Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ben Herbert and Jesse Minter To Chargers

bphillips4gg

I know Minter is old news but figured I would include him since it hasn't been covered. That was pretty expected. The intention is to keep the scheme, whether that's through hiring another Ravens disciple or hiring an experienced play caller and having him learn the scheme remains to be seen. Either possibility is on the table.

What was not suspected was Ben Herbert, the Strength and Conditioning Coordinator, leaving to follow Jim to the NFL. The point has been widely made that S&C guys don't have nearly the impact in the NFL that they do in college. Guys in the league tend to have their own private trainers and don't spend nearly as much time in the team facility. As such, they typically aren't compensated as much as their college counterparts.

For perspective, Herbert was the highest paid S&C coach in CFB last year at $1MM a year (signed a 5 year contract last off season). The highest paid NFL S&C coach was reported to be making $755k. It has been reported that Jim just offered Herbert $1.7MM.

Definitely a big blow to the program. Players, coaches and recruits all regularly cite Herbert as a key piece of the program.

Happy Monday!

Justin Tress, the assistant S&C coach and Herbert's right hand guy, will be elevated to the position to replace Herbert. Sounds like the players are pretty upset with the departure but this news is still fresh.

So our former quarterback from the 1980s, and our recent head coach who famously led Michigan to the National Championship, was introduced yesterday as the new Los Angeles Chargers head coach.

As the introduction was going on, the idea of “Hollywood Harbaugh” came into my mind. Then shortly thereafter, the inimitable Petros Papadekis, long time Los Angeles/SoCal radio voice, addressed him as that later in the day. Back in the day when Harbaugh was coaching out here in Cali, I would hear him on the Petros radio show.

I guess there might be mixed feelings about Jim here on this board.

Personally - I think it’s time, and next man up.

I think think Sherrone Moore (not Shemar Moore) is going to be a great coach at Michigan. Much of the presser yesterday had to do with Jim leaving Michigan and the hands he was leaving Michigan in - Jim was all in, and I agree.

I started this thread on the Michigan board because Harbaugh will always be first last and always a champion Michigan Wolverine.

Los Angeles is pretty excited that Jim is coming here.

So here’s a Harbaugh thread for the Wolverine going forward.

LA's owner is kind of a dickhead though; I've heard there's still literally no interest in the team locally, so Harbaugh may be a godsend to him. If that's the case, expect this to play out like his tenure with the 49ers did... and maybe even his tenure in Ann Arbor (?):

Phase I - Coach is successful & turns team around. Team is winning, players like coach, fans like coach, everything good.

|
|
V

Phase II - Coach's boss is enjoying the money and success, but does unnecessary tone-deaf dickhead thing to remind coach who is the boss

|
|
V

Phase III - Coach bristles under this, and his well-known propensity to speak out upsets dickhead owner, and foolishly turns this into a semi-public pissing contest

|
|
V

Phase IV - Bored sports media picks up on this reports on it non-stop, further upsetting dickhead owner. pissing contest becomes open warfare
|
|
V

Phase V - Coach leaves... and don't get me wrong, I'm HOPING Moore is successful, but if not, maybe Harbaugh can come back again, Warde presumably being fired, if/when Moore is not successful.

I’m expecting Moore to be successful. He’s already a National Championship Head Coach adjacent.

Getting Harbaugh is a 180 degree turn for the Spanos (not to be confused with the Sopranos) family.

The immediate data on the Internet is a little inconsistent. It shows the Spanos family worth about a billion - pretty good compared to you and me, kinda paltry compared to Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos - but the Chargers themselves are valued at 4 billion - and the Spanos’ own 97% of the team.

They’re paying Harbaugh four times what they paid the last HC, and supposedly have written a blank to get Harbaugh what he needs to be successful.

It wasn’t that long ago Steve Ballmer bought the Los Angeles Clippers for 2 billion.

Now they’ve worth 4 billion.

And they’re winning.

So rule of thumb, if you’re already a billionaire, look to the number two team in the Los Angeles major professional sports market as a good investment.

think think Sherrone Moore (not Shemar Moore) is going to be a great coach at Michigan. Much of the presser yesterday had to do with Jim leaving Michigan and the hand.

If Sherrone Moore struggles can we get Shemar Moore? Wouldn't even need to change monograms.

Back