , St Brown 2 years left, Hutchinson (4 years left) all stay is the question) and lesser with (Alim McNeil 2 years left , Jonah Jackson 1 year , CGJ re-sign 1 year). This year will determine that as the Lions do have the cap room for them.

And many times they get traded or are older at that point:
Tyreek Hill and OBJ traded (not elite either, just overrated) ,Stefon Diggs traded. But can't force trades to the Lions (players want and compensation package)
Ramsey traded a few times
Von Miller was traded to Rams. But did sign with Bills as older player (and didn't pan out due to ACL)
Khalil Mack traded to Bears and to Chargers
Randy Moss traded a few times and chose to be awesome for certain teams/years
Julius Peppers I believe was a big Bears signing and cut and then a Packers signing
Charles Woodson was cut by the Raiders and signed cheaper with Packers somehow
Reggie White the first big elite player
Brees wasn't elite but was good when signed with Saints in 2006 (but we went with Kitna lol Millen). Culpepper was just as highly rated and was a dud for Miami.
Peyton and Brady, Lions were happy with Stafford and they wanted a win now team
Lamar (not elite) ended up re-signing. Same with every elite QB it seems (Allen, Maholmes, Rodgers (then just now traded) etc)

Last edited:

I'd say Pat Swilling, Dre Bly or Az Hakim.

All 3 were pretty big names at the time....especially Swilling.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason
2023 NFL offensive line rankings: Eagles lead the way. Lions are Ranked High.
PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-running-back-unit-rankings-2023
2023 NFL running back unit rankings: San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns among Tier 1 teams. Lions in the middle.
PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-nfl-receiving-corps-rankings
2023 NFL receiving corps rankings: Cincinnati Bengals take the top spot for the second year in a row. lots of teams ranked higher than the Lions here.
PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-line-rankings-2023
2023 NFL defensive line rankings: Philadelphia Eagles take the top spot, San Francisco 49ers come in at No. 2.
PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-lineba...laim-the-top-spot-for-second-consecutive-year
2023 NFL linebacker unit rankings: San Francisco 49ers claim the top spot for second consecutive year. Jack Campbell Help!
PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-secondary-rankings-2023-new-york-jets-miami-dolphins-take-top-spots
2023 NFL secondary rankings: New York Jets, Miami Dolphins take top spots.
Where are Night Train Lane, Yale Lary, and Dick LeBeau when you need them?
PFF

Back