Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

buyers or sellers?

tomdalton22

The Tigers have 15 games left until the trade deadline. 7 game home stand which includes 3 vs Baltimore and 4 Vs Seattle. Then they hit the road for 8 games starting @ Boston, TB & Baltimore. If they are .500 or better after the first 10 games I think they will be buyers. If they are sellers let's look at the 2016 FAs

Price
Cespedes
Soria
Simon
Avila
Davis
Gorzelanny

Price & Ces are the only two that might get you some decent prospects. Soria could get you something but I don't think much. The rest are not worthless but aren't going to net anything worth while. If the Tigers are serious about re-building the one player that has the most trade value is JD Martinez. He is the guy that could net you the most since he is controllable until 2018 (I think). Now, that is the kind of player the Tigers need on their roster but they need more than one guy.

I think if you are going to sell...go big. Trade Price, Cespedes and if the right package is out there you trade JD for a huge haul. That said...at LEAST 2 players need to be ML ready or already good contributors and you need some top prospects.

My hope...JV finds the fountain of youth, Sanchez has a great 2nd half and the Tigers go on a run but Don't sell the farm. My fear...they are at .500 and sell the farm but miss the playoffs.

I would sell sell sell. That bullpen is not going to go anywhere in the playoffs. It is getting worse every year somehow, even though it wasn't any good in the past.

Trade Price and Cespedes first so that they do not walk for nothing. Then try to move any big salaries that they can. Get a few young players then reload in the offseason. Everyone should be for sale right now.

I would sell sell sell. That bullpen is not going to go anywhere in the playoffs. It is getting worse every year somehow, even though it wasn't any good in the past.

Trade Price and Cespedes first so that they do not walk for nothing. Then try to move any big salaries that they can. Get a few young players then reload in the offseason. Everyone should be for sale right now.

Who would want to shoulder the contracts of Kinsler, Martinez, Sanchez and Verlander?

I don't think teams would want to take on Verlander. But if you wanted to ship Victor, I think you can find a buyer interested in his plate ability.

I don't think teams would want to take on Verlander. But if you wanted to ship Victor, I think you can find a buyer interested in his plate ability.

Victor would be the last of the four that I'd want to see leave the team. EDIT: (Next to Anibal)

Last edited:
Well, if you are doing the firesale stuff and truly rebuilding for the next wave, you go all in. Get whatever prospects and young pieces you can, no matter what. If someone is willing to give a top prospect or at least a very good one for Victor, have to consider it.

Great, we can be the Marlins with out the two Titles. Keep JD..

Sell.

No player is untouchable. Some are "untradeable", but so was Fielder.

I would sell high on J.D. Martinez. He will get a hefty raise in arbitration if he keeps it up. I think right now he nets the most. Next would be Price.

IMHO, Kinsler could probably net more than Cespedes. Kinsler is only due $14 Mil in 2016, $11 Mil in 2017 and $10 Mil in 2018, if option picked up. I could see some playoff bound team in need of a 2B taking that on (i.e. KCR, NYY or LAA).

Last edited:
Maybe DD and MI will see this thread..I expect them to pick up marginal pieces of crap and not sell. It's not in them to sell.

And it's also not in them to have won a world series with the way this team is constructed.

This team has missed their chance. Don't become the Phillies. Build for the future.

And it's also not in them to have won a world series with the way this team is constructed.

This team has missed their chance. Don't become the Phillies. Build for the future.

Unfortunately, the picks we have are to become the Phillies, or the bad Marlins for many years. And when you become the Marlins, you eventually become the Phillies because you over pay one year, many players, to get better quickly. At least when you go the sell all approach.

Last edited:
With DD's contract coming to an end in 2015. This could be the end of an era. It was fun to watch the teams he put together.

The talent was there we came close twice, but didn't get that elusive world series championship.

With one last shot, I would say we are buyers.

DD has implied in interviews IMO that they first 10-11 games to start the second half will be a factor. He has not said just what his expectations are for these first 10-11 games post break but IMO he is basically saying if we don't get off to a great start to start the second half then we are going into sell mode, otherwise we'll be buyers. This is just my opinion of what he's basically saying..now.. what would be considered a good enough start for the second half?

I will say anything less than 8-3 after the first 11 post break it's start selling!

My question to the people who think we should be buyers: Who do you think is available that is going to make a big difference, and what do we have to offer for them?

In order to be buyers we have to have something a seller would want in return.

My question to the people who think we should be buyers: Who do you think is available that is going to make a big difference, and what do we have to offer for them?

In order to be buyers we have to have something a seller would want in return.

Does anyone think we should buy? My opinion was that DD won't sell. I'm just not sure what we should do, buy or sell, I'm just not sure DD would sell.

smiley.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone think we should buy? My opinion was that DD won't sell. I'm just not sure what we should do, buy or sell, I'm just not sure DD would sell.

Do you actually read the threads you post in? Several people have said they think we should be buyers, including on just 4 posts above your last.

Back