Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cheap Sunglasses

SouthOfMackinac

Just got new Oakley sunglasses today to replace the ones I got in 2007. Those were $120 as I recall. These were roughly the same with a Visa discount I had.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/700285039152?cid=cse-google-pla-700285039152

They're awesome. Like a glove for my eyes.

I'm curious though. Do people spend big on their sunglasses or break / lose them too often and buy the cheap ones? Somebody MUST be buying the ones off the gas station displays.

I suppose there is always the "squint" / stare in to the sun approach also.

I buy the 8-10 dollar ones at kiosks in the mall. Generally I grab two pairs at a time and throw the extra pair in the glove compartment. They generally last me a year or more.

I buy the 8-10 dollar ones at kiosks in the mall. Generally I grab two pairs at a time and throw the extra pair in the glove compartment. They generally last me a year or more.

lol same here. sometimes, i'll just grab a pair in the gas station!

Never been one to care about fashion. Typical wear for me is flip flops/basketball shoes, khaki shorts, plain t-shirt, lions/tigers/wolverines hat.

lol same here. sometimes, i'll just grab a pair in the gas station!

Never been one to care about fashion. Typical wear for me is flip flops/basketball shoes, khaki shorts, plain t-shirt, lions/tigers/wolverines hat.

I didn't even consider the fashion implication. I snowboard, kayak and cycle so a good pair of sunglasses is vital for comfort. Not sure I could live without polarized lenses having worn them so long. Flat light sucks when you're trying to see depressions in snow.

Were I gonna go fashion I would buy some gas station glasses just to change color.

I didn't even consider the fashion implication. I snowboard, kayak and cycle so a good pair of sunglasses is vital for comfort. Not sure I could live without polarized lenses having worn them so long. Flat light sucks when you're trying to see depressions in snow.

Were I gonna go fashion I would buy some gas station glasses just to change color.

Haha. I get it.

I've lost so many pairs of sunglasses that I finally have stopped buying them.

It was hard at first, but I entered into a 12 step sunglasses recovery program.

It helps some, but I do tire of the constant "after I lost my 14th pair of Oakleys" or the "I used to camp out on Rodeo Drive" whining of the other recovering addicts gets on my nerves.

Plus I can never get the smell of the cigarette smoke out of my clothes.

I've lost so many pairs of sunglasses that I finally have stopped buying them.

It was hard at first, but I entered into a 12 step sunglasses recovery program.

It helps some, but I do tire of the constant "after I lost my 14th pair of Oakleys" or the "I used to camp out on Rodeo Drive" whining of the other recovering addicts gets on my nerves.

Plus I can never get the smell of the cigarette smoke out of my clothes.

My last two pairs of Oakley's have lasted at least six years and the last pair is still viable. I'll admit I have a little OCD when it comes to keeping them located. Kinda like a wallet panic when I get separated. But I'm pretty cheap and I can't buy more than a pair every half-decade.

I grew up without good vision so couldn't wear sunglasses until I got contacts. Then I didn't think about them and just squinted. I can't go back to that again. Are you squinting then? In California? That's hardcore.

I also buy cheap sunglasses. I've given up on nice ones, because it really doesn't matter. Plus I seem more likely to lose those. You can get polarized glasses for $15 at Walgreens, and they last longer.

I've done both. I used to have access to 'at cost' prices when I had my snowboard shop, so could get $80 for $40. But for some reason, the shades I have the longest tend to be the cheaper ones and when I do drop $ on a nicer pair, I lose them.

That just happened. Got some Maui Jim's while in Scottsdale because I lost my Raybans at TSA in Denver. Now I'm wearing a pair I bought in prob 2006 that have been in a drawer for years.

I've done both. I used to have access to 'at cost' prices when I had my snowboard shop, so could get $80 for $40. But for some reason, the shades I have the longest tend to be the cheaper ones and when I do drop $ on a nicer pair, I lose them.

That just happened. Got some Maui Jim's while in Scottsdale because I lost my Raybans at TSA in Denver. Now I'm wearing a pair I bought in prob 2006 that have been in a drawer for years.

I gained an appreciation for fine sunglasses working at a ski/snowboard shop. My job was RTV - Return to Vendor. All day long sending back Oakley's I swore I would never buy those overpriced pieces of crap. As I rode more I realized all those people were face planting and breaking them. "I was just skiing along and my glasses blew up! Give me a new pair!"

I wear prescription so I just get a old pair tinted dark brown..10 bucks. It's perfect.

I always bought cheap sunglasses, the Ray Ban knockoffs, mixed results on how long they would last. Got a pair of real Ray Bans for a graduation gift a couple months ago, so far so good.

Sorry but good sunglasses or not, you cannot tell me Oakleys are worth what they cost.

I have several pairs of polarized sunglasses in different frame styles and tints, none of which were over $40, or what I'd call cheap in terms of quality.

With Oakleys you are just paying the difference for the name; sorry but $110 for the Oakley name is just silly.

My last two pairs of Oakley's have lasted at least six years and the last pair is still viable. I'll admit I have a little OCD when it comes to keeping them located. Kinda like a wallet panic when I get separated. But I'm pretty cheap and I can't buy more than a pair every half-decade.

I grew up without good vision so couldn't wear sunglasses until I got contacts. Then I didn't think about them and just squinted. I can't go back to that again. Are you squinting then? In California? That's hardcore.

Nah. I don't squint, even in the SoCal sun.

But I'm about to turn 54, so when I'm pulling out and reaching for my readers (because I always text and drive) and they're not there (because once again, I have forgotten them to bring them), I'm like all "god damnit..."

Oakley's are still around? Shit, I knew I shoulda held on to my guess jeans!

Sorry but good sunglasses or not, you cannot tell me Oakleys are worth what they cost.

I have several pairs of polarized sunglasses in different frame styles and tints, none of which were over $40, or what I'd call cheap in terms of quality.

With Oakleys you are just paying the difference for the name; sorry but $110 for the Oakley name is just silly.

Smiths, Eclipse, Vuarnet, Revo - all sunglasses I owned before I started buying Oakley. They would last two years max before some plastic piece or hinge wore out. With my Oakleys the only thing that wears out are the ear pieces because I wear them so much. Three pair in 14 years is a testament to durability for me. You can of course assign your own metric of success or failure for yours.

I'm going to put you in the middle of the road category.

Nah. I don't squint, even in the SoCal sun.

But I'm about to turn 54, so when I'm pulling out and reaching for my readers (because I always text and drive) and they're not there (because once again, I have forgotten them to bring them), I'm like all "god damnit..."

Moon makes me squint. But I'm sensitive to the Daystar since I work midnights.

Oakley has retail stores and sells a lot more than glasses.

Oh, look ...in this snowboard shop in CO - Oakley swim trunks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back