Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

There has been speculation that Megatron wants Caldwell back, and would probably return if he was retained, but may retire if he's fired.

Great if we didn't already have enough trouble being held hostage by that overgrown keg stand Stafford now CJ has gone all babyfied on us.

There has been speculation that Megatron wants Caldwell back, and would probably return if he was retained, but may retire if he's fired.

Nate Burleson shot down any speculations though. Strictly said it was a health issue and adamant about it.

Great if we didn't already have enough trouble being held hostage by that overgrown keg stand Stafford now CJ has gone all babyfied on us.

You have no clue what's going on. Lions are not held hostage by Stafford and CJ isn't a baby. Stfu

This is what my gut is saying as well, if stone face is canned why stay to go through yet another new scheme that would likely come with a new coaching staff, its not the only factor for sure but IMO it will cement the decision for him if no Caldwell...again it's just my intuition gut feeling with nothing to back it up

If Caldwell goes CJ retires, if he stays then he works out the cap hit with management and gives it one last year IMO

Last edited:
This is what my gut is saying as well, if stone face is canned why stay to go through yet another new scheme that would likely come with a new coaching staff, its not the only factor for sure but IMO it will cement the decision for him if no Caldwell...again it's just my intuition gut feeling with nothing to back it up

If Caldwell goes CJ retires, if he stays then he works out the cap hit with management and gives it one last year IMO

Absolutely agree with this.

I think CJ's retirement talk is 70% about his health and 30% about having to start over AGAIN with a new coaching staff. He likes Caldwell. Wants him back. I would have to imagine that is part of Quinn's decision making process here. He's not going to bend over backwards to keep him.....but I would imagine he'd like to retain the services of one of the leagues 10 best WR if he can.

I think it has little to do with Caldwell. I think it has to do with even when we were winning everyone was pointing at calvin saying he wasn't doing enough. We had 2 entire games where all they talked about was calvins lack of production. Every article on every Detroit lions page is about what do with calvin and his cap situation...that was even before he hinted at retirement. he cant stay healthy, his production is suffering, his team isn't winning, his gm was fired, president fired, OC fired. His coach about to be fired probably has a little to do with his decision....but id say its about 5%

I think it has little to do with Caldwell. I think it has to do with even when we were winning everyone was pointing at calvin saying he wasn't doing enough. We had 2 entire games where all they talked about was calvins lack of production. Every article on every Detroit lions page is about what do with calvin and his cap situation...that was even before he hinted at retirement. he cant stay healthy, his production is suffering, his team isn't winning, his gm was fired, president fired, OC fired. His coach about to be fired probably has a little to do with his decision....but id say its about 5%
I don't think pros think like that because at the end of the day they are getting paid very well. His body is beat up and he wants to get out of the sport in reasonable condition to enjoy the rest of his life. He is getting married and will live life to the fullest. I'm sure he has made enough money and was smart enough not to squander it. He will owe the Lions 3.2 million is signing bonus money and they will collect it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't think pros think like that because at the end of the day they are getting paid very well. His body is beat up and he wants to get out of the sport in reasonable condition to enjoy the rest of his life. He is getting married and will live life to the fullest. I'm sure he has made enough money and was smart enough not to squander it. He will owe the Lions 3.2 million is signing bonus money and they will collect it.

This is true. In every case I have ever heard of where a player chose to retire early, the prorated portion of the bonus has to be returned. Barry had to give back millions too.

The only exception is in a case where the player is retiring medically, which means he CAN'T play any more, due to team related injury. Calvin played the last game and finished healthy.

If he does retire, the Lions will recoup the bonus against the cap, but it may not fall in until 2017 depending on any suits.

If Calvin says "hey, I'm done, here's the money back" yeah... it will go in 2016. If he argues it at all and they have to go to court, it won't effect anything this season.

This is true. In every case I have ever heard of where a player chose to retire early, the prorated portion of the bonus has to be returned. Barry had to give back millions too.

The only exception is in a case where the player is retiring medically, which means he CAN'T play any more, due to team related injury. Calvin played the last game and finished healthy.

