Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chamberlain as closer

Logic says yes. First year manager + veteran closer with an ego the size of Jupiter says not likely, unfortunately.

Probably not going to happen..

Our hitting needs to get us a 3 run lead so Joe an have some cushion..

Last edited:
Unless a trade is worked out sending Nathan packing (unlikely because of his struggles/costs) he will be the Tiger closer all of 2014. (barring injury/suspension)

Joba has been solid for a while now, but who knows how long that will last. His track record is not fantastic. He's currently having the best bullpen season of his career, walks are way down, K's are way up, his FIP (1.61) is 4.03 lower than last year (5.64), we can only hope he maintains it, because he's the only guy holding shit together in the pen.

I just don't see the Brass and Big Brain Brad demoting a guy with Nathans track record, frankly, they just dont have the balls.

I see a DL stint for Nathan in the near future that would address the valid concerns raised here.

I agree it wouldn't be for the season but it feels like Lidge for the Phillies a few years ago.

Nathan will pull it together. The defense has played like shit behind him.

9 hits, 3 BB, 2 HR, 10 ER, 2 blown saves in his last 4 1/3 innings pitched. That's an ERA of 20.78 and a WHIP of 2.77. It's him, not the defense behind him!

"Did I make a pitch? Absolutely. Did I get the result I wanted to, a ground ball? Absolutely," Nathan said. "But unfortunately, it was put into position where, right into a spot where both fielders were kind of going after it, and I think it got into a spot where it was confusing which one would get it." LINK

"I need a strikeout in that situation when I keep putting men on base." would have been better. I don't like Nathan I am sorry to say. His Nick C. comments put him under a microscope and he has responded poorly since.

"Did I make a pitch? Absolutely. Did I get the result I wanted to, a ground ball? Absolutely," Nathan said. "But unfortunately, it was put into position where, right into a spot where both fielders were kind of going after it, and I think it got into a spot where it was confusing which one would get it." LINK

"I need a strikeout in that situation when I keep putting men on base." would have been better. I don't like Nathan I am sorry to say. His Nick C. comments put him under a microscope and he has responded poorly since.

What he doesn't seem to understand is when his defense makes a mistake they need him to pick them up. The same as I'm sure he expects them to help him out when he gives up hits/walks.

It's not like either situation the bases were clean before the fielding errors happened, Nathan allowed those men to reach in the first place, so he still has the larger share of responsibility. Same with every pitcher who has ever taken the mound.

Nathan will pull it together. The defense has played like shit behind him.

Nathan has the worst Walk per game average of any of the DET pitchers above 10 IP with 4.7 BB/G. Yup, the defense needs to be better on those walks.

What he doesn't seem to understand is when his defense makes a mistake they need him to pick them up. The same as I'm sure he expects them to help him out when he gives up hits/walks.

It's not like either situation the bases were clean before the fielding errors happened, Nathan allowed those men to reach in the first place, so he still has the larger share of responsibility. Same with every pitcher who has ever taken the mound.

Wayyyy more fun to agree with you than argue all the time!

It is odd because he was the veteran who wasn't going to get rattled. I saw an article last week (which I didn't read) that talked about how he was imparting life and baseball wisdom to the young guys. That was a day before the Nick C. incident. Given his body language and demeanor last night it looks like that has changed.

The underlined part is why I was surprised he didn't take a different direction on the answer. He had already fornicated the proverbial canine before the play happened.

Nathan has the worst Walk per game average of any of the DET pitchers above 10 IP with 4.7 BB/G. Yup, the defense needs to be better on those walks.

Walks are up but average defense on the left side of the field is not there for him at this time.

You can't just put all the blame on Nathan. Joe was on a roll before the Bad game in Oakland

The Nick C error against Oakland seemed to set off this recent downward spiral off for Nathan.

Also last night Romine should have had that routine grounder.

Texas had the best defensive 3b in Beltre and an excellent defensive SS in Andrus playing behind Nathan last year.

By the way Rebbiv Kinsler has an .836 OPS in Comerica this year with 3 Hr's in 109 AB's.

All your anti Ian Kinsler comments about not being able to hit in Comerica made u look like a complete idiot.

It's time for you to eat Ian Kinsler crow. you could not have been more wrong about him.

The Nick C error against Oakland seemed to set off this recent downward spiral off for Nathan.

All your anti Ian Kinsler comments about not being able to hit in Comerica made u look like a complete idiot.

It's time for you to eat Ian Kinsler crow. you could not have been more wrong about him.

Were his comments after the Nick C. error surprising to you? That he didn't recant or soften them the next day didn't seem odd?

Don't cook or serve crow until September, there is a lot of baseball to play. Ian has met my expectations but he makes mistakes for which you would chastise a little league player. Ranger fans warned us, and we've seen them proved correct.

Walks are up but average defense on the left side of the field is not there for him at this time.

You can't just put all the blame on Nathan. Joe was on a roll before the Bad game in Oakland

So you're basically saying he has sucked because someone else made a bad play? Is he so fucking fragile that a single error can send him into a downward spiral of suck?

Make all the excuses for him you like, he's not getting the job done regardless of what misplays his defense has made.

Texas had the best defensive 3b in Beltre and an excellent defensive SS in Andrus playing behind Nathan last year.

By the way Rebbiv Kinsler has an .836 OPS in Comerica this year with 3 Hr's in 109 AB's.

I said nothing about Comerica. It is his away stats and still is. And I wouldn't be mentioning anything after just 1/3 of a season. A lot can happen to see who eats crow.

The other pitchers are pitching with the same defense behind them.

Why are we not having threads discussing their performance?

Back