Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Any update on the Smith injury?

newton83

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Smith? All I heard was he was put in the boot as a precaution. Was there ever a diagnosis of the injury and timeline to return?

One of the ESPN staff writers is reporting that Drevno is very optimistic that Smith will be ready to go on Saturday. I think they should give him limited time in the game, but leave it up to TI and Drake to do the heavy running in this one unless they can't get off the line. I think Michigan can win this one without Smith getting too much work and potentially exacerbating the injury. Save him for NW and MSU!

I think Isaac is our best back, so I'm ok with smith sitting out. I like Smith, but isaac has a better all around game

I like the way Ty moves and is fast if he gets a breakout

Like drake too but he is limited I. Playing time due to injury from last year

I must be missing the boat on Ty Isaac. Other than one really good run, he's been average IMO. I think Smith is far and away the better back right now.

I must be missing the boat on Ty Isaac. Other than one really good run, he's been average IMO. I think Smith is far and away the better back right now.

Yeah, it seems his ranking out of HS is making people see things that are not there. Smith is getting like 2-4 yards extra on every run after contact. Isaac has done some OK things but beyond looking OK, he hasn't done much to make me want him in over Smith.

I didn't know what type of runner he was out of HS, but he doesn't do anything well. He's not fast or elusive, he's just kinda there.

Yeah, it seems his ranking out of HS is making people see things that are not there. Smith is getting like 2-4 yards extra on every run after contact. Isaac has done some OK things but beyond looking OK, he hasn't done much to make me want him in over Smith.

It's ironic that Isaac would get love based on his ranking when Green gets killed by M fans. It's also ironic that the Smith went from a guy that needed benched to irreplaceable in the span of 3 weeks. I'm not playing Smith this week unless it's a close game late. I know this team is in no position to overlook anybody, but let's be honest, this team should easily beat Maryland by 20 and Northwestern and MSU are looming large. I like Smith a lot.

Well, I don't have much love for either lol. They seem identical. Nothing they do well, don't run through contact. Not sure how they are blocking, but Smith picks up those blitzes like a tank.

average?

Aside from the 76 yard run, he's still averaging 5 yards per carry. That's only 19 carries, by the way.

Deveon has 68 carries for 271 for a 3.9 yards per carry average if you take out his 60 yard run, which I think was more about luck than anything else. He slammed into the pile, got lucky that a linebacker wasn't there to finish him off and then had to fight with a DB by himself because he couldn't outrun him or anybody else on the field for that matter.

If you have any recorded games on your DVR, I urge you to go back and watch his carries. He has no vision, no speed, and if there's more than one guy to tackle him, he's going down. On the other hand, Isaac does show vision, hits holes, makes people miss and still has some power. Oh and he can outrun people.

I like smith as a rotation guy, but as the feature back...no. He's far too limited.

I keep hearing people talk about "Oh yeah, slamming into the pile and getting 4 yards, that's old Michigan football." Really? Mike Hart didn't do that. Anthony Thomas didn't do that. Chris Howard didn't do that. Biakabutuka didn't do that. Wheatley didn't either. All of them had the vision to hit holes and outrun you if they had to. Sure they could put their heads down and run over you, but they picked their spots. Smith is too much of a one trick pony and the tougher defenses are going to pick him apart.

Isaac's had a small sample size, but I'd take what I've seen from him over what I've seen from Smith.

Well agree to disagree. I haven't seen anything that amazed me with the way he runs. I've watched the same stuff you have. I don't see the power he has, he hasn't shed any tacklers or anything like that. I've seen him tackled pretty easily when there is contact.

If you take away Isaac's 76 yard run, he's still averaging 4.94 YPC on his 19 other runs. That's pretty solid.

Derrick Green is the only one that hasn't looked very good. No surprise to me.

Last edited:
He has such a small sample size that I don't know how much the stats can really tell about the guy.

I just haven't been impressed by him on the field other than his long carry. I must be missing this breakaway speed that he has. This team needs a guy who can guarantee he'll push forward for 3-4 yards on first down to make things easier for the offense, and Smith is that guy.

He has such a small sample size that I don't know how much the stats can really tell about the guy.

I just haven't been impressed by him on the field other than his long carry. I must be missing this breakaway speed that he has. This team needs a guy who can guarantee he'll push forward for 3-4 yards on first down to make things easier for the offense, and Smith is that guy.

My only concern with Smith is his ability to do that against the better defenses we face. I'm hopeful that he'll be able to because of the improvement we've seen on the o-line since the Utah game.

I've seen Smith get stuffed way too many times on first and 10 to believe that.

Isaac is the better back by far(has way better vision). Smith is being used to wear teams down and not fumble. He is Harbaughs most trusted back at the moment. Isaac is the homerun hitter, he just needs more carries. I believe he only had 2 last week and that is clearly not enough. At the end of the day, though, it is about the team. If it is functioning properly like it was last week, I see no reason to change things yet. Smith is very bruising and teams just dont feel like tackling anyone like that with 10 min left in the 4th quarter. Some guys take plays off because they are hurting and wore down and thats when heavy
runners hurt teams.

Back