If he does retire, the Lions will recoup the bonus against the cap, but it may not fall in until 2017 depending on any suits.

If Calvin says "hey, I'm done, here's the money back" yeah... it will go in 2016. If he argues it at all and they have to go to court, it won't effect anything this season.

If CJ retires, we get 11MIL in cap space, right?

If CJ retires, we get 11MIL in cap space, right?

From what I understand, we would get $11.2Mm back in salary cap relief if he retires this season. We would get another $3.2Mm in relief if he returns the signing bonus for this season.

We would take a $4Mm cap hit in 2017 and 2018 as a result of the prorated portions of that bonus.

I am no expert, BY FAR, in the salary cap, and I don't even remember where I read it in the days following his rumored retirement, but that's what I remember reading. I could be off a little.

From what I understand, we would get $11.2Mm back in salary cap relief if he retires this season. We would get another $3.2Mm in relief if he returns the signing bonus for this season.

We would take a $4Mm cap hit in 2017 and 2018 as a result of the prorated portions of that bonus.

I am no expert, BY FAR, in the salary cap, and I don't even remember where I read it in the days following his rumored retirement, but that's what I remember reading. I could be off a little.

Sounds accurate to me because I pretty much read the same thing.

If Calvin retires the bonus money accelerates. So in 2016 we would absorb the Signing bonus for 2016, The option bonus for 2016 and 2017, and the restructure bonus for 2016 and 2017.

So:
3.2 million (signing) + 4 million x 2 (Option) + 858,000 x 2 (restructure) = Total cap hit of 12,916,000 if he retires.

Currently he is schedule to be a 24,0008,000 cap hit if he plays, so the savings is 11,092,000 if he retires (24,008,000-12,196,000 = 11,092,000). There would be no further cap hits in 2017 or beyond if he retires.

The lions can go after the 3,200,000 signing bonus, however that will be credited in whatever year it is actually paid back, if it ever is.

If Calvin retires the bonus money accelerates. So in 2016 we would absorb the Signing bonus for 2016, The option bonus for 2016 and 2017, and the restructure bonus for 2016 and 2017.

So:
3.2 million (signing) + 4 million x 2 (Option) + 858,000 x 2 (restructure) = Total cap hit of 12,916,000 if he retires.

Currently he is schedule to be a 24,0008,000 cap hit if he plays, so the savings is 11,092,000 if he retires (24,008,000-12,196,000 = 11,092,000). There would be no further cap hits in 2017 or beyond if he retires.

The lions can go after the 3,200,000 signing bonus, however that will be credited in whatever year it is actually paid back, if it ever is.

Good to know! Thanks!

So:

Its very similar to trading him, if not the exact same thing. All bonuses that are due get accelerated immediately.....that is why there is so little trading in the NFL. These huge bonuses would immediately hit the teams books and they would screw themselves that year.

Good to know guys. I wasn't aware bonuses accelerated like that, but it does make sense.

Even legally speaking when amortizing a company's assets, you can't allow it to accrue in a year in which the assets were not in service for tax purposes. If you buy a million dollar piece of machinery and amortize over five years, but replace it after two years, the remaining capital expenditure must hit the book in year three.

So that makes sense they would structure like that for legal reasons as well.

Man one more year please cj. I think next year we make a deep playoff run!!!!

You are correct for the most part. Problem is Calvin could drag it out like Barry did but he would be smart to just cut the check the day he hangs it up. The Lions have every right for that money back and Calvin knows it. Barry did as well and caved in eventually.

You are correct for the most part. Problem is Calvin could drag it out like Barry did but he would be smart to just cut the check the day he hangs it up. The Lions have every right for that money back and Calvin knows it. Barry did as well and caved in eventually.

I don't even think he's retiring to be honest.

Right now, it was a rough season. He's been banged up. Lot's of uncertainty in the air. It would make any guy think about it.

But pretty soon they start thinking about the money, and one more season, and how good they feel after a few weeks of rest.

I could be wrong. I just don't think he's going out just yet.

Back